Veteran or First Responder OBC

Ilovesailaway

Ty for the responses. Unfortunately I forgot to aply for 1st responder or veteran credit before I booked and paid for my cruise. I booked just last week.

Now I am beeing told in a text chat by HA that I cannot receive the credit for either because I didn't fill out the verification request before I booked? I believe I have been able to have the credit applied post booking in the past. This doesn't seem very appreciative lol.

I asked the person on the chat if they could refer me to someone who could better explain the policy and they gave me a phone number of (877) 724-5425. I will try tomorrow.

I was able to get the FR credit after booking my 2022 cruise but their terms may have changed since then. They now clearly state the promo is only for new cruises. Also, I don't think you can get both, as the promo code is ZH and only one is allowed per stateroom.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-deals/community-appreciation-cruise-offers/healthcare-firstresponder-appreciation-offer

You might want to go ahead and submit a verification and see what happens. Back when I did it, the OBC automatically showed up after the verification was submitted - I did not have to contact anyone.

Edited by MTAK

You fill in your info and to include name mariner # and where you work. Sheer ID verified my eligibily instantly. Then you are asked to make a booking to get the credit.  You are not given the oportunity to add a booking number for an existing booking.

I seem to recall under the old system you could add a booking number and recieve the credit after you were booked. You submitted for the credit and waited to hear back.

I'm scratching my head. I booked last week and today I remembered about the appreciation progam and applied for the OBC. Now I can't get it.

If had thought to apply for the OBC before I booked I would be good to go. My cruise qualifies and my rates are the same as the one I recieved last week. I have paid for the cruise. 

I don't feel very appreciated lol.

So just a heads up to vets, teachers, first responders, and others who HA has an appreciation program for. Apply for your OBC before you book.  (so strange)

By the same logic shouldn't share holders only get OBC if they are approved for it before they book?

On 12/3/2023 at 3:25 PM, Ilovesailaway said:

If had thought to apply for the OBC before I booked I would be good to go. My cruise qualifies and my rates are the same as the one I recieved last week. I have paid for the cruise. 

I don't feel very appreciated lol.

How far out is your cruise?  Have you already paid it in full?  Refundable deposit? Any other perks that you wouldn't get if booking today?

Depending on the answers to those questions, one could always choose to cancel the booking, set up the first responder OBC (and any others that might require pre-booking arrangement), then rebook.

Is that hassle worth the value of the OBC?  That's up to each individual to decide. 

17 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Is that hassle worth the value of the OBC?  That's up to each individual to decide. 

Prob not...

I just want others to be aware that they have changed the program. Now you have to secure the obc, then book. Before you could add the obc to an existing booking.

My feedback from HAL has been positive once someone started to review my request.

19 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Prob not...

I just want others to be aware that they have changed the program. Now you have to secure the obc, then book. Before you could add the obc to an existing booking.

My feedback from HAL has been positive once someone started to review my request.

Actually, they have not changed the program. When it was first announced it was stated that the program was for new bookings only. Then, like with so many other things, someone called and complained that they should get it because they booked 'yesterday'. When they received it, of course they had to announce it on CC, FB, and other social media. Because of this, HAL allowed it to be added to an existing booking for a short period.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richwmn said:

HAL allowed it to be added to an existing booking for a short period.

Ty for the background. I'm new to HA but very happy so far and just booked my 3rd in a year. I have no problem if they want to strictly enforce the rules of the program. Now that I am better informed I will book after obc is approved. I'm sure it will be like most of the other lines where it's about hitting the right promos at the right time.

I do believe I should be looking for a Personal Cruise Conultant with HA. Although I am already booked so that might have been another cart before the horse error on my part.

The shareholders OBC has different terns and conditions from the community appreciation programs. In addition, the military service OBC is a "once and done" verification while the other offers require annual re-verification.

If you think about it, this makes sense. AARP membership is around $9 a year when they run a special. You could be an AARP member this year and not renew next year. Once you are a veteran, you stay one. (If you want to be super picky, I suppose being active duty, getting verified, and then being dishonorably discharged could pose a problem.)