NCL's false advertising (-40/50%)

MiniJeffrey

34 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Publix and Winn-Dixie already do that. 

But those have real savings, like BOGOS and discounted prices that we know are real discounts because they expire in one week. Not the same IMHO.  Cruise lines make up 50% off and we know it was not 50% higher before that sale.

• Like 1

i brought this up many moons ago. since you know ncl is doing this (all you had to do was follow a cruise you wanted) you would see that there are no massive sales. armed with this knowledge, simply take a deep breath, shrug your shoulders, and book or not.

it's nothing to get rattled about, since you know it's happening, or going to happen.

sometimes, not often, but sometimes a good deal is to be found.  we're on a 17day trans atlantic from rio  to lisbon, in a 2 bedroom suite.  the cost of the cabin with the additional perks, taxes, port charges was just under $6,000. i thought it  was a  steal

they do however offer a 10% military discount if you apply with id me. depending on the type of cabin, this could be a significant savings

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Cruise lines make up 50% off and we know it was not 50% higher before that sale.

WE (savvy cruisers, CC members, etc.) know that the $1,000 cruise isn't really a $2,000 cruise marked down to $1,000 with the sale but the noob cruiser thinks "...wow, I'd better book now so I can save a thousand dollars....".

It's all to make the customer feel like they got a great deal. Those BOGO deals seem better when the item is overpriced. If Walmart has an item for $2 but Publix has it for $3.80 and it's BOGO, the person who shops at Publix sees the "You saved $3.80..." on the receipt and feels better. The reality is that the Publix shopper saved 20 cents buying more than they probably wanted/needed. If the "feeling of a great deal" makes the shopper continue to go to Publix, the store will easily make back that 20 cents on some other overpriced items. NCL wants to lure people in the same way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

WE (savvy cruisers, CC members, etc.) know that the $1,000 cruise isn't really a $2,000 cruise marked down to $1,000 with the sale but the noob cruiser thinks "...wow, I'd better book now so I can save a thousand dollars....".

It's all to make the customer feel like they got a great deal. Those BOGO deals seem better when the item is overpriced. If Walmart has an item for $2 but Publix has it for $3.80 and it's BOGO, the person who shops at Publix sees the "You saved $3.80..." on the receipt and feels better. The reality is that the Publix shopper saved 20 cents buying more than they probably wanted/needed. If the "feeling of a great deal" makes the shopper continue to go to Publix, the store will easily make back that 20 cents on some other overpriced items. NCL wants to lure people in the same way.

All of that is true. And it's pretty much based on the time-tested truth of gullibility, the same reason people click on spam content and send millions to non-existent royalty in far-off countries. Not sure what the solution is. I have theories, but they'd violate the rules of this forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't buy the grocery store analogy because we don't see 50% off any item in a grocery store and the price never changes.  The store always lists the original price next to the discount sign. Grocery stores could not get away with that sort of gimmickry.  Maybe because I book directly with the cruise line that I understand their slick marketing a bit better.  50% off cruises does not mean any discount on pricing.  They get away with that because you will notice they add both cruise fares together now.  They are saying the cruise is half priced because the other cruise fare is free.  The only problem with that is you never were allowed to book half a fare.  Single people were always penalized and made to book double occupancy.  Even though single people ate half the food, etc.  The cruise line felt they were losing money and made you book double occupancy.  Now that is gone if you book a cruise directly with NCL.  They are basically saying the other person cruises free which is misleading since the price never changed.  They added both fares together and want us to forget booking both fares was always necessary.  Its like saying "Car for sale.  Buy the car and get the engine free.  Was it not always part of the car?

Edited by david_sobe

The one  real sale item tends to be the 50% free at sea. (UK bookings)

I am watching all the UK departures and most did not change price  when the 50% free at sea offer was on last week.

Prices are currently over double where  they need to be so there was room for some reduction.

dcguy. the solution is actually very simple. after a few sailings, you will realize that the price doesnt really change. pick a cruise, ship, and look at the price. wait until that particular "sale" is over and check the  cruise, ship and price once more. repeat as necessary, but you probably wont need to do  this more than  2 or 3 times. since these alleged sales only last for a few days, it's unlikely that the cruise and cabin category you 1st checked on has changed in the short time. 

once you are savvy to this, quote the who "wont get fooled again"