Packing List / (7 nt. Western Caribbean Dec. 24 cruise)

Numer3

Traveling with several family members…some have never been on a cruise. I was asked for a packing list. Does anyone have one they’d like to share? Parents have cruised MANY times but never without washing clothes mid week. This would help them, as well, as they were surprised to learn Royal doesn’t have this option. Traveling with many 21-35 age group….that will probably enjoy doing the theme nights. Thanks!!! 

Hi. Happy to share the one I've started for our March cruise. We have two teens so it includes a kids section. I've been adding items that other have suggested on this forum. Would love to hear what others have on their lists. 🙂

Cruise 2024 Packing List General.doc

Edited by CruisingInFebruary

I have cruised a lot so I thought I had some good packing ideas then I read @CruisingInFebruary's list. It is fantastic...I printed it out for my upcoming Christmas cruise. Thank you!

Working off of that list, you may also want to consider adding...

* Dryer sheets (I use them as drawer liners...they smell nice and protect my clothing from the drawers who have been used heavily)

*Night light (can use battery operated small votives)

*Bug spray

*Corkscrew
*Magnetic sign for outside the door (good as a door finder although make it a cheap one because we have had it gone missing in the past)

*European adapter with USB outlet (we use this so that we don't have to waste the European outlet option on the ship)

*A lot of singles for tips
*highlighter (if using paper copy of the compass)

@Numer3

Royal Caribbean has laundry services; they just aren't self-serve.  There is a wash 'n' fold bag which costs $35.  You can also pay by the piece for laundry.  You can put t shirts, underwear, pajamas, socks in the wash 'n' fold bag.  Turnaround time is usually 24 hours.

3 hours ago, Numer3 said:

Traveling with several family members…some have never been on a cruise. I was asked for a packing list. 

I tend to pack a little less than this, but this is a rather moderate list: 

- Pack 3 dinner outfits /assume you'll wear each one twice.  Consider taking "bottoms" that work with more than one item ... for example, on my next cruise I'm taking a gray maxi skirt; I'll wear it one night with a white blouse, another night with a striped top, a third night with a pink top.  Make sure one pair of dressy shoes will cover all outfits.  We usually eat dinner in the Windjammer at least once, so no change of clothes is necessary. 

- Pack 4 daytime outfits.  Many times we wear a daytime outfit just a couple hours (for example, we might start the day in a swimsuit, then change into a daytime outfit after lunch ... but then we pretty quickly end up in dinner clothes ... that daytime outfit can be hung up and worn again).  Consider packing 2-3 shirts for every pair of shorts; shorts don't really get sweaty around the ship ... but they're ready for the hamper after a shore excursion.  When you're headed off the ship, always wear something that's on its "last wear".  Pack one pair of comfortable walking sandals + a pair of tennis shoes.  

- Pack one light layering item.  I never need anything in the MDR or the theater, but occasionally I need a light layer if I'm up on deck after dark.  

- Pack 2-3 swimsuits + cover ups.  

- Pack 1 pair of pajamas and 1 set of gym clothes.  

- And, of course, your small clothes.

1 hour ago, BlackForest said:

*Night light (can use battery operated small votives)

*Bug spray

*Corkscrew
*Magnetic sign for outside the door

*A lot of singles for tips

Notes on these items: 

- When our kids were small, we used to get them light sticks (Dollar store or Amazon).  They give off just enough light for a child to feel comfortable in bed or to get up to use the bathroom ... but not enough light to disturb other people. 

- Bug spray is needed only in some ports.  Inland Cozumel, for example. 

- If you choose wine with a screw-top, you don't need the corkscrew.  Screw-tops are also better if you can't finish the bottle in one sitting. 

- Note that everything you buy on the ship already has a mandatory 18% tip attached to it.  If you're inclined to tip more, by all means, that's your business -- but do recognize you've already tipped once.  For tipping off the ship, definitely bring singles + fives ... for tour tips or taxi rides, assume no one will be able to give you change.  

1 hour ago, BlackForest said:

*Either a large garbage bag or a travel hamper (I just bought this one and it is wonderful. Folds completely flat and is light weight yet it is really big:

Waste of space.  Leave your suitcase open in the bottom of your closet and toss your clothes in ... adding those aforementioned dryer sheets isn't a bad idea.  At the end of the trip, zip up your suitcase, and you're packed.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

I don't do lists.

For ANY trip, I mentally go through dressing for each venue.  And for other than clothing, I always pack workout and beach gear, flip flops, zip lock bags, sun screen, bug spray, general stuff (ibuprofen, imodium, benadryl, etc), motion sickness.

For clothes, I mentally dress. So underwear, put enough in the bag.  Socks, dress, casual, ;put in the bag.  Undershirts, in the bag.  Pants, what will I need, casual, dress, suit, short, put in bag.  Shirts.....

