Recommendations for Booking the MDR

space27

On 12/7/2023 at 10:43 PM, Thrak said:

I book months in advance...

If you wait until that morning you will almost certainly find nothing available unless you maybe try for 5:00 PM. If you are willing to share a table with others you have an easier time getting what you want. On our recent cruise(s) we booked sharing and it was a breeze. Last year we booked with another couple and, after the first night, we had the same table each night.

For our upcoming cruise in April (the total eclipse cruise) we were booked with our son and his wife and daughter. I booked a private table for 5 every night in the same dining room. Unfortunately, our son and family have had to cancel. I still show a private table each night at the same time and, after having just finished 63 days sharing a table each night with a random selection of other passengers I think I will just leave it as a table for two. I'm not saying we had lousy table mates on the recent cruises. Out of 63 nights I think there were only maybe 4 nights dining with people I would gladly throw overboard. The other 59 nights were fine and we dined with some really nice folks and some of them were quite interesting to talk with.  I just think a little "time for us" would be fine on the next cruise.

"Gladly throw overboard"....had to laugh at that one and gotta say I have had a similar experience a time or two. 🤣

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2023 at 6:49 AM, TheDawg79 said:

I’m booked for my MDR dinners 18 months in advance. So if I’m doing it this far out so are others. How many will book between now and the next 18 months? See how quickly the prime dinner reservation times will be gone if you wait until you board to make yours?

How do I know which night is Prime Rib night? Sailing Mar. 25.

On our Mediterranean cruise last summer we made an advance reservation for around 8:00 (can’t remember the exact time) in the 6 Aft dining room.  We had a very short wait the first night of the cruise and after that they told us to walk right in every night and our table was waiting for us.  Although we booked a table for two we were seated next to a delightful grandmother and her teenage granddaughter.  We enjoyed each other’s company so much that we both secured those reservations for the rest of the cruise and just walked right in for the rest of the cruise.  Each night we looked forward to seeing each other and talking about our day’s adventures.  It was similar to our traditional dining experiences where we really enjoyed our table mates.   (We always thought Princess did an excellent job matching us up with other people.).  The bonus was that we had great servers who got to know us.  We also looked forward to seeing them each night.  It was very much like a successful traditional dining experience and we would love to have something similar on our upcoming Caribbean cruise.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rescue Dog Mom said:

Did you go on the app yet and try to reserve one?

Don’t know how to get the app. When I cruise CCL I go to guest services right away and they hook me up!!! 

10 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

But one would fit at that table! I am a solo cruiser and prefer to eat my dinners that way. 

Just tell them that you prefer to eat along & they won't sit anyone else at the table with you. 

• Thanks 1

I didn't think you could book dinning until after final payment?  I do see that I can make reservations on the app and my cruise is still 150 days out.  How do I book two tables of 6 beside each other for the same time every night?