'Twas Two Weeks Before Christmas - Live from the Nieuw Statendam, Dec. 10 - 17, 2023

POA1

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Thanks!  I was able to have Google translate but no origin information.  I will ask onboard.  

I did some googling too as I was asked the same question on my LIVE thread.  I believe it is Dutch caviar.  I learned something new I did not know -  Caviar is harvested in the Netherlands 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kazu said:

I did some googling too as I was asked the same question on my LIVE thread.  I believe it is Dutch caviar.  I learned something new I did not know -  Caviar is harvested in the Netherlands 

There are a fair number of places that farm-raise sturgeon for caviar. I know Browne Trading in Portland, Maine used to have the HAL contract for the US, but I don't know if that's still the case. They were where we went for caviar when we lived in Maine.

They have a decent bit of educational material online if anyone is interested. Start here:

https://brownetrading.com/pages/how-to-buy-caviar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Also, bear in mind that your Mariner discount is not going to apply to the caviar or other supplements. The Mariner discount is off the restaurant cover charge only.

Good reminder.  I have found that the caviar and fruits de Mer were worth the surcharge price 😊 

• Like 4

Just now, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

Thanks for the fun and informative read. I trust Poohby Joe is nestled all snug in his bed.

He's happy to be home with his friends Big Poohby and Round Poohby. I'll post a photo later. Poohby Joe is from the big Disney store in what is now Disney Springs. Big Poohby was a gift from Michelle's coworkers. Round Poohby came from the CVS at the corner of SE 17th Street and Federal Highway (US Route 1) in Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 7

We went for pizza (Anthony's Coal Fired at the mother ship location in Fort Lauderdale. Highly recommended.) We then drove along the beach with the top down before arriving back home to watch sail away.

There are a lot of beaches and palm trees down in the neighborhood. Our property was all decked out with poinsettias when we left. They're all scraggly and windblown looking now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As is often the case in Florida, a days-long storm is followed by a bright and sunny day. Although it's sunny, the wind is brisk. It's blowing at 21 mph from the north. We have a southern exposure so we're pretty well protected.

17028485830630.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We're still waiting on the Odyssey of the Seas, Celebrity Reflection, Viking Mars and the Nieuw Statendam.

The HAL ship should be up first, followed by the Reflection. The enormous Royal Caribbean ship will probably be next, with Viking out last. Poohby Joe is anticipating the sail away by his former home for a week. He's decked out in his classic Holland America logo shirt. (He's quite conscious of having his tag show now.)

17028488614860.thumb.jpg.e3cefe57220da3597284bf4d5332897c.jpg

The NS is on the move!

Edited by POA1
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As the Nieuw Statendam steams out of Port Everglades, we reach the sad conclusion that vacation is over.

17028505005001.thumb.jpg.f9c2e4f3860580b43f3ff47978fc656e.jpg

There is still a fair amount of trip report wrap up, but the work week looms large and ugly on the horizon.

17028505005622.thumb.jpg.6358e8a7b6f58539565a598386312d4d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@POA1. I admire your reading streak! I tend to go for hardcover books and read on my Kindle app on vacations. I enjoyed the Richard Osman series as well. Have you read the Rhys Bowen "Her Royal Spyness" series. It's set in England and Scotland in the early 1930s and I found them very enjoyable. Thanks for taking us along on your trip! 

Karen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

@POA1. I admire your reading streak! I tend to go for hardcover books and read on my Kindle app on vacations. I enjoyed the Richard Osman series as well. Have you read the Rhys Bowen "Her Royal Spyness" series. It's set in England and Scotland in the early 1930s and I found them very enjoyable. Thanks for taking us along on your trip! 

Karen

Thanks for the recommendation, Karen! We just hit 400 days in a row today. Broward County Library has a great selection of books available electronically. I see 17 titles in the recommended series. (Yay.) They have reciprocal privileges with a few local colleges when we need something more specialized. We've gotten used to reading on screen. The Paperwhite and the newer Fire tablets work well, even in sunlight.

We spend a fair amount of time outside reading and the library saves us a fortune.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I’m so sorry that reality is coming tomorrow. I hope Poohby Joe isn’t too upset. 
   I agree with you about Anthony’s Pizza. I love their original roasted wings. 

@Huskerchick is a big fan of the traditional wings. She order "all flats" which does not include drumettes.  Not sure if you knew that or not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Filed under unfinished business: We never got around to trying the Rudolph's Red Margarita. Margaritas just don't scream Christmas to us.

The Christmas coffee based cocktails did not show up during the week which prevented us from trying them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/15/2023 at 11:00 AM, POA1 said:

Oh, no! They put that thing over my eyes. 👀 I can't see! I'll be bumping into things all the time now.Screenshot_20231215-115646.png

OK. I was able to remedy the situation. Flipping my avatar is a little bit tougher than it would be for a normal image. I use an animated GIF. It's a whole bunch of frames that have to be flipped and then re-animated.

Bottom line: I can see now but my drink is hidden.

Screenshot_20231217-200440.png.12201c5235b2be5385d64be8c6ef0e67.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Good reminder.  I have found that the caviar and fruits de Mer were worth the surcharge price 😊 

Us as well. I only mentioned it because we were seated next to a table of people who thought their Mariner discounts applied to items that have a surcharge.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I looked forward to reading your posts each day and your fun sense of humor in your writing style. I especially enjoyed your 'bubble of awesome' and your gracious and appreciative vibe to be cruising. We get it too! Welcome home. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Filed under unfinished business: We never got around to trying the Rudolph's Red Margarita. Margaritas just don't scream Christmas to us.

The Christmas coffee based cocktails did not show up during the week which prevented us from trying them.

We tried Rudolph’s this week on the Rotterdam…too sweet, IMO. I think you didn’t miss anything. 

• Like 1