New Princess App available

iamaqt2

My experience with the new app -

I have both the old and new app.  I checked in on the new app and removed my credit card from the onshore purchases section.  When I ordered Medallions, I didn't get a shipping option at all.  I was showing as 6/7 complete with my husband as 7/7.  

Following the advice of a previous poster, I added my credit card to the onshore purchases section and then cancelled my previous Medallion order.  I placed a new order and the shipping option was offered for free (we have the Plus package.)  Both of us showed 7/7 complete at this time.  I went back and deleted my card from the onshore purchases.  Went back to 6/7 complete for me.  Old app showed both of us in green lane.

We are 11 days from boarding and the Boarding Pass tab showed up on the home screen of the new app. today.   We also got our Medallions in the mail today.  We are both showing as green lane in the new app even though I am only 6/7 complete.

We're ready to go!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAT0303 said:

I have both the old and new app.  I checked in on the new app and removed my credit card from the onshore purchases section.  When I ordered Medallions, I didn't get a shipping option at all.  I was showing as 6/7 complete with my husband as 7/7.  

Following the advice of a previous poster, I added my credit card to the onshore purchases section and then cancelled my previous Medallion order.  I placed a new order and the shipping option was offered for free (we have the Plus package.)  Both of us showed 7/7 complete at this time.  I went back and deleted my card from the onshore purchases.  Went back to 6/7 complete for me.  Old app showed both of us in green lane.

We are 11 days from boarding and the Boarding Pass tab showed up on the home screen of the new app. today.   We also got our Medallions in the mail today.  We are both showing as green lane in the new app even though I am only 6/7 complete.

We're ready to go!

Congrats on beating the System!!  This is exactly what I expected would happen by going your route.  You get Medallions and are Green and good to go.  Stupid App be damned.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2and2 said:

I bet if your wife would have loaded the new app, you would show all checked  in and green,  and she would have been out of the green lane.  That is what mine shows. I decided not to worry 

Wrong thread 

Edited by leck57

On 1/4/2024 at 2:20 PM, Steelers36 said:

By this I interpret that PCL is only allowing guests to provide a different CC for Shoreside purchasing up to a point prior to embarkation.  They must have a cut-off date/time to send the information to the Radiqual 3rd party who will be loading it into their system.  IMO, the key record locator will be the Medallion ID code in each case, plus a name match. 

The retailer can see who the guest is when a Medallion is tapped in the store due to the live connection with ship's database.  All the retailer needs to know is if the guest has setup to do payments in this way.  It's the ship that should know which CC to bill.  But IDK if that part is totally correct.

I am not having any success trying to get clarity.  At least I was reassured that "you don't need to worry if you haven't authorized Shoreside Transactions prior to boarding, you can always go to Guest Services and add it later."  🥴

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just checked, and the app is showing both of us are still completely checked in.  If you are concerned about only showing 6 of 7 and whether or not it will put you in blue lane at the terminal, you may want to consider going out and purchasing a small dollar amount Visa pre-paid card.  If you were to list a $25 pre-paid Visa card for the Shoreside Transactions account, you should end up showing 7 of 7 and all green checkmarks and you are only exposing yourself to $25 which you can either spend onshore or spend it on groceries after your cruise.  It worked for me.

Keep in mind that free advice is often worth what you paid for it...😄 

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I just checked, and the app is showing both of us are still completely checked in.  If you are concerned about only showing 6 of 7 and whether or not it will put you in blue lane at the terminal, you may want to consider going out and purchasing a small dollar amount Visa pre-paid card.  If you were to list a $25 pre-paid Visa card for the Shoreside Transactions account, you should end up showing 7 of 7 and all green checkmarks and you are only exposing yourself to $25 which you can either spend onshore or spend it on groceries after your cruise.  It worked for me.

