Realistically, How Many Will Wear Tuxedos on a 12-Night Panama Canal Princess Cruise?

Smokeyham

7 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I tried to edit the shoe part from my post as I thought I'd have to explain it. Which by your post, I do. We've all heard glass and dishes breaking in the MDR. Not a comment on style. Protect your feet.

Flip flops are fine for every dining venue, including MDR for breakfast and lunch. Women wear sandals all the time, regardless of meal. There are reasons to not wear flip flops in the MDR at night, but safety isn’t one of them, or they wouldn’t be allowed anywhere. I’ve heard far more frequent crashes in the buffet. 

50 years age difference in tux wearing on the Island Princess last summer. What’s not to like? We both feel comfortable so that’s all that matters and as he’s looking to go into the military as an officer I guess he’d best get used to formal wear 😀

63c35834-b2a7-4c40-96dc-f10f1c649d63.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 1/7/2024 at 1:40 AM, devonuk said:

50 years age difference in tux wearing on the Island Princess last summer. What’s not to like? We both feel comfortable so that’s all that matters and as he’s looking to go into the military as an officer I guess he’d best get used to formal wear 😀

Great photo of both of you. Two extremely good looking gentlemen. 

Tom😀👍

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, SargassoPirate said:

I quit trying a rag around my neck when I retired.  I wear my tux to lodge meetings and that

Funny thing is that the big excuse we hear for slovenly dress in the MDR is airline baggage fees, but my jacket weighs around 19 ounces, I wear my black jeans on the plane, my stack of four T shirts and pocket squares weigh very little, and I can wear the same combo with rotating colors every night of the cruise.  Saves on packing the "smart casual" wear.  (I'm not allowed to use washing machine or Dishwasher....)

Not so sure that's correct.  Speaking of numbers We do a 14 day cruise with carry on. That's a $320.00 savings from what we used to do. Due to an accident we are raising 2 granddaughters. That's little more difficult as they are entering teen years but they do understand what $640.00 can do when the 4 of us cruise.

I do wear my sport coat when boarding, and the girls have to suffer with shipboard shampoos etc. and we do consider where the laundry room is when selecting a cabin... BUT I love getting home and not having wife staring at 8 suitcases of dirty laundry.

Edited by TNTLAMB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TNTLAMB said:

Not so sure that's correct.  Speaking of numbers We do a 14 day cruise with carry on. That's a $320.00 savings from what we used to do. Due to an accident we are raising 2 granddaughters. That's little more difficult as they are entering teen years but they do understand what $640.00 can do when the 4 of us cruise.

I do wear my sport coat when boarding, and the girls have to suffer with shipboard shampoos etc. and we do consider where the laundry room is when selecting a cabin... BUT I love getting home and not having wife staring at 8 suitcases of dirty laundry.

We also are carryon only travelers. We get free laundry now, but were carryon only travelers even when we had to do laundry. For us it makes traveling much easier.  

• Like 2

Do you;  and if you is casual go casual if you us a tux do a tux. 

I do me and me is:

If my wife can go through all of the trouble of doing her hair, make up, nails , and wearing uncomfortable but sexy heels then me putting on a suit or tux is a breeze. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was eating an MDR dinner a couple of nights ago and was seated near the entrance.  I was amazed at how many men think "smart casual" is shorts and a T shirt.  Not just a smattering, but so many it was noticable.  

One of my tablemates opined "Just imagine how things would be if the crew dressed as slovenly as some of the passengers do".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/7/2024 at 4:40 AM, devonuk said:

You two both look great and look great together.👏

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dandonna said:

Do you;  and if you is casual go casual if you us a tux do a tux. 

I do me and me is:

If my wife can go through all of the trouble of doing her hair, make up, nails , and wearing uncomfortable but sexy heels then me putting on a suit or tux is a breeze. 😄

Thank you, sir!  My DH has exactly the same attitude, and your wives appreciate your effort more than you know.  Nothing is more appealing than a well dressed man or woman, but of course you know already know that.  Enjoy every moment of your cruise!

