Lost and found

Ineke

We’ve just returned from our Tales of the South Pacific cruise, and realized that my husband has left his Spot locator on board the Volendam somewhere.  How do we get in touch with the right department to see if it has been found?

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

What about the luggage trackers (AirTags?) that half the travellers seem to be using?

They are not on the prohibited list and depend on being in contact with another Apple product.  I don’t think they work the same way.  They certainly go where I go - that’s for sure and never had an issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FOPMan said:

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons are on HAL's list of prohibited items (https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/faq#prohibited-items).

Spots lay be considered EPIRBs and, if so, should not be brought on board.

That’s interesting, we did not realize that. Certainly plenty of staff saw him use it every morning, including the captain, and while someone often asked what it was, no one questioned its use.  Same when we were checking in. In any case, we may no longer have it, although we will certainly need to replace it if it is lost. We won’t go on one of our long road trips without it. 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

If you go on the HAL site, click the contact, email and the Lost and Found category is there.  Everything found on the ships is sent to the Lost and Found Department.

Thanks, Kazu, will do. Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

What about the luggage trackers (AirTags?) that half the travellers seem to be using?

Airtags aren't EPIRBs. They have no satellite capabilities.

I believe the issue historically has been issues regarding signal clarity/interference with ships' systens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have a Spot and it is not an EPIRB.

Last month we were on the Westerdam, and my husband carried his Spot off and on the ship daily. It went through the X-ray machine and was never questioned.

In fact, it goes all around the world with us where ever we travel.

20 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons are on HAL's list of prohibited items (https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/faq#prohibited-items).

EPIRB's and SPOT's are two very different pieces of equipment. While they share some functionality, the underlying technology is quite different and they operate on different satellite networks. Also, EPIRB's are designed for use on water, while SPOT and similar satellite messengers are designed for use on land, although both can be used interchangeably. 

Google EPIRB vs SPOT vs PLB.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:33 PM, FOPMan said:

SPOT and InReach devices are not classified as EPIRBS and they are allowed on HAL ships.

My partner and I BOTH left our jackets in the closet and I left my ENTIRE jewelry case in our cabin last May. I could not believe we did that! But nevertheless, we just filled out the forms online on the HolladAmerica website, then paid a shipping fee and they were shipped to us. Easy peasy. It's a third party company they use but it works well.

• Like 1