Reservations specialty restaurants

roman70

This is our first time on NCL.

Is it possible to book specialty restaurants during the cruise?

Background: We have three reservations included with Free at Sea and already in November we had difficulty finding any availability at all and if so, then only at bad times very early or very late.

We would actually be interested in purchasing two more reservations as an upgrade, which is cheaper. But if we can't find any decent times for availability, we'd rather not.

We will start on January 27th on the Bliss.

Roman and Daniela

Switzerland

Yes it's possible to book onboard. And I've also had good experiences when I've booked a later time that would have preferred and walked to the restaurant and asked if maybe there is a chance they could seat me earlier. (I'm a solo traveller and they can usually find a seat for me somewhere. 😄)

There are screens showing availability with green, yellow and red dots and I often see yellow (filling up fast) even if no times show in the app.

Sure, you can book onboard or even walk up without a reservation. There are posters here that you will mandate that you must book in advance, but we have had good experiences booking on board or even walking up to the hostess and making a polite inquiry. I wouldn't recommend this during the peak hours of 6-730. They will try to accommodate you. 

Whilst it is certainly true that walk ins are possible, if you have any specific requirements regarding time and location then I would advise booking as early as possible on embarkation day.

More reservations are made available once boarding starts, but it is first come first served so get it done early for the best selection.

You'll be fine. We do make reservations ahead of the cruise, then we always swap them onboard, because they don't work out for us. 

I suppose if you really want to go to the fancy (it's not really) Le Bistro, Cagney's, or Ocean Blue, then you may need to get onboard quickly to make your reservations. I've seen plenty of reservations for these restaurants, but sometimes it's at 5:30 or after 8 PM. 5:30 works for us. After 8 doesn't.

For any other restaurant, you'll find a reservation. Just know it may not be on the exact date or exact time you are looking for so you have to be flexible. 

Example: on my last cruise (November on Pr1ma), a day before wanting to go to Los Lobos we changed the time. We could have eaten at any time that next day. We actually wound up canceling the reservation as we chose Hasuki on the same day. Hasuki had availability the entire night. And it is the most limited of seats to get since they are only able to turn those big hibachi tables over a certain number of times each night. 

As @KeithJenner points out, if you want a specific time and a specific date, you may not be able to reserve your party. Otherwise, you're not going to run into issues. Please report back. I'd love to know if I'm just blowing a whole bunch of smoke. 

Also - have one heck of an amazing cruise! 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the answers.

But it sounds to me like I would do without the discounted purchase of two specialty restaurant reservations in advance and instead see if we can find something suitable during the cruise.

You’re on a 15 day cruise.  I would definitely upgrade/add 2 or more specialty meals.  Bliss has a great selection of venues.  Our favorites are LeBistro, Ocean Blue, Cagney’s. But LaCucina, Los Lobos, Food Republic are nice, as well.  Plus they have Q, American Diner and Teppanyaki.  So many to choose from.  

1 minute ago, roman70 said:

But it sounds to me like I would do without the discounted purchase of two specialty restaurant reservations in advance and instead see if we can find something suitable during the cruise.

I’m not sure why you concluded that. If you fancy two more meals then you can purchase the discounted package now and then book your restaurants onboard.

If you want to wait until the night to book something, or try walking up, then I would only recommend this if you really aren’t fussed exactly where and when you eat, but there is little or no risk of you not being able to use your dining credits if you book something a little way in advance.

As mentioned above, on a 15 day cruise you have lots of options.

Just now, laudergayle said:

It’s on our bucket list.

Yeah... when I saw the inside cabin for $1600 for a solo (plus ancillary costs like port fees and taxes, grats, etc) I jumped on it!  I'm still working, but I booked it 6 months ago so I was able to get time off approval before I booked it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roman70 said:

This is what I suggest:

On boarding day, go to the desk where they are doing dining reservations. I think it is likely to be at Teppanyaki.

Adjust your current reservations to more preferred times, if possible.

Then, see if there are more slots at the restaurants you like that meet your requirements. If so, make the reservations - and then purchase the upgrade package.

One caution - if any one the 2 new ones is for a flat rate venue, you will need to pay to get the res. If they are not, you're good to go. If there are any of those then purchase the upgrade immediately. Use the app on your phone; or the res desk may be able to "sell" it to you through their systeem and complete your reservations on the spot.

Good luck.