Question About Celebrity Gift Cards?

GranysT

Has anyone purchased Celebrity gift cards?  How do they work? If purchased, do they actually send you a card to use? If so, then you can use them to purchase things on the ship? Just like any other gift card, or like your S&S card? 

We bought four $500 AARP gift cards and put them towards the cruise we’re on now. But when we found out they were nonrefundable to the point of the funds not getting put back on the gift card they came from if we canceled the cruise prior to final payment, we chose to pass on buying any more.

I received two-small value gift cards from my bank as a customer appreciation amenity, years ago. I just recently used them toward purchase of a cruise. Cards specified that they could only be used  to buy a new cruise. They were not valid for onboard purchases. So, it is useful to read the "fine print"

• 5 weeks later...

Placed an $1800 refundable deposit, $900 on a credit card, and $900 in Celebrity gift cards.  

Had to cancel cruise with 10 months to go,  Asked for future cruise credit for the $900 gift card paid.  

Celebrity wants a medical note-I can supply but don't think it necessary.  While a gift card is clearly non-refundable for cash, why should Celebrity be allowed to keep the value of the gift certificates, especially when it was a refundable deposit and no disclosure that GC's will not be refunded in kind with new GC's or future cruise credit?

I saw that Royal Caribbean recently updated their gift card policy to allow you to use them on-board as OBC. At the same time, they announced that you could use Royal Caribbean gift cards on Celebrity. Does anyone know if the same policy exists now on X? Or is it still just toward the cost of the booking?

Read the fine print VERY CLOSELY.    I haven't looked in a long time but when I did they could only be used for new bookings and there were a number of conditions..

• 1 month later...

I have an used Celebrity Gift Card for $ 100.  I chose this one from a work Christmas gift website (Giftogram) because I thought it would be a nice idea for my wife before the cruise.  Ran into the same issue that I couldn't use it for OBC adn the cruise was already paid for.  It was only new bookings only.  
Happy to sell it for $ 50 to someone.  Gift Card ID is unused.  LMK if anyone is interested.