"Departure" excursion in Rome. Does it really leave at 6:30?

MudderBear

Will be debarking our Barcelona to Italy cruise in Rome.  We aren't flying out till the next day, and I have an airport hotel booked.  I then booked a Princess transfer from the cruise port to the airport...and then will just walk over to my hotel.  And then drop off my luggage and go into the city.

Question:  I was viewing a debarkation excursion that takes you to some sites in Italy (the Vatican, etc.) and it is a total of six hours.  It says it leaves at 6:30am and arrives at the airport at 12:30.  It would cost me about a $100 more to do this vs. my simple transfer.  Does this REALLY leave the cruise port at 6:30am?  Can that be possible?  I guess I'm hoping that people who have done this will say something like, oh...it doesn't really leave until about 7:30 or even 8:00.  I guess its' just wishful thinking but maybe I might be right????

Edited by MudderBear

No experience with the debark excursion, but this November on the Enchanted, gangways didn't even open until 7:00 a.m. for self walk off (ship docked at 5:00 a.m.).

TBH, if you're the independent type, take the transfer to FCO, dump your bags at the hotel, take Leonardo Express to Termini (28 Euro RT), and take the Metro around Rome.  The area around FCO is a dump with absolutely nothing to do and you're better off spending the time in Rome proper.  The Princess tour sounds like a drive by tour and isn't worth the money.  You'll be spending 1.5 to 2 hours of the 6 hours driving to Rome.  

• Like 2

I don't really know the exact answer to your question. I would think the 6:30 time mentioned is the meeting time at the on board location. I expect the tour group would be one of the first off the ship. Post #2 is probably correct. I took a Rome tour once. Some of the popular locations like the Vatican, Coliseum take take hours to tour. Can't imagine you would see very much in the short time in Rome  the tour provides.  

• Like 2

I took the post Rome excursion in 2019.  I can’t remember the meeting time. On the Island Princess Nov 2023, the post Rome excursion was listed as meeting at 6:30am where you meet to get your excursion sticker.

Our post Rome excursion 2019, we picked up our luggage off the ship and walked to the bus.  The guide talked along the way to Rome.  We all got off the bus and walked with the guide to the Vatican area.  She told us time and where to meet as she was not allowed to guide inside.  We had plenty of time to see inside.  Walked back towards the bus, we stopped along the way for maybe 1/2 hr for anybody that wanted to shop/bathroom/eat/drink then continued to the bus.  The rest of the tour was a drive by the different sights.  Passengers were dropped off at the train station then the rest at the airport.  I got off at the airport as I had the Hilton Rome Airport (hotel attached to the airport through a covered walkway) for the night. Not sure of the actual time we arrived, (early afternoon) we rested then had food (lunch menu as dinner menu doesn’t start until 6pm) at the hotel.  The next day we walked to the airport for our flight home.

• Like 1

You could probably get basically the same experience by just taking a Hop On-Hop Off bus tour. We've done this in Rome and you can stay on as long as you like, go around the route more than once or actually get off, see a particular site with a bit more depth and then grab the next bus coming around. They *usually* run every 15-20 minutes. Quite sure it will be cheaper than the Princess excursion and you do it on your own timetable. 

19 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Will be debarking our Barcelona to Italy cruise in Rome.  We aren't flying out till the next day, and I have an airport hotel booked.  I then booked a Princess transfer from the cruise port to the airport...and then will just walk over to my hotel.  And then drop off my luggage and go into the city.

Question:  I was viewing a debarkation excursion that takes you to some sites in Italy (the Vatican, etc.) and it is a total of six hours.  It says it leaves at 6:30am and arrives at the airport at 12:30.  It would cost me about a $100 more to do this vs. my simple transfer.  Does this REALLY leave the cruise port at 6:30am?  Can that be possible?  I guess I'm hoping that people who have done this will say something like, oh...it doesn't really leave until about 7:30 or even 8:00.  I guess its' just wishful thinking but maybe I might be right????

6:30 or even 6:00 would be your meeting time in the theater or designated venue on the ship for your group.  This allows time for luggage retrieval and customs, so you're probably going to be on the road by 8:00am. 

We just did Princess Debarkation tour in Rome 6 weeks ago. 

Tour was Lousy!  Most everyone in our group wanted their money back.

Guide on bus was new? Didn't say a word the whole drive into Rome.

We didn't know Where we were going....

Once we got to Vatican area and thru Security, BOTH guides (Now there was an experienced one?)

Took off, (where did they go?)  stranding our group of 16 at a Gift shop. 

On our walkie talkie devices we couldn't hear anything!  No word from them!

So  we wondered for 45 MINUTES IF they left us?  Our group of 16 waited and waited.

When they finally appeared (saying they went outside the Security gate and couldn't get back in, WHY did they do that?) 

Then we had a NOT great visit at Basilica, then off to the bus after another stop at Same Gift shop where we were abandoned.😑

Back on the bus we were driven BY many landmarks that we would have loved to gotten out for 15 mins to take pictures! 

Like the Coleseum..... we zoomed by..... Zoom.... there went another place.🧐

Then the Guide decided our tour was over, 45 MINUTES EARLY.

We were dropped at (?) Train station.  Only 2 Taxis waiting in the que.

Luckily we got our luggage and got one.  I hope the other 14 guests finally got cabs?

If your tour description is anything like ours? 

Buyer beware.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

I'm very sorry to hear about your plight. Yes, it sounds the same.  I'm taking the advice of another and just heading up to the airport, I'll drop off my luggage at the hotel, and take a train into the city for a short visit and dinner.

Edited by MudderBear
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your plight. Yes, it sounds the same.  I'm taking the advice of another and just heading up to the airport, I'll drop off my luggage at the hotel, and take a train into the city for a short visit and dinner.

Our hotel Hilton Rome Airport offered for €14/one way or €22/return a shuttle into Rome at certain times.  We took the return shuttle and took the HOHO.

See if your hotel offers a shuttle.

• Like 2