Rome Excursions

gcbranscome

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you made a good choice to do the following cruise as well. As you said, you're already over there (and airfare is so expensive now....)

As you read, feel free to ask questions about things. Nice that you have so much time to plan. You'll be able to get a good idea of what you are interesting in seeing & doing in port if you do a little research.

Lol I dislike italian food generally so I'm not real sure it's a great idea. I dont eat pasta or cooked tomatoes. My friends asked me ., are you going to be able to find food, mcdonalds is expensive. Well of course I dont want to eat at mcdonalds anyway.  Leg 2 I saw hit greece twice .. rome just happens to be the last stop.  Friends i meet booked the 3rd leg .. ends in Athens greece. I've considered it lol. 

I read hotel reviews for some that have lots of good reviews and lower cost than the one everyone here seems to book. They had to download what's app to communicate with their hotel. So i either have to pay a extra $1k for a hotel or i get one where english may not be spoken much. Looking at 4 days since the common hotel requires min 4 nights stay, but I'm open. 

I wanted greece. .. 2nd leg, booked already. I didnt say to myself oh let's go to rome, lolol. I said ooooh look 2 stops in greece, I wannna go to greece. 10 days 2nd leg. End in rome. Yes I'm feeling lost lol.

VISITING:

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Ajaccio, Corsica
  • Sardinia (Cagliari), Italy
  • Sicily (Palermo), Italy
  • Santorini, Greece
  • Athens (Piraeus), Greece
  • Mykonos, Greece
  • Naples / Capri, Italy
  • Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Edited by firefly333

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I dislike italian food generally so I'm not real sure it's a great idea. I dont eat pasta or cooked tomatoes. My friends asked me ., are you going to be able to find food, mcdonalds is expensive. Well of course I dont want to eat at mcdonalds anyway.  Leg 2 I saw hit greece twice .. rome just happens to be the last stop.  Friends i meet booked the 3rd leg .. ends in Athens greece. I've considered it lol. 

I read hotel reviews for some that have lots of good reviews and lower cost than the one everyone here seems to book. They had to download what's app to communicate with their hotel. So i either have to pay a extra $1k for a hotel or i get one where english may not be spoken much. Looking at 4 days since the common hotel requires min 4 nights stay, but I'm open. 

I wanted greece. .. 2nd leg, booked already. I didnt say to myself oh let's go to rome, lolol. I said ooooh look 2 stops in greece, I wannna go to greece. 10 days 2nd leg. End in rome. Yes I'm feeling lost lol.

VISITING:

• Barcelona, Spain
  • Ajaccio, Corsica
  • Sardinia (Cagliari), Italy
  • Sicily (Palermo), Italy
  • Santorini, Greece
  • Athens (Piraeus), Greece
  • Mykonos, Greece
  • Naples / Capri, Italy
  • Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Well, I must admit that I love Rome. I hope you can find some things about it that interest you. It is such a magnificent city with so much to see. Ancient history (including the Colosseum), beautiful piazzas and fountains, magnificent art. If you like shopping there is jewelry, leather (Italian leather shoes are legendary), ceramics, and much more.

Italian food is varied, unlike what most Americans think it is. Almost any true Italian restaurant will serve a roast chicken dish and some kind of steak on their dinner menu. Remember, pasta is just a course between appetizer and entree to Italians....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, I must admit that I love Rome. I hope you can find some things about it that interest you. It is such a magnificent city with so much to see. Ancient history (including the Colosseum), beautiful piazzas and fountains, magnificent art. If you like shopping there is jewelry, leather (Italian leather shoes are legendary), ceramics, and much more.

Italian food is varied, unlike what most Americans think it is. Almost any true Italian restaurant will serve a roast chicken dish and some kind of steak on their dinner menu. Remember, pasta is just a course between appetizer and entree to Italians....

For sure I want to see the Colosseum. And tivoli and the spanish steps. I guess the vatican, not a huge draw for me. My friends who have been there tell me I cant just do it by the seat of my pants, I need to plan tours out ahead. It will be very crowded at the excursion places. I wish I wasnt solo, but if I want to go, I said just do it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last October, during our trip to Rome, we took a private tour to visit Tivoli gardens and we stopped at Hadrians Villa and Gregorian villa, 2 really amazing places! The first one with its roman archaelogical area was so interesting to us (since we had no time to go to Pompeii) and the second one, a beautiful park with river waterfalls close by, not that crowded at all! Tivoli was worth the visit being just 40 minutes away from Rome. We booked it through a local company Shore Excursions in Italy.net

• 1 month later...

We just came back from a wonderful 7 days Mediterranean cruise aboard of "Star Legend" from Barcelona to Civitavechia....what a wonderful experience aboard of this small cruise ship (we usually cruise much bigger ones), service on board is incredible!

When we ended the cruise at Rome port, we took a fantastic tour, on our way to Rome, where we previously have been, to discover the "Etruscan area", visiting 2 small villages of Tuscania and Tarquinia, again booking with Shore Excursions in Italy.net,  the transportation tour company we previously used last year and again we had another great day with them!

We visited the interesting Etruscan museum and their tombs in the largest burial area.

Great farm stop for lunch and wine tasting in the countryside not far from the city!

If you already visited Rome, I suggest you to tour this beautiful area not far from the port and Rome either....

On 12/2/2023 at 7:27 PM, RobInMN said:

When we did the Western Med (Symphony's inaugural season), we specifically chose to do it out of Rome (Civitavecchia) so that we could spend a week in Rome before hand. And that still wasn't enough time.

You will either need to pick a single thing to do in depth (like the Vatican), or do a "Rome in a day" quick drive-by of Rome's most popular attractions. Keep in mind that there is a a 1+ hour drive each way, so you have to account for that.

