Upgrade Worth It?

vision14k

On 12/31/2023 at 6:08 PM, George C said:

We paid about 5k for the two of us in grand suite on harmony out of Galveston earlier this month , people pay too much for the newer ships.

We're with ya on that, maybe we're missing out not sailing on the newer ships, but a GS or OS on an older ship seems a better buy to us.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MichaelCMTX said:

We're with ya on that, maybe we're missing out not sailing on the newer ships, but a GS or OS on an older ship seems a better buy to us.

I read MSc is coming to Galveston when they do you need to try there yacht club, really nice suite perks.

34 minutes ago, George C said:

I read MSc is coming to Galveston when they do you need to try there yacht club, really nice suite perks.

The trip after this one gets us to D+ and we plan to look around a little after that-- something about NCL and those go karts.  If we ever did make Pinnacle I think we'd have forgotten what it was we were after by time we got there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichaelCMTX said:

The trip after this one gets us to D+ and we plan to look around a little after that-- something about NCL and those go karts.  If we ever did make Pinnacle I think we'd have forgotten what it was we were after by time we got there.

We are diamond plus , MSc does a match so you will get perks , their yacht club comes with WiFi like rccl suite but they give you the premium liquor package. We have been diamond plus for a while but also will never make pinnacle.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:04 AM, vision14k said:

Talk some sense into me someone…

We paid about 5k for 3 of us (1 child) for an upcoming Wonder cruise (Balcony Cabin)… there is a JS available for an additional $3k…. We are 14 points away from diamond so this would help us reach that this cruise.  Also, our child is two years old so it’s nice having a bathtub   BUT is $3k worth it for this upgrade??!

I'm gonna be the first to answer this differently. 

To me , not a chance ! However , the fact that OP is asking is reason to believe they can afford the extra if they choose to , so why not follow your heart . 

That said , in any case , doing it for the faster climb to Diamond would be silly... Clearly not "WORTH"

that !

Cheers !

I wouldn't pay that much extra to just go to a JS either.  That being said, we are a family of 4 (kids are 16 and 20 now), and we booked a balcony cabin on Wonder OTS for ~$5000. We put in some bids to "Royal Up" and were just awarded a Grand Suite for our bid.  $3k extra (total) was my bid.  We are very happy considering I didn't expect anything was available. Would've cost us at least 12k if we booked it from the start.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edgars said:

I wouldn't pay that much extra to just go to a JS either.  That being said, we are a family of 4 (kids are 16 and 20 now), and we booked a balcony cabin on Wonder OTS for ~$5000. We put in some bids to "Royal Up" and were just awarded a Grand Suite for our bid.  $3k extra (total) was my bid.  We are very happy considering I didn't expect anything was available. Would've cost us at least 12k if we booked it from the start.

Excellent move up , enjoy all your perks and all the extra space.

23 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

I am looking for a quick answer. I’m thinking of bidding on a Grand Suite. Will we receive all the benefits associated with the cabin?

You get all the regular suite perks. It's only if your original booking is a balcony, not a JS or higher, then you dont get the extra 1 loyalty pt for a suite. If you go up by royaling up that is. 

Only the 1 extr pt can vary.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 5:02 PM, sunonfire said:

Thanks for the quick responses. When I went to place my bid it specifically says you get suite perks for the Grand Suite.

Best of luck.  

We made a "token effort" at the RS on our next trip.  I think the only way we win is if nobody else tries, or if they think they can then flip our OS for a tidy profit, but it's always a possibility.  

On 1/1/2024 at 8:52 PM, George C said:

We are diamond plus , MSc does a match so you will get perks , their yacht club comes with WiFi like rccl suite but they give you the premium liquor package. We have been diamond plus for a while but also will never make pinnacle.

I have to say that Mardi Gras trip we took on Celebrity a few years back worked great.  As Diamond we got their Status Match to Elite, PLUS we were in a Sky Suite so the booking came with WiFi, Drinks, prepaid grats and OBC.  

My folks were big on Celebrity and took us on our first cruise back in '09 on the Century, we ended up taking ours on Royal because them porting in Galveston meant no plane ride necessary. Where Celebrity really got a win in my book - at the time we booked the cruise 10-15 nights got you three complimentary nights of Specialty.  Between booking and sailing, Celebrity started Luminae, their "Coastal Kitchen" for suite guests (and I can't say enough about Celebrity's efforts there).  Day we board I get a message to come see the Concierge. She tells me about Luninae but also that since we were getting the 3 nights of specialty at the booking... they're still letting us keep that!!!   

Well I read the fine print on Royal and Celebrity—-they are the same. I guess when I bid twice on Celebrity they showed cabins in all the categories that I bid on. I did mock bookings. So I am assuming my Royal bid was a waste of time. I’ll leave it just in case. Well I almost didn’t bid because we are extremely happy with our booked cabin. Thanks for all the information. This was an eye opener.