NCL stock

mbtmbt

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Yeah, the $100 stockholder credit sounds great, but since it's non-refundable, it's not really all that great.

It's worth $100 if you buy a single Shorex on the ship.  Last cruise, I bought exactly one Shorex and my final bill dropped $100.  That's maybe not "GREAT", but it beats a stick in the eye.😎

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, shoptom said:

It processed only through my onboard account so credit card reward points were not affected.

the NCL card?

true... sort of. it does, however, reduce your overall spend onboard and the amount of money you put on the card, thereby reducing the number of points you're subsequently awarded. the advantage play is to get a statement credit and charge as much as you can while onboard to your card.

5 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

After booking my next cruise (Getaway 4/19/24), I applied and received the NCL credit card.

I spent the appropriate amount to receive the $250 of obc, but I'm not sure how to get that applied.

Does anyone have any experience with that?

there is an entire thread here on CC devoted to strategies related to maximizing the value of NCL credit card points. in brief, the best use of credit card points (for most people) is using them for upgrades. if that doesn't make sense or you will never accrue enough points for that, then the best use is actually a statement credit... to pay down your bill and reduce the amount you owe. if you get OBC, you'll earn fewer points because the amount you charge will be reduced by the value of the OBC. better to charge everything to the NCL credit card and get the points. then pay on the back end with a statement credit.

as for how to order OBC, simply go to the credit card website, login, and click "redeem" and follow the prompts. you will need to do it at least three or four weeks before your sail date.

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

That's different than the NCLH stockholder's OBC ... 

IMHO and others will probably tell you, OBC isn't the best use with that $250 ... 

please skim thru this thread, sticky on top of Page 1 - 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/553841-ncl-mastercard-faq/?do=getNewComment

We leveraged it and just booked ahead (2024) an Oceanview (2nd highest category) and called into WorldPoint, spoke to an agent for a (single) Meta Upgrade, to a good mid-ship Balcony of our choice/deck based on what's available in their system ... that $250 is worth a saving (now) of about $1,200 since it's one of the longer itinerary.   

Read that WP thread, a # of expert answers & tips can be found.  Happy holidays.  

At the very top of the NCL board is a NCL MaaterCard sticky.  Everythng you ever wanted to know from people with lots of experience.

12 hours ago, mbtmbt said:

Does anyone have experience with owning NCL stock and the resulting benefits earned for cruising?

Yes.  We bought low and have an 84% gain, plus we have received 3x$100 and 1x$250 NR OBC.

If you are buying an airport transfer post cruise, that is a good use that you don't need to worry about buying in advance.  We also use it for any specialty dining tips, and odds and ends purchases on teh ship.

13 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

After booking my next cruise (Getaway 4/19/24), I applied and received the NCL credit card.

I spent the appropriate amount to receive the $250 of obc, but I'm not sure how to get that applied.

Does anyone have any experience with that?

TIA

Check the fine print on your deal.

Some OBC's do not appear on your account until you are onboard.

18 hours ago, mbtmbt said:

Apparently I need to book a tour or something during the cruise, instead of taking care of everything ahead of time!

See this post for a list.  Read through the posts, there were a couple additions to the list.

9 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

Yes.  We bought low and have an 84% gain, plus we have received 3x$100 and 1x$250 NR OBC.

If you are buying an airport transfer post cruise, that is a good use that you don't need to worry about buying in advance.  We also use it for any specialty dining tips, and odds and ends purchases on teh ship.

more great info. thanks for taking the time to respond, everyone

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

See this post for a list.  Read through the posts, there were a couple additions to the list.

very helpful post. fyi on a Sept 2023 cruise in Ireland the Non Refundable OBC I received for cancelled ports could NOT be applied to the DSC (mandatory service charges / tips). I had asked our butler if we needed to do anything special to apply the NR OBC, and he said 'no', it would apply automatically. That answer was not correct. We had charged photos and discretionary tips in specialty dining restaurants, and the $100 NR OBC was not applied to those items.

56 minutes ago, mbtmbt said:

. We had charged photos and discretionary tips in specialty dining restaurants, and the $100 NR OBC was not applied to those items.

I know this is a stock thread, but this is somewhat related, since it deals with the NR OBC from the stock.

So...we will have both Refundable OBC and Non-Refundable OBC on our next cruise. If we buy something on the ship to use up the NR OBC, how can we designate the NR to be used up first?