• Like 1

I have a separate packing list for basics - what we take on almost every trip (i.e. clothes, toiletries, etc.) but I think @CruisingInFebruary and others have covered that well. Here is my "extras for cruises" list (we don't take all of these every cruise, but like to leave them on the list):

Distilled water request
Pur Water Filter Pitcher
Clips & magnets for curtains & shower (no suction - does not work)
Lanyards
Starbucks Gift Card(s)
European outlet adapter
HDMI cable and universal remote (Samsung tv clone remote)
Hammocks
Tray and/or beverage holders & carriers
address labels for the tags for return home
bathroom spray
pump soap (2)
Pop up laundry hamper (2)
Get cash - small bills included 
Gallon plastic bags
water shoes
Towel bands or clips for chairs
Go Pro 
Stevia drops

Gosh, I don't think I've ever taken any of the non-clothing items others have listed above, and after 50 cruises, I haven't missed them.

We primarily pack mix-and-match clothing, for day and for evening.  We do dress up at night, so coordinate shoe colors as well as top and bottom colors, to keep things to a reasonable minimum.

Underwear.

Documents.

Prescription items such as meds, reading glasses.

Toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, makeup, sunscreen, lotion.  There are hair dryers in the cabins.

Bathroom can stay fresh by pouring a glass or two of water into the drain in the floor (not the shower drain, the other one).

We've never had an issue with shower curtain needing gadgets to keep it in place. Point the shower head down, not out, before turning on.

Ship tap water is very pure and delicious (including in bathroom sink); no need to take a purifier.

Numer3, you mention that some of your group have not cruised before.  Have they travelled at all? I don't think it's all that different, packing for an overnight or weekend at a relative's house, and packing for a cruise.  And 7 nights is not a long cruise; really should not be overly concerning for anyone who might forget something. I would imagine if they are family, and one forgets lotion, someone else can help out.

• Like 2

Thoughts on various packing list ideas presented here ... opinions will vary, and it's good for new people to hear a variety of thoughts: 

- The water onboard is distilled /purified and tastes good.  No need for further processing. I don't see any reason for a pitcher.  I do like to bring those little tubes of lemonade flavor (my daughter likes the squirt bottle of flavor) because they're no-carbohydrate.  

- Lanyards?  No.  

- Non-Starbucks coffee is available, but if you're a Starbucks fiend, you can put your cards on your phone /avoid carrying something extra. 

- Hammocks?  Like an ENU?  Could be a cool idea. 

- No need for trays or beverage holders. 

- You'll get a bar of soap for the sink and body wash in the shower.  But ladies will be happier if they bring their own shampoo and conditioner; what the ship provides is too rough.  And they don't provide any lotion. 

- No to the pop-up hamper.  Just put dirties into your suitcase. 

- I wrap my shoes in plastic grocery bags ... then I have them on the ship, if I need them later.

- I bring water shoes only if I know we're going to a rocky beach or partaking in a water-based excursion.  

- I am completely dependent upon my glasses ... so I bring my everyday glasses, my prescription sunglasses, and my sunglass readers.  And I bring a hardsided case to protect the ones I'm not wearing.  Other people probably don't need these as much as I do.  

- I keep all my "cruise specific" items in my small beach bag between trips.  

- I have an at-home laminator, so I laminate my luggage tags instead of using plastic holders ... costs me a dime to laminate three tags.  I lock my suitcases with zip-ties and carry a pair of nail clippers in my pocket, with which to cut the ties.  

- I have a first aid kit (packed in a cosmetics bag) that I keep in my bathroom ... it stays packed with basics and goes on all trips ... even a day hike.  

- Similarly, I keep my toiletries bag ready to go ... after each trip, I refill the shampoo, etc. and put it away "full".  

I can see that people who haven't cruised before don't know what's going to be available onboard and are nervous about not being able to run out to a Walgreens.

Things on my personal cruise list that don't appear here: 

- We have a travel wallet (a gift from a long-ago travel agent) that keeps our passports, boarding passes, loyalty cards, and insurance information together.  My husband is always super fussy about carrying this himself, and he feels good when he locks it in our stateroom safe.  

- I am a big reader, so I must have my Kindle (and its protective case); I don't bring a charger because it'll hold a charge for weeks.  The online library is really just a handful of paperbacks left behind by previous cruisers.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

The one thing we do before we put anything in the drawers is we wipe them down with antiseptic wipes , as we dont want to put clean clothes into what may have been used as a dirty underwear drawer . We let them air out and dry before we put anything in them.

We also wipe down the shelves as we have seen videos of people using them to store their shoes

rather than putting them on the floor where they belong. 

Takes about 5 minutes , makes us feel better . Meh .

• Like 1