2024 Grand World Voyage with The Inside Cabin

The-Inside-Cabin

13 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Henk, Cruise Director Kimberly and the Captain. Welcomed us in the terminal.  

IMG_3734.thumb.jpeg.2886c70701291d0f0765f0f773264b38.jpegIMG_3733.thumb.jpeg.a07d84846ab541686c62ad15f969a813.jpegIMG_3734.thumb.png.009c6e78fcefda0a43f46227e4ef5bcc.png

Kimberly was CD on the Tales of the South Pacific this last fall. You will love her.

6 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Oh no! Who lost their passport?

We never heard anything more about it - I assume it was found; otherwise, we would have heard more announcements.   My guess is the person may have stuck it in a different bag and forgot where it was until a little later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Startlink Internet speed - Wow!

Previous cruises were lucky to get above 6 Mbps - But we are still in the Caribbean when the speed is always pretty good.   We'll see how we do in the mid pacific.

image.thumb.png.b1922563dd8b59b638c6e12c86f6ff94.png

Pete, the speeds were great all through the SP this fall. We were able to send and receive videos as fast as when we are home! 7 weeks of simply amazing WIFI. We were amazed. 
Cheers, Denise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Recently, I was sitting outside one night, contemplating life, when I saw a Starlink train go by, not long followed by the space station!  Boy, did I luck out.  Probably never would have happened if I’d planned it. 😄 

As always, I am enjoying your trip report.  Thanks for letting us follow along and for all the great information.  Happy travels!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

After all the angst about the Brazilian Visas, we learned that the requirement has been extended for 90 days....so it is no longer an issue for us.

https://www.in.gov.br/en/web/dou/-/decreto-n-11.875-de-4-de-janeiro-de-2024-535758664

What requirement? I thought the issue was not getting the visas on time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill B said:

What requirement? I thought the issue was not getting the visas on time.

You won't need a Brazilian Visa until April 10th.    It will be required after April 10th.   The issue was not getting the visas before we arrived in Brazil on 11 January, but that is no longer a concern for our cruise.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

THE GRAND ADVENTURE BEGINS (POST #6)

Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

Our 128 day adventure begins as we leave Fort Lauderdale

We left our hotel at about 10:15 am to get our luggage dropped off and return our rental car by 10:45 am so we could avoid a penalty for a late return.

tach-luggage.jpg The Tach Luggage makes it easy to transfer our bags ourselves

Avis gives you a 29-minute grace period, then charges you 3/4 of an entire day for being up to 1 hour late and then a full day after that.  We arrived at Terminal 26 at 10:30 am.  Porters were waiting as we arrived and quickly whisked away our five bags.  Judy sat down at a nearby bench to wait as I returned the car to the Port Everglades Avis gwv_dr_dinner_day_2.pdflocation a couple of miles away.  The drive to Avis took 10 minutes.  The Avis employees scanned the car back in, I boarded the shuttle bus and was back at Terminal 26 at 10:55 am.

We joined a line of about ten people at 11 am when the terminal doors opened.  Several large buses arrived just as we joined the line.

People at the door wanted to see a passport and boarding card – they didn’t inspect the document but wanted to save you time in case you forgot completely – best to start looking for your passport now rather than after waiting for a while in line.

NOTE:  Prior to the cruise we were advised by HAL that we would need Yellow Fever, Sri Lanka, Brazil and India visas before boarding, but over the last few weeks, we learned that only Brazil would be required and at the last minute all we needed was to complete a form that asked for our Brazil Visa application number and our current application status.  We later learned that Devils Island had decided to require the yellow fever proof at the last minute.

We were also advised to have two color copies of our passport page ready at check-in, but these were never collected or requested.  Not a huge deal, but it would be better if the pre-cruise documentation requirements that are posted on the website match what was actually required at check-in.  We will probably be asked to present these items later, but later is not the same as having to present them during check-in.

Once inside the terminal we turned in our Brazil Visa status form before moving on to security in the next room.

After security, we checked in quickly using the tablets on stands and then onto the next room, where they took our passports and gave us a boarding priority card.  We waited about 45 minutes before they called our boarding number, and we headed up the escalator to where the photographers were standing by.

checkin.jpg Check-in using the tablets was fast

Capt Frank, Hotel GM Henk, and Cruise &Travel Director Kimberly greeted us before we headed down the long jetway to the ship.  Along the way, we were given a Grand Voyage pin.

Kimberly-770.jpg
Captain-Frank.jpg

Once on the ship, we found our cabin – 8070, dropped off our bags, and headed to the Lido for a snack, champagne, and cake.  We visited with friends for a while before returning to our cabin to discover that most of our bags had arrived.  We received our final bag around 4:30 pm.

welcome770.jpg The Lido was filled with Welcome Aboard cake along with complementary champagne.
welcome-food.jpg
Welcome Aboard snacks
welcome-card.jpg
Note from Henk
desk-paper.jpg
This paperwork was waiting for us
cabin-8070.jpg
Our beds were separate but they were made up as a Queen by dinner time

The SailAway party started around 4:30 with waiters passing snacks, and after a bit, Cruise Director Kimberly made a few announcements.  One of the assistant cruise directors worked as a DJ and played some tunes.  Our real SailAway was about 2 hours late, about 7:30 pm, as we waited for spare parts for the ship to arrive.

RXV08947-scaled.jpg Sail Away Selfie, with table 89 dinner mates Kim and George (from left)

We were back at Table 89 for dinner at 7:30 with a group of 8, and we are off to a great start.  Dinner, as usual, was excellent.  I did note that Rustic Lasagna is now one of the items available daily.