6 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I know this is a stock thread, but this is somewhat related, since it deals with the NR OBC from the stock.

So...we will have both Refundable OBC and Non-Refundable OBC on our next cruise. If we buy something on the ship to use up the NR OBC, how can we designate the NR to be used up first?

If you're purchasing something that can use non-refundable, the NR will be automatically applied prior to refundable.  IOW, just purchase something that can use NR.  You don't have to do anything.

• Like 2

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

If you're purchasing something that can use non-refundable, the NR will be automatically applied prior to refundable.  IOW, just purchase something that can use NR.  You don't have to do anything.

Exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thanks...

21 hours ago, mking8288 said:

That's different than the NCLH stockholder's OBC ... 

IMHO and others will probably tell you, OBC isn't the best use with that $250 ... 

please skim thru this thread, sticky on top of Page 1 - 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/553841-ncl-mastercard-faq/?do=getNewComment

We leveraged it and just booked ahead (2024) an Oceanview (2nd highest category) and called into WorldPoint, spoke to an agent for a (single) Meta Upgrade, to a good mid-ship Balcony of our choice/deck based on what's available in their system ... that $250 is worth a saving (now) of about $1,200 since it's one of the longer itinerary.   

Read that WP thread, a # of expert answers & tips can be found.  Happy holidays.  

https://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/cruise-line-credit-cards/

57 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

56 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thanks...

Not that it's necessary, but what the heck:  I concur with RocketMan275, I've had exactly that experience.  

• Thanks 1

Bought 100 stocks each of NCL & CLL 6/2022

NCL $13.30 (now $20.95 so $765 increase in value)

CCL $10.80 (now $18.93 so $800 increase in value)

Since then:

4 NCL cruises=$400 

Plus 1 more next month=$100

$500 total OBC

5 Princess cruises (plus one short one)=$550

Plus 2 more in 2024=$350

CCL=$900  in OBC credit (which can be used for anything!)

So $1500+ increase in value plus $1500 OBC.

Hell of a return on an investment of less than $2500.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KKB said:

Bought 100 stocks each of NCL & CLL 6/2022

NCL $13.30 (now $20.95 so $765 increase in value)

CCL $10.80 (now $18.93 so $800 increase in value)

Since then:

4 NCL cruises=$400 

$500 total OBC

Plus 2 more in 2024=$350

Yep.  I bought NCLH at $16.  Then it dropped to $12.  Then up to $20.  Then back to $14.  Now over $20.  None of that matters.  It's the $100 or $250 dividends that I "earn" on every cruise.  That's the gravy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Glad to be of service.

Since  my wife told me that she would ensure all OBC, refundable or not, was used, I really don't worry about OBC

We once had more OBC than I thought we would use, but my DW also made sure it all got used up when she demanded the most expensive of the excursions to Anne of Green Gables.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

4 NCL cruises=$400 

$500 total OBC

Plus 2 more in 2024=$350

By my calculations (of course, I've been known to be wrong) it's $1400 in OBC.

But who's counting? Oh wait, we both are...😁

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We once had more OBC than I thought we would use, but my DW also made sure it all got used up when she demanded the most expensive of the excursions to Anne of Green Gables.

We are both truly fortunate to have such wonderful wives to take the pressure of managing OBC from off our hands.

We got $250 for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise.  Spent it on gifts and knick nacks including a stuffed bear in a Captain's outfit.  Also ate at Cocos.  The credit covered the treats and base gratuity but not any additional gratuity.  

I bought the 100 shares in April 2020, when everything tanked. I got 100 of NCLH and 100 of CCL, but couldn't afford the $24/share for Royal Caribbean. I didn't buy it just for the OBC, but have a hope that it will all go back to where it was pre-pandemic. This may or may not happen.

I did a cruise on the Escape in September. Filling out the form and emailing it was easy. I got the $100 non-refundable OBC. A thing to note is that I booked the cruise with the $50 shore excursion credit Free At Sea stuff.

Disclaimer: The following might not happen to you, but it happened to me.

So I got on board and found an excursion for $69 that looked good. On the second day of the cruise, a spot opened up and I got that. My stockholder OBC paid for it. The day after the excursion, I looked at my account and I had $31 of non-refundable OBC and $50 of refundable OBC. The shore excursion credit had laundered my non-refundable OBC into something I could use to buy CruiseNext.

• Like 1