Keep in mind that free advice is often worth what you paid for it...😄 

Read posts 970 and 974. 😀

3 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Read posts 970 and 974. 😀

I did.  My post started by saying "If you are concerned about only showing 6 of 7 and whether or not it will put you in blue lane at the terminal,"   The whole purpose of that post was to offer a suggestion if it would give someone peace of mind and not have to rely completely on two posts on Cruise Critic.  It is really a small price to pay for the comfort level for some cruisers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I did.  My post started by saying "If you are concerned about only showing 6 of 7 and whether or not it will put you in blue lane at the terminal,"   The whole purpose of that post was to offer a suggestion if it would give someone peace of mind and not have to rely completely on two posts on Cruise Critic.  It is really a small price to pay for the comfort level for some cruisers.

No need to be concerned. A member of ours is currently on a cruise ship now, and followed the same recommendation in 970. Another member enter a cc in Shoreside Transaction in order to get his medallion mailed to home than shortly after that, he deleted the cc in Shoreside Transaction. So, if you have the Medallion mailed to you, then you’re in green lane. Doesn’t matter what the App says 6 of 7. . 😀

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Why should I even have to try and beat the system and appease an issue and put a band aid on it by buying a gift card to fix an issue that should be fixed by PCL

Appreciate no punctuation 😏

Nancy

You know when no one speaks up, the company thinks nothing is wrong and everyone is happy and all is working 💯 

The shoreside card issue needs to be fixed, not skirted around JMHO

Agreed, but until they do fix it some people would prefer the workaround.  Trust me, they know something is wrong and they are either ignoring the problem, prioritizing the work or want to keep making you put an authorization in for their shoreside purchases since PCL is now getting a cut of your shoreside purchases made through the medallion.  I don't plan to use the medallion off the ship so they're not making any money from me on that.

No one is forcing you to follow my suggestion.  If you don't plan to do it, then don't.  If you're content to rely on free advice to either do the workaround or don't do the workaround, one should do whatever gives them more comfort.  After all, isn't that what cruising is all about?

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Agreed, but until they do fix it some people would prefer the workaround.  Trust me, they know something is wrong and they are either ignoring the problem, prioritizing the work or want to make you put an authorization in for their shoreside purchases since PCL is now getting a cut of your shoreside purchases made through the medallion.  I don't plan to use the medallion off the ship so they're not making any money from me on that.

The problem is, it may take awhile to fix this problems and other issues. I do understand your concern however, things aren’t perfect these days so “we” need to work around it until Princess fix’s the problem. My understanding from members if they have there Medallion with them when boarding, all they do is to enter the green lane where an agent will scan your Medallion with no questions asked.  Before you know it, your on board and your Shoreside Transaction has no cc #. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DHP1 said:

The problem is, it may take awhile to fix this problems and other issues. I do understand your concern however, things aren’t perfect these days so “we” need to work around it until Princess fix’s the problem. My understanding from members if they have there Medallion with them when boarding, all they do is to enter the green lane where an agent will scan your Medallion with no questions asked.  Before, you know it your on board and your Shoreside Transaction has no cc #. 

Understood.  I also understand that consistency across all ships and embarkation terminals is nonexistent, and it has always been that way.  What will work on the Regal Princess, won't necessarily work on Caribbean Princess and the same is true for Seattle or Port Everglades.

@schooner_Drinker seems to think that the $25 is being spent on the pre-paid Visa card.  The $25 on the card is not being spent unless you spend it.  If you don't spend it, then you still keep your $25.  I don't know what fee would be charged for purchasing it, as the card I used was a rebate from a product I once bought.

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Understood.  I also understand that consistency across all ships and embarkation terminals is nonexistent, and it has always been that way.  What will work on the Regal Princess, won't necessarily work on Caribbean Princess and the same is true for Seattle or Port Everglades.

@schooner_Drinker seems to think that the $25 is being spent on the pre-paid Visa card.  The $25 on the card is not being spent unless you spend it.  If you don't spend it, then you still keep your $25.  I don't know what fee would be charged for purchasing it, as the card I used was a rebate from a product I once bought.

