grand princess 20th December till 22nd of January

today we had lunch in the main dining room.

the quality  on this cruise is so inconsistent.

mum and I shared some calamari on the Xmas cruise one lunch which were very good. she has since had them a few times. today I orded the goulash and it was so awful, like a box of salt has been dropped into it by mistake. so Wayan the waiter quickly switched it to calamari like my mum was having and I couldn't believe how bad it was compared to the other cruise. mum was disappointed too.

So don't listen to any of my comments regarding the food as the quality  changes so quickly.

20240120_110248.jpg

20240120_110253.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

If it's the Sophie I am thinking of (we last saw her on Pacific Encounter) she's a gem. A Yorkshire lass, I think. Very outgoing and lots of fun. I think she could do with not piling on the make up so heavily, but that's her choice.🙂

It would be a different Sophie. This one has been with Princess back before & since the shutdown, so not possible for Encounter. She does remind me a bit of "mini me", and I do wonder if she is still with P&O. 

52 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It would be a different Sophie. This one has been with Princess back before & since the shutdown, so not possible for Encounter. She does remind me a bit of "mini me", and I do wonder if she is still with P&O. 

The Sophie to whom I refer joined Encounter around May last year. I'm pretty sure the cruise we were on was her first gig in the role.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

The Sophie to whom I refer joined Encounter around May last year. I'm pretty sure the cruise we were on was her first gig in the role.

Lots of new CDs on P&O over the past year. I am not sure what changed, but most of the established ones have left and gone on to other gigs since restart.

1 hour ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

today we had lunch in the main dining room.

the quality  on this cruise is so inconsistent.

mum and I shared some calamari on the Xmas cruise one lunch which were very good. she has since had them a few times. today I orded the goulash and it was so awful, like a box of salt has been dropped into it by mistake. so Wayan the waiter quickly switched it to calamari like my mum was having and I couldn't believe how bad it was compared to the other cruise. mum was disappointed too.

So don't listen to any of my comments regarding the food as the quality  changes so quickly.

20240120_110248.jpg

20240120_110253.jpg

That's a shame, the goulash soup has always been one of my favourites.

Speaking of favourites, I'm not seeing as many of the dishes I've always loved on the menus you've been posting. This is not a good sight for the world cruise on Coral! 🤔😱

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's a shame, the goulash soup has always been one of my favourites.

Speaking of favourites, I'm not seeing as many of the dishes I've always loved on the menus you've been posting. This is not a good sight for the world cruise on Coral! 🤔😱

menus are different. which is good and bad.

I haven't seen the goats cheese souffle yet. although I was sick one day and didn't get to the dining room for dinner for first formal night this cruise. mum went but didn't notice if it was on there.

food in general is disappointing in the dining room. but then I don't expect fine dining on princess (but would like it)

6 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

menus are different. which is good and bad.

I haven't seen the goats cheese souffle yet. although I was sick one day and didn't get to the dining room for dinner for first formal night this cruise. mum went but didn't notice if it was on there.

food in general is disappointing in the dining room. but then I don't expect fine dining on princess (but would like it)

I noticed they've changed the goat cheese souffle from an appetiser to a main course. I think I saw that on Diamond late last year. I was to busy enjoying the extra Japanese specials to take much notice of it though.

Cunard had the goat cheese souffle the other night. It was served a bit differently to Princess, and I think it was a bit bigger, but just as delicious.

the surf and turf has two slices of prawn dumpling which is like a really revolting asian fishball.

I had to sneakily remove it from my mouth into a tissue  and put it in my handbag. I was scared to swallow it.

beef was good

mum didn't like her tuna steak

20240120_172201.jpg

20240120_172209.jpg

If something isn't up to scratch, it is worth telling them. Sure, it isn't meant to be fine dining, but it is meant to be good quality, tasty and hot/cold as required. Most important, it should be edible. Barb will often feign that she isn't hungry when she gets something she doesn't like, but I make sure they know she didn't enjoy it and is just being too polite. 

It is a shame your dishes have been inconsistent, and I hope it hasn't left too bad a taste in your mouth. I don't mind a good creme brule, but the main reason I get them is to check whether they know what they are doing. It is a magically simple dessert, but also easy to stuff-up if they are cutting corners in the galley. 

Thanks for your daily updates. It has been fun to follow your cruises again. Enjoy your last sea day.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, arxcards said:

If something isn't up to scratch, it is worth telling them. Sure, it isn't meant to be fine dining, but it is meant to be good quality, tasty and hot/cold as required. Most important, it should be edible. Barb will often feign that she isn't hungry when she gets something she doesn't like, but I make sure they know she didn't enjoy it and is just being too polite. 

It is a shame your dishes have been inconsistent, and I hope it hasn't left too bad a taste in your mouth. I don't mind a good creme brule, but the main reason I get them is to check whether they know what they are doing. It is a magically simple dessert, but also easy to stuff-up if they are cutting corners in the galley. 

Thanks for your daily updates. It has been fun to follow your cruises again. Enjoy your last sea day.

I tell them usually. 

• Like 1

take a look at the event listing.

under crown grill they have salty dog for lunch. our waiter at breakfast said that's the pub lunch now.

we noticed that there was no pub lunch for ages. so this will be something else that you will have to pay for or use your 2x casual meals if you have the plus package.

I had the plus package on the Christmas cruise and didn't use the 2x casual dining.

20240121_061920.jpg

20240121_061927.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I orded the goulash and it was so awful, like a box of salt has been dropped into it by mistake.

That's my main complaint about the food. they use far too much salt for my taste. there are salt shakers or grinders on the table, so why can't people who want more salt add their own?  Those of us with high blood pressure need to watch their salt intake

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

That's my main complaint about the food. they use far too much salt for my taste. there are salt shakers or grinders on the table, so why can't people who want more salt add their own?  Those of us with high blood pressure need to watch their salt intake

Yes, too much salt isn't good for you. For anyone with any issues with salt, they need only check the box and touch base with the maitre d after boarding. It won't account for the buffet, but meals are made to accommodate, although MDR may require pre-ordering the night before via your waiter.

Capture_91.jpg.89b87c12054dbdb3335a90eaaa3e7a35.jpg

• Like 1

Disembarked at Melbourne station pier this morning. We did self assist walk off, with a time of 7.50am. We managed to not receive yellow customs declaration cards last night so by the time we walked off the ship, waited for just two lifts in the terminal with our bags, found customs cards from station pier staff, completed them, passed through passport/customs clearance, waited in queue for a taxi, we were in the taxi at 8.35am. 

• Like 4

yes!yes!yes!   Many thanks for your excellent reports and photos of your Grand Princess Cruises.

Much appreciated by me. Happy cruising !!!🛳️

• Like 3