• Like 4

Wear a tux if you wish but I must say the tuxes are not the choice of many men. The majority wore dress shirt, slacks and jacket, no tie. My husband wears slacks and dress shirt. Most of the time we avoid formal nights and go to the many other choice eating options. We are just too lazy to go thru all the drama! 

You wear a tux, sequins, furs, diamonds and feel great about it. 

Hell, I don't even want to pack any of it! 😆

I have sometimes ridden a Harley to the port.  Obviously limited space for luggage.  Rather than look like a biker for the cruise, I packed a sport coat and a couple of colored T-shirts with matching pocket squares.  Those over my black jeans THAT I was wearing anyway, and I looked better than a lot of the men in the evenings, and I was dressing for myself since SWMBO wasn't on the cruise with me.

Clothes make the man.  I wouldn't wear the sport coat ensemble into a biker bar anymore than I would show up in the MDR looking like I just stepped off the set of Sons of Anarchy.

JMHO.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Wear a tux if you wish but I must say the tuxes are not the choice of many men. The majority wore dress shirt, slacks and jacket, no tie. My husband wears slacks and dress shirt. Most of the time we avoid formal nights and go to the many other choice eating options. We are just too lazy to go thru all the drama! 

“We are just too lazy…..”.  I guess that says it all.  You would be surprised what happens when you make an effort.  You don’t need diamonds, sequins and furs or even a tux to look really good.  But, to each their own.

45 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

So they shamed you into eating elsewhere? 

That's to bad, missing out on one of the better meals offered just to avoid formal nights when it's not at all necessary to dress up any longer. But you already knew that. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

“We are just too lazy…..”.  I guess that says it all.  You would be surprised what happens when you make an effort.  You don’t need diamonds, sequins and furs or even a tux to look really good.  But, to each their own.

Tell us, what happens?

• Haha 3

I really dont consider bringing and wearing my or my wife’s formal attire as drama but as I stated at the beginning of my post “be you”just do me the favor and let me be me. 🙏

Edited by dandonna
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So they shamed you into eating elsewhere? 

That's to bad, missing out on one of the better meals offered just to avoid formal nights when it's not at all necessary to dress up any longer. But you already knew that. 

Oh no never shamed....just do not wish to go thru the rigamaroo of changing into our dressier wear. Me....shamed?!?! No way! Lazy and on vacation.....yes!

59 minutes ago, dandonna said:

I really dont consider bringing and wearing my or my wife’s formal attire as drama but as I stated at the beginning of my post “be you”just do me the favor and let me be me. 🙏

Thats what I profess......your vacation do as you please!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

If I just make an effort?! What does that translate to? That sounds like something a 6th grade teacher would say to a student who's failing. 

I have been on many cruises and my husband and I have done the formal thing many times over! 

My stated choice was not a condemnation on your choice. 

Yes....lazy! Thats what you do on vacation.....GEEZE!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Tell us, what happens?

When you know you know.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

If I just make an effort?! What does that translate to? That sounds like something a 6th grade teacher would say to a student who's failing. 

I have been on many cruises and my husband and I have done the formal thing many times over! 

My stated choice was not a condemnation on your choice. 

Yes....lazy! Thats what you do on vacation.....GEEZE!

Please forgive me if I hit a nerve.  If you’re happy then that’s all that matters.  We just returned from a cruise on Celebrity Ascent and I guess we were spoiled.  I’m sorry if I offended you.

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

Please forgive me if I hit a nerve.  If you’re happy then that’s all that matters.  We just returned from a cruise on Celebrity Ascent and I guess we were spoiled.  I’m sorry if I offended you.

Thankyou but takes much more to actually offend me 😆

Just returned from Celebrity Beyond.....they were right up our alley for negative 5 formal nights. Dressing "appropriately" for formal nights have gotten somewhat subjective.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Thankyou but takes much more to actually offend me 😆

Just returned from Celebrity Beyond.....they were right up our alley for negative 5 formal nights. Dressing "appropriately" for formal nights have gotten somewhat subjective.

So true.  Was Captain Kate at the helm on your voyage?  We’ve met her twice and she is delightful.  Now, there’s a lady who knows fashion.  She is stunning!  Fabulous ship, too.  It’s so nice that cruising has something for everyone’s taste.  

• Like 1