On the World Stage at 7:30 pm, Cruise and Travel Director Kimberly introduced some of her team and gave an overview of the ports on this cruise.  We missed it as it was during our dinner time, but she will repeat the event tomorrow morning.

gwv_dr_dinner_day_2.pdf

1-3-24 Daily Program315.pdf 1-4-24 Daily Program314.pdf

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 12

Many times when we sailed on the Amsterdam, Henk was the Hotel GM and his wife Chrystal was the very helpful Guest Relations Manager.  Is she no longer with Holland America?  Hope I spelled her name right.  Just remembered that it had a y instead of an i.

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Many times when we sailed on the Amsterdam, Henk was the Hotel GM and his wife Chrystal was the very helpful Guest Relations Manager.  Is she no longer with Holland America?  Hope I spelled her name right.  Just remembered that it had a y instead of an i.

Ray

Christel Mensink is traveling with us on the world cruise with Hotel GM Henk Mensink, but she is not working for HAL.  

Her name is spelled Christel 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Christel Mensink is traveling with us on the world cruise with Hotel GM Henk Mensink, but she is not working for HAL.  

Her name is spelled Christel 

Thanks for the update.  Do they still cruise around the port area on their tandem bike?

• Like 1

Pete - can you ask Judy what brand shoes she is wearing in this photo?  I absolutely love her shoes!!  I have been reading your blog for a couple of years now and am so excited to follow along as you and Judy traverse the world once again!

image.thumb.png.3a1bc973c71c76eb47c26dc14ecb2868.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, moscow123456 said:

Pete - can you ask Judy what brand shoes she is wearing in this photo?  I absolutely love her shoes!!  I have been reading your blog for a couple of years now and am so excited to follow along as you and Judy traverse the world once again!

They are Rothy's

https://rothys.com/products/the-almond-loafer-desert-cat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moscow123456 said:

Here is some additional info on the Rothy's 

The shoe is The Loafer.  The color is Desert Cat.  Remember to order a half size bigger.  I love that they are machine washable!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

I'm curious as to what a photocopy of a passport will do for you?

I've never heard of such a suggestion in 19 years working for HAL.

David

I don't know.   HAL HQ sent out a memo asking us for two color copies of our passport.  we were supposed to hand them over during checkin.   No one in the terminal wanted them or knew why we were asked to have them.  

No one has asked for them so far on the ship 

They have never asked for copies in our 14 years of cruising with HAL.   

????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I don't know.   HAL HQ sent out a memo asking us for two color copies of our passport.  we were supposed to hand them over during checkin.   No one in the terminal wanted them or knew why we were asked to have them.  

No one has asked for them so far on the ship 

They have never asked for copies in our 14 years of cruising with HAL.   

????

I never travel without two color copies of our passports, and one is always with my family back home.  When traveling, one always stays in the cabin and one always goes with us when on shore. Life happens when traveling and redundancy is a safe harbor!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

You won't need a Brazilian Visa until April 10th.    It will be required after April 10th.   The issue was not getting the visas before we arrived in Brazil on 11 January, but that is no longer a concern for our cruise.

I feel sorry for all the people who went through all the hassle & anxiety (and money) to get a visa and now don't need them.

• Like 4

BLOCK PARTY AT SEA (POST #7) – 4 JAN 2024

Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Feature 1 of 1

We meet our neighbors during the first Block Party of the voyage

STUFFING NAMETAGS

The first Cruise Critic Meet and Greet is tomorrow.  Kim Pollock worked over the last month to print and prepare nametags for over 280 people who have been talking online about the cruise on Cruise Critic for over two years.  A Meet and Greet is a chance for people to meet face to face, often for the first time.

name-tags.jpg Shelly, Kim, Di and Craig met in the Billboard Bar to assemble the nametags that Kim printed.

ARTS AND CRAFTS

One of the most popular activities is Arts and Crafts, led by Nancy Grace and Cathy Decker.  The class meets daily at 2:30 and has become so popular that it has been divided into three groups of about 100 guests each.  Each group meets every third sea day.  There wasn’t a class today, but everyone signed up and picked the group they wanted to be in.

craft-sign-up-2.jpg Linda (c) and Bonita (r) with other crafters waiting to register for crafts craft-sign-up.jpg About 300 guests registered for the craft classes

BLOCK PARTY

The Block Party was the highlight of our day.  At 4 pm, members of the bar staff assembled on each floor and prepared bottles of champagne, wine and soft drinks.  Room stewards and other crewmembers walked up and down the hallways filling glasses provided by the guests from their rooms.  This encourages everyone to get out of their rooms and socialize with their neighbors.  Senior officers made speed runs covering all the passenger decks in less than the one hour set aside for the event.

block-party.jpg Bar staff work in the crew area between the hallways on each floor opening bottles and handing them to the room stewards who served the guests in the hallways. George, Food and Beverage Director, stopped by to chat George, Food and Beverage Director, stopped by to chat block-party2.jpg Jeanette and Debra enjoying some Doritos

block-party-770.jpg

block-party-yarn.jpg Jeanette had some wool yarn to give Project Linus, but they can only use acrylic, so Judy was happy to accept the donation.

ON THE WORLD STAGE

It was fun meeting all the neighbors, and we look forward to this monthly event.

kimberly-opens-show.jpg Cruise and Travel Director, Kimberly, introduced vocalist Camila Andrade

Vocalist Camila Andrade was the featured performer on the World Stage.  She sang a variety of music in different genres from Blues, Pop and Jazz including Carmen Miranda’s Chico, Chico and crowd favorites “Girl from Ipanema” and “Route 66”.

Camila-Andrade.jpg Camila Andrade
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Hi Pete,

I don't doubt what you posted.

A photocopy of a $5 bill won't buy coffee.

David

It might if you like jailhouse coffee.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2