Live from the Viking Sky (Ft Lauderdale to London) December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024

Penspack

26 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Capt told us that Neptune will be going as well. 

We on the Viking Sky should send out a tender to attach a Viking flag to the Null Island buoy and leave a message in a bottle for the next passing ship [the Viking Neptune] to collect.

image.thumb.png.f17c25a8bf90b3142c5c875b327b8a9a.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, UWDawg said:

We on the Viking Sky should send out a tender to attach a Viking flag to the Null Island buoy and leave a message in a bottle for the next passing ship [the Viking Neptune] to collect.

image.thumb.png.f17c25a8bf90b3142c5c875b327b8a9a.png

Love it!!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:02 AM, WhereInTheWorldIsKarla said:

World Cruise, Port: Geelong (Melbourne), Australia
Twelve Apostles, Koalas, and Cockatoos
We went on “The Great Ocean Road and the Twelve Apostles” Viking excursion from Geelong (Melbourne), Australia today.  Highlight for me was seeing 3 Koalas in the wild. Luckily our bus driver was able to pull over. Enjoy.  Feel free to save/share

IMG_0175.thumb.jpeg.48e10f6826a42a7945055bce374d6868.jpeg

IMG_0169.thumb.jpeg.2a4d0e8dd2fef8f046e7786b29c6f79c.jpeg

IMG_0177.thumb.jpeg.5b33ceacfe985a11641551f3a9da585e.jpeg

Loving your amazing photos!

Sharing- Our excursion along the Great Ocean Road to the Apostles (not on this trip) was magical- the driver launched Pachelbel's Canon in D as we crested the hill on the highway and saw the Southern Ocean for the first time. Remains one of my favorite memories of Australia. Nice to see the Apostles are (mostly) still standing! That ocean is relentless...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UWDawg said:

image.thumb.png.3c28675ac3cf5c182b165c7202323806.png

Unfortunately, there was no sign of the Null Island buoy, but we were here. 

0 degrees is one reasons for the legend of falling off the edge of the earth. As you approach the equator going south, the North Star disappears and your astrolabe reaches its limit. Without your main way to navigate in the Northern Hemisphere, you were entering the unknown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve confirmed with my sources that while Viking Corporate approved our deviation to Null Island, it had one caveat. Sky was required to send a tender ahead last night with a cloaking cape to cover the buoy so we couldn’t see it.  

The cloak is rigged to self destruct at midnight so that the buoy will be visible in three (or is it two?) days. If you go to the stern then you may be able to see the cape when it starts burning (🎼insert mission impossible self destruct music here🎶

#NeptuneGetsEverything😂

Thanks @PeterPan48 for making me aware of this plot. 

• Haha 6

Only 10 for LCR today but Linda was still happy to head back to her stateroom with an extra $27!

Could be you tomorrow.  3:30 pool bar, bring 3 one dollar bills-no experience necessary😂

IMG_5344.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/19/2023 at 1:51 AM, Penspack said:

This is a "Live Thread" for questions and discussions with the passengers on the Viking Sky from December 20, 2023 - May 6, 2024.

During this time on the Sky there will be passengers from 6 different cruises.

The passengers on the ship for the duration are on the "Viking World Cruise". This is from 

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to London (Greenwich). We are also embarking with people on the "Panama Canal & the Pacific Coast" cruise [Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Los Angeles, California, December 20, 2023 - January 6, 2024] who will disembark in LA.

Joining us on January 6, 2024 in LA are the people on the "Viking World Journeys" cruise [Los Angeles, California to London (Greenwich), January 6 - May 6, 2024] as well as passengers on the "Grand South Pacific & Australia" cruise [Los Angeles, California to Sydney, January 6, 2024 - February 15, 2024].

In February, we will lose the "Grand South Pacific & Australia" passengers and gain those on the "Jewels of Australia & Asia" cruise [Sydney to Singapore, February 15 - March 13, 2024] and in March there will be another exchange where we pick up the "Asia to Europe Grand Passage" cruisers [Singapore to London (Greenwich), March 13 - May 6, 2024].

I know I will not meet everyone on the ship, but I hope to get to meet (IRL) and know others from the "Cruise Critic Family" who we have exchanged posts with for what seems like forever.

Here's to a Great Adventure..

As a seasoned Sky cruiser I am sure you have the answer I need regarding electronics. Do I need a special plug for iPhone or iPhone charging ? 

3 minutes ago, TravelerTeacherRetired said:

As a seasoned Sky cruiser I am sure you have the answer I need regarding electronics. Do I need a special plug for iPhone or iPhone charging ? 

No.  Bring your standard converter.  The Viking ships are equipped with both std US 110 V plugs and the European plugs.

If you plan on going on any over-land journeys, you may need a US-to European converter.  

I suggest you bring a back up power bank for your iPhone, just in case.  You don't want to be in the situation where you can't take photos at the end of a long excursion.

• Like 2

Standard converter? You mean the one that I have with the phone already? Sorry I’m not a tech person. Good idea on the back up power. Thanks 

7 minutes ago, UWDawg said:

No.  Bring your standard converter.  The Viking ships are equipped with both std US 110 V plugs and the European plugs.

If you plan on going on any over-land journeys, you may need a US-to European converter.  

I suggest you bring a back up power bank for your iPhone, just in case.  You don't want to be in the situation where you can't take photos at the end of a long excursion.

image.jpg

2 hours ago, TravelerTeacherRetired said:

Standard converter? You mean the one that I have with the phone already? Sorry I’m not a tech person. Good idea on the back up power. Thanks 

image.jpg

Cabins also have USB charging ports. Some tour buses also have USB outlets so bring a charging cable when you go on excursions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TravelerTeacherRetired said:

image.jpg

Yes, you can bring your usual phone plug. It will work on the ship. 

On prior Viking ships we have had USB-A plugs at the bedside.  Recently on  Neptune we had USB-C plugs.  Fortunately I have the C to A adapters and 110vac to USB-C always in my computer bag.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

On prior Viking ships we have had USB-A plugs at the bedside.  Recently on  Neptune we had USB-C plugs.  Fortunately I have the C to A adapters and 110vac to USB-C always in my computer bag.

Oh, oh.  We are on Neptune in three weeks and I don’t really know what this means.  

23 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

No idea what those are so I guess I’ll hit up the Apple Store to find out.

Posted (edited)

I’m wondering if is the difference in the new charging cord for my iPhone 15 and my old iPhone 8?  They aren’t the same and they aren’t interchangeable.  

Edited by SantaFe1

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’m wondering if is the difference in the new charging cord for my iPhone 15 and my old iPhone 8?  They aren’t the same and they aren’t interchangeable.  

The new iPhone has a “fast” charger (more amps) so it uses a different plug on the charger side. Both chargers are compatible, but the old one takes longer to charge. The iPhone side is either lightning or USB-C. USB-C is the new standard and because of EU lawsuits, Apple is eliminating the lightning connector.

• Like 1