NY drive to Toronto for Non-Stop to Vancouver

Mr. Bungle

As an UpStateNY resident, flying out of Syracuse can get a bit pricey. We are looking to drive to Toronto (@3 1/2 hrs) and fly non-stop to Vancouver. This will cut the plane fare almost in half. Doing a ton of research and I cannot find anything that stands out as "Be Aware" to do this. I have read that we may need some extra time on the return to clear customs, but is there anything that I am missing that could tank this idea?

You may find some useful information on parking options in the Canadian Cruisers forum, https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?&q=Parking&type=forums_topic&nodes=2510&search_and_or=or

Highway traffic in and around YYZ can be horrific. Depending on time of day, you may need to factor in significant slow downs. 

Border crossing times can also be a factor. You may want to monitor https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html a few weeks before and at expected crossing time to see if you need to adjust departure time. The page also has a link to CBP information for the return trip.

23 hours ago, broberts said:

You may find some useful information on parking options in the Canadian Cruisers forum, https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?&q=Parking&type=forums_topic&nodes=2510&search_and_or=or

Highway traffic in and around YYZ can be horrific. Depending on time of day, you may need to factor in significant slow downs. 

Border crossing times can also be a factor. You may want to monitor https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html a few weeks before and at expected crossing time to see if you need to adjust departure time. The page also has a link to CBP information for the return trip.

23 hours ago, broberts said:

broberts, Thanks for the links. Will defiantly give them a look as we get closer. Probably a 2pm flight out or later to ensure clearance.  

23 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Although there are more non-stops to YVR from YYZ than YOW, depending on your schedule and time of year, you may want to think about Ottawa.  The drive is easier and parking cheaper. d9704011, The price difference out of Ottawa would be the cost of gas and parking. 

23 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Add the cost of parking to your calculations. Gas. 

I calculated a tank out, tank back, between $150-$200 and $175-200 for parking. $1200 for 2 RT tix from Toronto plus extras would be around $1600/$1700 as opposed to $2500 out of Syracuse. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 9:01 AM, Mr. Bungle said:

As an UpStateNY resident, flying out of Syracuse can get a bit pricey. We are looking to drive to Toronto (@3 1/2 hrs) and fly non-stop to Vancouver. This will cut the plane fare almost in half. Doing a ton of research and I cannot find anything that stands out as "Be Aware" to do this. I have read that we may need some extra time on the return to clear customs, but is there anything that I am missing that could tank this idea?

Not sure who you are sailing with, nor when, however Buffalo is between $900 & $1200 per person.  Not non-stop but no boarder traffic issues.  Yes you have customs, however you’re on the plane & in Vancouver, better issues there than Niagara Falls.  I’ve looked into Toronto also but the savings isn’t enough to fight the boarder.  We are sailing the end of August & through Holland have gotten $920pp. 

On 12/28/2023 at 10:08 AM, d9704011 said:

Although there are more non-stops to YVR from YYZ than YOW, depending on your schedule and time of year, you may want to think about Ottawa.  The drive is easier and parking cheaper.

I fully agree with this. I know both YOW and YYZ very well and would never use Pearson if I could fly from Ottawa. From Syracuse it appears Ottawa is an hour closer than Pearson, and the US/Canada border crossing will probably be easier than the one heading to Toronto. YOW is much easier to navigate, being MUCH smaller than YYZ, and parking is much easier and much less expensive. There should be enough non-stop YOW-YVR flights available

Driving last June to spend a night in Ottawa prior to a longer stay in St. Hippolyte, we drove up 81, then took local NY roads along the St. Lawrence to Ogdensburg where we crossed the border to the 416. We were the only ones at the checkpoint going into Canada! Welcomed warmly! Easy peasy!

A few years back we flew out/into Toronto for an Icelandair flight. Parked our car at a Comfort Inn near the airport, staying there the night of our return on a stay/fly package, so it is a doable option.

However, every border crossing over the Niagara River we've ever made has been less than pleasant- lots of traffic leading to long lines, spendy tolls and unfriendly agents, particularly heading back to the US.

I concur with the suggestion to fly out of YOW vs, YYZ.