Successful travel insurance claims?

gddo

On 4/22/2024 at 5:20 AM, CDNPolar said:

Every insurance policy that I have seen for travel when it comes to medical, it is very explicit that YOU must call the insurance company at the first sign of illness and/or before treatment starts unless it is an accident that prevents you from calling...  This would never be the role of the doctor, clinic, or hospital.

On my Allianz claim. I went to the hospital, found out the full diagnosis (had x-rays, consultation with the doctor and then decided to go home for surgery) before I called Allianz. They paid my hospital claim in full. I never even thought to call Allianz first.

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2024 at 1:03 PM, Fox trotter said:

When I think back about this, I'm surprised that the medical team didn't call the insurance company before they began treatment, as the cruise line has details of all passengers insurance.

The cruise line could care less if you have insurance or not as you are paying before you leave the ship. I would be curious what happens when one doesn't have space on a credit card before one leaves the ship.

Edited by Coral

8 hours ago, Coral said:

On my Allianz claim. I went to the hospital, found out the full diagnosis (had x-rays, consultation with the doctor and then decided to go home for surgery) before I called Allianz. They paid my hospital claim in full. I never even thought to call Allianz first.

This may have been your experience, however if you read the policies, they explicitly state that you must call the insurance company before seeking medical treatment unless it is impossible to do so.

This is only one company that we have used but every medical policy I have read has this statement using similar language:  

image.thumb.png.fa69e66b6179123503de62cd968cdc39.png

I would say that you were lucky that they did not have an issue with this.  The statements always include the word "may" and be denied.  So they have the ability to deny a claim if you don't contact them first.

13 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This may have been your experience, however if you read the policies, they explicitly state that you must call the insurance company before seeking medical treatment unless it is impossible to do so.

This is only one company that we have used but every medical policy I have read has this statement using similar language:  

image.thumb.png.fa69e66b6179123503de62cd968cdc39.png

I would say that you were lucky that they did not have an issue with this.  The statements always include the word "may" and be denied.  So they have the ability to deny a claim if you don't contact them first.

This is a good reminder to us all to check our insurance coverages.  Does your auto insurance cover you in a rental car?  Does your health insurance kick in overseas?   What will your credit-card insurance cover in the way of unexpected expenses?  It's a good idea to at least have a clue before you start your journey.  I think I'll make up a little summary to keep on my laptop just in case.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Is this possibly a Candian rule or law?

I just went thru my TravelSafe policy (Purchased in Washington State in the US) with a fine-tooth comb and nowhere does it state the above.

The only place where it comes close to saying that is in the separate "Tip" sheet I got from TravelInsuranceStore, where they recommend that as soon as possible, notify the insurance company so that they may get involved to assist if necessary.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Is this possibly a Candian rule or law?

I just went thru my TravelSafe policy (Purchased in Washington State in the US) with a fine-tooth comb and nowhere does it state the above.

The only place where it comes close to saying that is in the separate "Tip" sheet I got from TravelInsuranceStore, where they recommend that as soon as possible, notify the insurance company so that they may get involved to assist if necessary.

Could be Canadian, but I know Americans that have the same language in their policies and they are not buying from Canadian insurance companies.

It really doesn't matter what the 'rules' are.  Carry the contact phone and/or email  when you travel, and notify your insurance company ASAP if you have a medical issue.  If you're travelling alone, put a note in your wallet in case you arrive at the ER unconscious. 

• Like 1

I am a fan of having "travel insurance" for any non-refundable travel costs.  Rather than spending money on a "travel insurance policy" to cover 1 trip, I prefer to have my travel expenses insured by my hotel-branded Chase credit card. This credit card also provides 1 free hotel night per year which basically pays for the annual fee. 

I am happy to report I just received no-hassle, full reimbursement for a cruise canceled due to a medical emergency of one of the passengers.  The person is well now but was hospitalized just prior to sailing. 

It is very important while you are in the midst of a medical emergency to have the doctor put in writing restrictions on lifting and travel. Ask the doctor to state in writing "no travel for x days." Don't leave the interpretation up to the claims adjustor to determine if a cruise passenger has had enough "recovery time" and should be on the cruise.  It will be near impossible to chase down an ER doctor weeks or months after a hospital visit to have restrictions documented because the insurance is asking for more detail.

Keep in mind that trip insurance provided by my credit card does NOT include any health/emergency medical coverage while on my trip.  Be sure your private health insurance covers this. (Call to find out.)

Tip - Consider a credit card that includes trip insurance.  Ask for the coverage in writing.  They have a nice booklet they send you. I now add this small booklet to my travel papers.  If I experience disruption while traveling I will be able to read the details of my coverage and make appropriate decisions. 

• Like 1

Lots of good advice.  Don't think travellers can imagine how awful it is to have a serious emergency connected with a trip.  Once you're 'been there', you understand!  The top Chase Sapphire card might be tough to get, but it offers benefits that far outweigh the eye-watering annual fee.  

Apparently the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is very good, but regarding travel insurance... When using *any* charge card linked insurance, please make certain that you understand all of the Terms & Conditions (T&Cs).  These can be quite different from outside/3rd party travel insurance.

The main thing to watch for (for most claims) concern "pre-existing conditions", with a second concern being the maximum coverage per trip (or perhaps per year).

Some of the card-linked travel insurance does NOT cover claims relating to pre-existing conditions.

Also make note of how the specific policy defines "pre-existing condition".  There are several definitions, and the travel insurance usage can be VERY different from what we think of in everyday life.

In some cases, this could be a negative or a positive, but it's critical to know what is or is not covered for *your* policy.

GC

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 3:24 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Apparently the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is very good, but regarding travel insurance... When using *any* charge card linked insurance, please make certain that you understand all of the Terms & Conditions (T&Cs).  These can be quite different from outside/3rd party travel insurance.

The main thing to watch for (for most claims) concern "pre-existing conditions", with a second concern being the maximum coverage per trip (or perhaps per year).

Some of the card-linked travel insurance does NOT cover claims relating to pre-existing conditions.

Also make note of how the specific policy defines "pre-existing condition".  There are several definitions, and the travel insurance usage can be VERY different from what we think of in everyday life.

In some cases, this could be a negative or a positive, but it's critical to know what is or is not covered for *your* policy.

GC

With both of us dealing with pre-existing conditions now, it is kind of a nightmare to navigate the insurance companies and select what you are going to buy.  It is the stability period.

Assume that any condition that you currently are taking medication for (exception being diabetes if well managed) that it is a pre-existing condition.  What is the stability period for pre-existing conditions on your policy?  If you medication changes that makes you not stable.

I have been stable for 3 years and taking a medication for that condition, and my doc stopped a medication because it is no longer needed.  I am now not stable until 3 months after the stoppage.

• Like 1