$5.95 activation for a $25 card

$5.95 activation for a $500 card

2 specialty dinners for a 5 day cruise

2 specialty dinners for a 50 day cruise

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

$5.95 activation for a $25 card

$5.95 activation for a $500 card

2 specialty dinners for a 5 day cruise

2 specialty dinners for a 50 day cruise

By providing your “prepaid Visa card online”, you are subject to the activation fee.  

Edited by DHP1

7 hours ago, 2and2 said:

What?  I responded to a poster on this thread about the new app and my experience.

No, I meant the comment I had done was in the wrong thread.

21 hours ago, JAT0303 said:

We're ready to go!

I love this!  
One question:  The boarding pass tab showed up at 11 days, does it also give you a QR code on the new App?

Not that you need it, just curious.

11 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I love this!  
One question:  The boarding pass tab showed up at 11 days, does it also give you a QR code on the new App?

Not that you need it, just curious.

Yes, there is a QR code.  Here's a screenshot of what it looked like.  It has deck and cabin number at the bottom.

Princess Boarding Pass.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JAT0303 said:

Yes, there is a QR code.  Here's a screenshot of what it looked like.  It has deck and cabin number at the bottom.

Princess Boarding Pass.jpg

Thanks.  Have a great time!  Appreciate your feedback on this.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

From what I can see everyone is missing the main point from PCL's point of view, it all comes down to thier bottom line. If enough people just don't use the meddalion for purchases PCL will not make the returns that they expext and want. 

I agree that it needs to optional to sign up for the shoreside purchases but it is just as important to make sure everyone understands how this will work If this concept catches on and is used by all of the cruise lines it will not take long for the vendors ro raise prices by sat 25% so they cover the extra costs,

Just my perspective  Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So I had DH pull up the app on his phone, and he can use the app without issue and sees our voyage. I still cannot select dining reservations. But there is definitely an issue with my id since I cannot even see the journey. 

53 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

I guess I am not getting it then 🤯

The choice not to sign up for something that I don’t want to - is my choice, if that affects PCL’s bottom line - so what.

There are other ways I will spend my money on the ship, I don’t need an account onboard to buy stuff in other countries (so PCL can make more money from me)

When you purchase a car, do you give the dealership permission to give your credit card data, email  and telephone # to a gaming company in Vegas to store your card info, just incase you decide to buy a Rolex in a pawn shop on the old strip ? 

In essence by clicking the box “I Agree” that’s exactly what you are doing 

The point in case, is not about what PCL makes from this, it’s the choice to not give out personal data to a 3rd party in order for you to complete the check in process in the NEW APP

Nancy 🍹

I am not disagreeing with you I just feel that there is another side that is important as well

• Like 2

I have been trying to access the web version of the app but keep getting an error message that the server can’t be found.  Is that just because I’m onboard or would I be getting this same error message if I were trying to use it at home?  TIA!

18 minutes ago, kamelia said:

I have been trying to access the web version of the app but keep getting an error message that the server can’t be found.  Is that just because I’m onboard or would I be getting this same error message if I were trying to use it at home?  TIA!

Don't know if it's because you are on board but I just tried the web version of the App and it all opened up ok. Of course even though I selected our cruise in July, when I tried DMW it opened up the days for our cruise in Feb. But that's another story.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Don't know if it's because you are on board but I just tried the web version of the App and it all opened up ok. Of course even though I selected our cruise in July, when I tried DMW it opened up the days for our cruise in Feb. But that's another story.

Thanks for the response!  I have a sneaking suspicion that this means all versions of the app - new, old and web - will no longer allow use onboard for anything other than your current cruise.  

32 minutes ago, kamelia said:

Thanks for the response!  I have a sneaking suspicion that this means all versions of the app - new, old and web - will no longer allow use onboard for anything other than your current cruise.  

That is what i have been told when I am on the ship. Try using the port free WiFi (if the port has it) to try and get to your future cruises