Butler

cruise*enthusiast

1 hour ago, GayleR said:

So here's the deal, it's not a Haven suite.  Do the butlers that are not in the Haven follow the same "rules?"  We have booked an SJ catagory suite, it's the one with a bedroom.  Sorry, I am new to Norwegian.  I appreciate the responses so far!

Butlers inside and outside the Haven follow NCL policy. There are some things within their control that they could "help" you with. But going to a bar and pouring alcohol into a glass is not something they could do. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, slavetoabunny said:

When we were in the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Dawn (non-Haven ship), we had our butler bring us drinks a few times and were never charged for them.

Owner's suites and garden villas are a bit different. You get free liquor in your cabin, and the mini bar in your room is free as well. So the butler will restock your fridge and bring you sodas and things like that for free.

As for calling them asking them to bring you a pina colada and a Mr. Worldwide.... if they did and didn't charge you, I hope you tipped well as that is outside the scope of what they're *supposed* to do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Owner's suites and garden villas are a bit different. You get free liquor in your cabin, and the mini bar in your room is free as well. So the butler will restock your fridge and bring you sodas and things like that for free.

As for calling them asking them to bring you a pina colada and a Mr. Worldwide.... if they did and didn't charge you, I hope you tipped well as that is outside the scope of what they're *supposed* to do.

Yes, the butler brought mixed drinks to our cabin - and he was **very** well tipped for a 7-day cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GayleR said:

So here's the deal, it's not a Haven suite.  Do the butlers that are not in the Haven follow the same "rules?"  We have booked an SJ category suite, it's the one with a bedroom.  Sorry, I am new to Norwegian.  I appreciate the responses so far!

Your experience will depend on how busy your butler is attending to all of her/his /assigned suites.

Hopefully, the nearby slide (outside of your balcony) does not bother you as much as some previous cruisers have claimed it bothered them.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:42 PM, ggTexasGal said:

First, I will say that if your room happens to be a CLUB BALCONY SUITE, there is no butler or concierge service. (Plenty of people, understandably, mistake the name to be a full suite!)

There is no added charge for the delivered snacks. If you order meals from specialty restaurants you will have to use Free at Sea Dining Credit(s), or pay outright for the meal.  Your Butler can provide you more information regarding your specific case.  If you want no extra fee meals delivered to your room, be sure to ask you butler your questions to ensure that what your want is an option.

Tipping amount is very personal, and only you can determine the value you receive!  Some people are VERY generous and others can be miserly, but there is no set guideline for tipping. You may tip when and how much you please!  None-the-less, do be aware that the Butlers often have a dozen, or more, rooms to service.  Therefore, try to give them plenty of notice!

Enjoy!

Excellent summation!

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, slavetoabunny said:

When we were in the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Dawn (non-Haven ship), we had our butler bring us drinks a few times and were never charged for them.

@slavetoabunny One of the things that seems to be true is butlers have some flexibility.  Another way of saying that is inconsistencies from one butler to another. A lot of great cruisecritic.com member have provided great feedback to your question.  My whole focus when cruising myself or providing feedback to a question is, "Realistic Expectations".  Expect for example no drinks delivered complementary and have your expectation exceeded if and when they are. 

If you would like to have an idea of how to gain the most from a butler, consider a very controversial approach.  It is called a Butler letter.  When I created this concept, it was because I had some below average butler experiences.  Once I did it, the experiences became average to above average.  Butler_Crystal_Cruises_Template.docx  This link will bring up an example of the butler letter.  Some love it, some hate it. I use it every time now.

I have had butlers on; Crystal Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, NCL Haven Cruises and Oceania Cruises.  In each case, I used the information initially gained on a search of what a butler will and will not do to develop the butler letter.  The best butlers by far were on Crystal Cruises and Oceania Cruises.  The main reason was they had less cabins, and therefore were always available if and when I had a requestion. 

