Specialty dining discounts on board ... current status

We board our cruise (Odyssey) this coming weekend and were hoping for some specialty discounts for dinner, but the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales did not change the prices (have been the same for six+ months).   We were able to get some good lunch reservations at Chops and Giovanni's for 17.99/14.99, but the Chops +1 and 3 night dining package hasn't changed.  Has Royal been offering any discounted dining lately onboard (even for the first night) or is that a thing of the past?

Thank you for your help!

If the specialty dining venues aren't filling up, it is possible to see some discounts while on board. Look for the specialty dining staff walking around, trying to entice cruisers to purchase some specialty dining at a discount. If they're offering 10% off, I suggest that you offer 30-40% off. Maybe even let them walk away from you, and possibly coming back to you awhile later, after checking with management. That has worked for us in the past. Good luck! Bon Voyage! Cheers!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SilkySal said:

If the specialty dining venues aren't filling up, it is possible to see some discounts while on board. Look for the specialty dining staff walking around, trying to entice cruisers to purchase some specialty dining at a discount. If they're offering 10% off, I suggest that you offer 30-40% off. Maybe even let them walk away from you, and possibly coming back to you awhile later, after checking with management. That has worked for us in the past. Good luck! Bon Voyage! Cheers!

Thanks for the reply and good advice.  I told my wife your reply and she asked if we were related as she rolled her eyes ...lol

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Farmer_John said:

We board our cruise (Odyssey) this coming weekend and were hoping for some specialty discounts for dinner, but the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales did not change the prices (have been the same for six+ months).   We were able to get some good lunch reservations at Chops and Giovanni's for 17.99/14.99, but the Chops +1 and 3 night dining package hasn't changed.  Has Royal been offering any discounted dining lately onboard (even for the first night) or is that a thing of the past?

Thank you for your help!

You missed Pasta Day with Jamie's pricing for dinner @ $40.99 excl. grats and Chop's Halloween special of $51.99 excl. grats.  These prices were for Anthem and Symphony sails.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

You missed Pasta Day with Jamie's pricing for dinner @ $40.99 excl. grats and Chop's Halloween special of $51.99 excl. grats.  These prices were for Anthem and Symphony sails.

I am definitely not a fan of Jamie's and wouldn't even pay close to that to go there, but those prices are no where close to what I consider a deal.  Chops+1 is currently at 88.99 which I think is overpriced especially with having to pay $15 extra for Hibachi.  My Oasis class cruises over last New Year's and winter as well as my Quantum Ultra (Spectrum) out of Singapore this year were a lot more reasonable per specialty dining night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farmer_John said:

I am definitely not a fan of Jamie's and wouldn't even pay close to that to go there, but those prices are no where close to what I consider a deal.  Chops+1 is currently at 88.99 which I think is overpriced especially with having to pay $15 extra for Hibachi.  My Oasis class cruises over last New Year's and winter as well as my Quantum Ultra (Spectrum) out of Singapore this year were a lot more reasonable per specialty dining night.

Good luck on your endeavor.🤣

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

Remember, Hibachi is attached to the Izumi restaurant, not Chops (if you didn't know that).

Thanks, I did know that.  I have eaten at the Hibachi/Teppanyaki on Harmony and Spectrum earlier this year.  Getting a reservation on Harmony was difficult because it was a very small venue.  I was shocked at how many tables (a lot) they had on Spectrum, so I am hoping Odyssey (sister ship) is the same with large capacity.  We always have a good time and meal at Hibachi and it is one of my favorites along with 150 and then Chops.  The Chops+1 is basically a two night dining package for Chops and one other venue, but there are surcharges for Hibachi or Chef's Table (obviously) with the dining packages now.

• Like 1

I always enjoy Hibachi as well but prefer not to pay for the surcharge (if there is one). On our last cruise, I was lucky enough to see a price "mistake" for a dinner at Hibachi. The price listed for dinner was the lunch price, so I snagged it for the 2 of us! That price was only listed for a few hours but, like prices have been posted wrong in the past, they honored the mistake! Score!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update,  I was able to do the Teppanyaki on the first night of the cruise on a 50% discount (64.99 for 2) at 7pm,  which I was very happy about.  It was pretty easy, I just had to ask the people trying to sell dining packages.  I just wish I would have scheduled one more night at the end since the "Bon Voyage" menu is definitely not my favorite.