Because there is so much and your time is limited, I would second what @Norwich Cruiser recommends. If anything, you will not be limited by slow or late people.

Oh, and pre-book "skip the line" tickets for everything you can.

What all did you do?  We have a private tour booked for the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and the Forum one day, and a private tour of the Vatican the next.  First day there we just plan to walk around, see the Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and Pantheon. What else were your highlights?  I’m trying to figure out what would keep us occupied there another full day.  We should have plenty of time for shopping the three days we’ve already planned out. 

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What all did you do?  We have a private tour booked for the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and the Forum one day, and a private tour of the Vatican the next.  First day there we just plan to walk around, see the Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and Pantheon. What else were your highlights?  I’m trying to figure out what would keep us occupied there another full day.  We should have plenty of time for shopping the three days we’ve already planned out. 

We've become fans of City Wonders. 

Day 1: Arrived, checked into our airbnb.

Day 2: Wandered Rome on our own. Did not enter anywhere. Started down at Circus Maximus (since that was not included in any of our tours), then by the Arch of Constantine, the Colosseum, outside the Forums, along Via dei Fori Imperiali up to the Alter of the Fatherland. We then made our way to the Spanish Steps where our evening tour began, which was 'Illuminated Rome Night Tour with Wine and Appetizers'. We thought this ended up being a great introduction tour and included Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and Pantheon.

Day 3: Borghese Gallery. Unfortunately, I bought tickets only. I would highly recommend booking a tour guide. Later, we did the Colosseum by night. This included the underground area.

Day 4: Took the high speed train to Bologna, and then caught a city bus to Sant'Agata (1 hour each way) and went to the Lamborghini Factory and Museum, then reversed that and went back to Rome. Tis was a 12 hour day, but totally worth it. But book the factory tour, not just the museum.

Day 5: 'Extended Vatican Museums', and then 'Crypts and Catacombs'

Day 6: 'Colosseum Belvedere with Roman Forums'. This tour did the 4th & 5th levels, then the Forums, which included Palpatine Hill. This whole place could easily be 3 or 4 separate sites. You can spend hours wandering around.

Day 7: Checked out and went to the port for the cruise.

Yes, 2 different Colosseum tours and walked around it on the outside another time. I'm a bit fascinated by the Colosseum. I have the Lego set with a framed collage photo next to it.

We are going on another cruise out of Rome in October, and going in 3 days before. For that, we've booked:

Day 1: Arrive, check into our airbnb, then that night we'll do the 'Dark Heart of Rome: Ghost and Mystery Walking Tour by Night'. This is the tour that started the whole City Wonders company.

Day 2: 'Semi-Private Ostia Antica Half-Day Tour: An Ancient Roman City Frozen in Time'

Day 3: 'The Official Angels & Demons Tour'. This tour is supposed to be very, very good, and Castel Sant'Angelo is part of it. Later, we've booked the 'Roman Jewish Ghetto and Trastevere Food Tour with Dinner'

Day 4: 'St. Peter’s Basilica Tour with Dome Climb & Papal Crypts'. Not 100% sure we'll do this or not. It's from 7:50am - 10:50am, and we have to checkout of the airbnb by 10:00 and then head to the port.

So, plenty of options. Take your pick. 🙂 

13 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Day 2: Wandered Rome on our own. Did not enter anywhere. Started down at Circus Maximus (since that was not included in any of our tours), then by the Arch of Constantine, the Colosseum, outside the Forums, along Via dei Fori Imperiali up to the Alter of the Fatherland. We then made our way to the Spanish Steps where our evening tour began, which was 'Illuminated Rome Night Tour with Wine and Appetizers'. We thought this ended up being a great introduction tour and included Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and Pantheon.

Day 3: Borghese Gallery. Unfortunately, I bought tickets only. I would highly recommend booking a tour guide. Later, we did the Colosseum by night. This included the underground area.

Day 4: Took the high speed train to Bologna, and then caught a city bus to Sant'Agata (1 hour each way) and went to the Lamborghini Factory and Museum, then reversed that and went back to Rome. Tis was a 12 hour day, but totally worth it. But book the factory tour, not just the museum.

Day 6: 'Colosseum Belvedere with Roman Forums'. This tour did the 4th & 5th levels, then the Forums, which included Palpatine Hill. This whole place could easily be 3 or 4 separate sites. You can spend hours wandering around.

Yes, 2 different Colosseum tours and walked around it on the outside another time. I'm a bit fascinated by the Colosseum. I have the Lego set with a framed collage photo next to it.

We are going on another cruise out of Rome in October, and going in 3 days before. For that, we've booked:

Day 1: Arrive, check into our airbnb, then that night we'll do the 'Dark Heart of Rome: Ghost and Mystery Walking Tour by Night'. This is the tour that started the whole City Wonders company.

Day 2: 'Semi-Private Ostia Antica Half-Day Tour: An Ancient Roman City Frozen in Time'

Day 3: 'The Official Angels & Demons Tour'. This tour is supposed to be very, very good, and Castel Sant'Angelo is part of it. Later, we've booked the 'Roman Jewish Ghetto and Trastevere Food Tour with Dinner'

Day 4: 'St. Peter’s Basilica Tour with Dome Climb & Papal Crypts'. Not 100% sure we'll do this or not. It's from 7:50am - 10:50am, and we have to checkout of the airbnb by 10:00 and then head to the port.

Thanks!  You've given me some ideas and I'm very interested in some options with CityWonders.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2024 at 9:02 PM, RobInMN said:

On 2/28/2024 at 10:57 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks!  You've given me some ideas and I'm very interested in some options with CityWonders.  

We also used CityWonders in Milan and London and we had a great experience with them: they provided very informative walking guided tours!

• Like 1