Shrewd Business

bodgerday

As a regular cruiser pre-covid, I thought it was about time I got back into the swing. With our golden wedding anniversary around the corner, I decided to surprise the good lady with a bit of winter sun.  With my internet down I decided to ring P&O to book 14 nights in the Canaries.

As we are pensioners on a limited fixed income, I decided on an inside cabin. The young lady asked if I wanted a select price.  For an extra £200 I got cabin choice, priority dining and an extra cabin spend of £90 each.  My wife was due home, and I wanted to keep it as a surprise.  So I agreed.  She informed me the only cabin available was 4201. This I had to accept.

Internet was restored and I received confirmation.  I researched the cabin and found it was situated right at the front. I also discovered that Iona was freedom dining. So what did I pay the extra £200 for?

After several emails, and eventually a phone call to customer services, I was told that I only got the extra onboard cabin spend for my £200 spend. So a bit of shrewd business by me, spend £200 to get £180.

To top it all, my wife found out about the cruise and was not happy with the cabin, it's just cost me another £120 to move to mid ship.

Follow me for more money saving tips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 23

4 minutes ago, bodgerday said:

As a regular cruiser pre-covid, I thought it was about time I got back into the swing. With our golden wedding anniversary around the corner, I decided to surprise the good lady with a bit of winter sun.  With my internet down I decided to ring P&O to book 14 nights in the Canaries.

As we are pensioners on a limited fixed income, I decided on an inside cabin. The young lady asked if I wanted a select price.  For an extra £200 I got cabin choice, priority dining and an extra cabin spend of £90 each.  My wife was due home, and I wanted to keep it as a surprise.  So I agreed.  She informed me the only cabin available was 4201. This I had to accept.

Internet was restored and I received confirmation.  I researched the cabin and found it was situated right at the front. I also discovered that Iona was freedom dining. So what did I pay the extra £200 for?

After several emails, and eventually a phone call to customer services, I was told that I only got the extra onboard cabin spend for my £200 spend. So a bit of shrewd business by me, spend £200 to get £180.

To top it all, my wife found out about the cruise and was not happy with the cabin, it's just cost me another £120 to move to mid ship.

The wise thing would have been to let your wife book the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, bodgerday said:

Look at it another way if you had not booked a select fare you would not have been able to move it. So although you spend £200 to get £180 back at least you could move and not lost your deposit which you may have had to do to move cabins. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bodgerday said:

After several emails, and eventually a phone call to customer services, I was told that I only got the extra onboard cabin spend for my £200 spend.

No, you got to choose the only remaining cabin available at that time. 

Now that might seem silly, choosing from a single cabin, but at least you know which cabin it is and you will certainly receive it. 

Had you booked Saver then you might have received that cabin, or you might have been allocated a dreadful cabin after the ‘ripple’ of cabin allocations took place closer to departure time as people cancelled, were upgraded, paid to upgrade, etc, and as a Saver you would likely end up at the end of the queue. 

15 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

£200 to get £180 obc and the ability to book your cabin and free shuttle buses.  Id say that was good value

Not forgetting you get priority on MDR table size with select fare .

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Not forgetting you get priority on MDR table size with select fare .

Doesn't make any difference on Iona you just request either on entering restaurant you preferential size and also same on virtual queue.

• Thanks 1