My goal in responding is again, to assist in expectations.  I hope in some way I did. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@slavetoabunny One of the things that seems to be true is butlers have some flexibility.  Another way of saying that is inconsistencies from one butler to another. A lot of great cruisecritic.com member have provided great feedback to your question.  My whole focus when cruising myself or providing feedback to a question is, "Realistic Expectations".  Expect for example no drinks delivered complementary and have your expectation exceeded if and when they are. 

My goal in responding is again, to assist in expectations.  I hope in some way I did. 

This is 100% it - realistic expectations. Sure, some people can get cans of soda for free, but that is not what everyone experiences. Some people can get the butler to bring them cocktails every hour on the hour, but that is not what most people experience. Some people are allowed to have friends and family outside of Haven join them for some meals (at a cost) in the restaurant, but that is not all the time.

My biggest gripe here on CC (and FB is even worse) are the so called experts who proclaim that as a Haven guest you can get xyz as if it's stated in the T&C and an advertised legitimate perk of that cabin class, when it is in fact not. As you said, go in expecting what you are truly owed and promised for your experience, and if you're able to get anything beyond that it will be a bonus. Rather than expecting the same things passenger xyz got on a completely different sailing with a completely different crew - and then being disappointed over something that was never yours to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

This is 100% it - realistic expectations. Sure, some people can get cans of soda for free, but that is not what everyone experiences. Some people can get the butler to bring them cocktails every hour on the hour, but that is not what most people experience. Some people are allowed to have friends and family outside of Haven join them for some meals (at a cost) in the restaurant, but that is not all the time.

My biggest gripe here on CC (and FB is even worse) are the so called experts who proclaim that as a Haven guest you can get xyz as if it's stated in the T&C and an advertised legitimate perk of that cabin class, when it is in fact not. As you said, go in expecting what you are truly owed and promised for your experience, and if you're able to get anything beyond that it will be a bonus. Rather than expecting the same things passenger xyz got on a completely different sailing with a completely different crew - and then being disappointed over something that was never yours to begin with.

@Sailing12Away Thank you.  Would it surprise you to know that my comment was not the first time I have said the same thing.  It seems some exaggerate what is provided, other suggest under promise and hopefully over deliver. If our goal is to have the best cruise possible, simply let your self be surprised, or not. Realistic Expectations change my enjoyment of cruise for the better.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

One thing I have learned is that despite everything folks here have mentioned (some more important than others, i.e. realistic expectations), you must communicate with your butler. I've sailed in the Haven a few times. Each time (except our first) we had long discussions with the butler about what he (they've all been male, thus far) could do for us. And what he couldn't.

If it's possible in your category of suite, I would suggest you discuss your wants and needs with the butler on the first day. Your butler will help you understand how to derive value from their services. Our butler has done things that are obvious (daily snacks, room service, Nespresso fill up). A couple of our butlers have helped us with things that aren't obvious, and weren't obvious until we communicated with them. We've also been surprised by service from our butler that was far above & beyond their every day duties.

These are the type of things I don't mention on Cruise Critic or the socials. The butler made sure to inform me that what they were doing wasn't customary. I knew it was due to our relationship (I don't pre-tip, btw) and the butler knew we would appreciate what he did. That's why communicating is so important. They'll get to know you and help provide service that is exceptional. 

So, yes to much that has been said on this thread, but know that conversations each day with your butler will provide even more value to your experience. Have a blast on your cruise!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, slavetoabunny said:

When was this and are you talking bar drinks?  We've been in a DOS on Escape back in 2018 and first words from butler was he could not bring drinks under drink package to room.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the responses!  You all have been extremely helpful to this new Norwegian passenger.  I will be sure to talk to the butler on the first day and we will go from there.  Again, thank you all.  Happy cruising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dexddd said:

When was this and are you talking bar drinks?  We've been in a DOS on Escape back in 2018 and first words from butler was he could not bring drinks under drink package to room.

This was in March 2020.  Yes, they were mixed drinks.

• Like 1