• Like 1

We're fortunate to be D+, and take advantage of the BOGO perk ... supposedly for the first two nights only, but they've always made accommodations for us if we have a conflict with, for example, a show reservation. What we're doing now is booking reservations in advance using our OBC when checking in online, taking advantage of the discounted prices. Once aboard, we use the BOGO benefit, so all our dinners end up complimentary. It's also great for the waitstaff, since we tip very generously ... again using our OBC. Such a deal!!!

On 11/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, SilkySal said:

I don't think specialty dining is filling up -- and I think it's because the prices are just too high.  I have encountered wait staff walking around with clipboards -- in the stairwells, by the pools -- trying to convince cruisers to sign up for a dinner at X percent off.  Since we never bother with specialty restaurants, I never considered negotiating the percentage.  Interesting idea. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:00 PM, SilkySal said:

I’m laughing here because we were on Odyssey TA and I kept negotiating the price for Giovanni’s. I had booked lunch and we considered an early dinner instead and I had him down 30% off the price. My DH gets a kick out of the way I do it. It’s fun.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m laughing here because we were on Odyssey TA and I kept negotiating the price for Giovanni’s. I had booked lunch and we considered an early dinner instead and I had him down 30% off the price. My DH gets a kick out of the way I do it. It’s fun.

Negotiating with whom.

16 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't think specialty dining is filling up -- and I think it's because the prices are just too high.  I have encountered wait staff walking around with clipboards -- in the stairwells, by the pools -- trying to convince cruisers to sign up for a dinner at X percent off.  Since we never bother with specialty restaurants, I never considered negotiating the percentage.  Interesting idea. 

I usually eat at a specialty restaurant at least half the nights of a cruise. In the last two months I have eaten at numerous specialty restaurants on  Adventure, Independence, Freedom and Liberty. Without exception every specialty restaurant was crowded, so they are still filing up based on my experience. What I don’t know is what price other passengers are paying for these restaurants. On all of these cruises they let me use the D+ BOGO benefit later in the cruise, although it is supposed to be valid on only the first two nights of a cruise, so they obviously have some flexibility. I am not a big fan of the new Italian and Caribbean menus, so at a minimum those are always speciality restaurant nights. 

On 12/11/2023 at 12:00 AM, jewopaho said:

We're fortunate to be D+, and take advantage of the BOGO perk ... supposedly for the first two nights only, but they've always made accommodations for us if we have a conflict with, for example, a show reservation. What we're doing now is booking reservations in advance using our OBC when checking in online, taking advantage of the discounted prices. Once aboard, we use the BOGO benefit, so all our dinners end up complimentary. It's also great for the waitstaff, since we tip very generously ... again using our OBC. Such a deal!!!

We are only a short cruise away from D+, but even the benefit supposedly excludes Hibachi and a few others.  As with most of the dining policies it appears YMMV depending on ship or manager you talk to.  

When you are making your early reservations for BOGO to get the discount are you reserving for 2 on Day 1 or 2 and then making the free reservation for later?  I am just curious what is working.

• 2 months later...

I have normally seen 40% off unlimited specialty dinning over 90 days out from a sailing with 50% given several day before. However, with our next cruise only 60 days away only 10 to 15 percent off being offered.  When doing a mock booking, all specialty restaurants are showing all times open so assuming people are waiting for a bigger discount. We will wait to see if this happens or are offered one on board. However, if not the free food will be fine with us. I believe RC saves about $30 per head if one eats all their meals at paid SR, so not sure why they are not offering larger discounts to fill them up before cruise day.

50 minutes ago, SailorSam12 said:

I have normally seen 40% off unlimited specialty dinning over 90 days out from a sailing with 50% given several day before. However, with our next cruise only 60 days away only 10 to 15 percent off being offered.  When doing a mock booking, all specialty restaurants are showing all times open so assuming people are waiting for a bigger discount. We will wait to see if this happens or are offered one on board. However, if not the free food will be fine with us. I believe RC saves about $30 per head if one eats all their meals at paid SR, so not sure why they are not offering larger discounts to fill them up before cruise day.

Within the past month pasta day or whatever, Jamie's or Giovanni depending which ship, lunch was again 40% off. All be one lunch black friday was 40% off. I've been seeing lunches packed and dinner not as much. Izumi sushi the one day, must have sold out was so crowded. Those 40% off deals sold lunches lol. I bought.