Luggage question from NCL newbie

Bkmat

I used to take carry-on only but this time may need a 23kg large luggage. I will use the paper tag only. Will they still take the luggage onto the ship if the tag is missing? I don’t mind going to guest services to take my luggage as long as they take it onto the ship. Otherwise, I would rather drag my luggage onboard, if allowed.

Also, I won’t tip anyone who is simply doing their job. The tipping culture created by the U.S. has gone too far. In the City where I live, people are against tipping now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

I used to take carry-on only but this time may need a 23kg large luggage. I will use the paper tag only. Will they still take the luggage onto the ship if the tag is missing? I don’t mind going to guest services to take my luggage as long as they take it onto the ship. Otherwise, I would rather drag my luggage onboard, if allowed.

Also, I won’t tip anyone who is simply doing their job. The tipping culture created by the U.S. has gone too far. In the City where I live, people are against tipping now.

You do realize that you'll have to drag that 23kg bag with you around the ship until  your cabin is ready?

How do you intend to handle the bag and your lunch from the buffet at the same time?  

How are you planning on compensating those where tips are considered to be part of the job. 

Are  you aware that most surveys of those who work in such jobs prefer compensation based upon gratuities?

Why do you think you can speak for everyone who lives in your city?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You do realize that you'll have to drag that 23kg bag with you around the ship until  your cabin is ready?

How do you intend to handle the bag and your lunch from the buffet at the same time?  

How are you planning on compensating those where tips are considered to be part of the job. 

Are  you aware that most surveys of those who work in such jobs prefer compensation based upon gratuities?

Why do you think you can speak for everyone who lives in your city?

Luggage can be kept under the table so no problem and not blocking anyone, as long as it is allowed. This is just a backup plan for my next cruise, but as long as they take the luggage onto the ship even if the tag is missing, I am fine. My question is whether they will take the luggage onto the ship if the tag is missing.

Compensating those ask for tips is a question for their employer, not me.

Edited by CruisingFun2023

Just now, CruisingFun2023 said:

Luggage can be kept under the table so no problem and not blocking anyone, as long as it is allowed.

Compensating those ask for tipping is a question for their employer.

Do you plan on leaving your luggage under the table while  you surf the buffet?

What are  you going to do with your luggage while waiting for your room?

You are their employer since you are the one who ultimately provides their compensation.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you plan on leaving your luggage under the table while  you surf the buffet?

What are  you going to do with your luggage while waiting for your room?

We do not dine at the buffet. Also, even at the buffet, we are a group so we can go one-by-one, no need to leave all at once. Also, someone mentioned that there may be a place on the ship where you can drop your bags. Not sure if that is avialbale.

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You are their employer since you are the one who ultimately provides their compensation.

Legally and pratically, I am not. Otherwise, why do we need the concept of employer and why do we need employment law?

Edited by CruisingFun2023

1 hour ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

I will use the paper tag only. Will they still take the luggage onto the ship if the tag is missing? I don’t mind going to guest services to take my luggage as long as they take it onto the ship. Otherwise, I would rather drag my luggage onboard, if allowed.

I'm not sure they would allow you to drag a large suitcase onboard since they won't be able to scan it in the security you go through.

If you get there and the tag is already gone, just get a new one from the handlers. If you fold it and staple with a couple of staples or fasten it in another good way it won't get lost between you handing it over untilit's put in the luggage cage.

1 hour ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

No tag, no tip, NO bag

• Like 1

The newer self stick tags that NCL sends out now seem a lot sturdier than the old paper and staple type. Also eliminates the need for plastic sleeves and metal rings. I wonder if this will help with missing tags and lost luggage.

26 minutes ago, hate2shop said:

The newer self stick tags that NCL sends out now seem a lot sturdier than the old paper and staple type

Not everyone gets those...

42 minutes ago, hate2shop said:

The newer self stick tags that NCL sends out now seem a lot sturdier than the old paper and staple type. Also eliminates the need for plastic sleeves and metal rings. I wonder if this will help with missing tags and lost luggage.

I am under the impression that only Haven and non-Haven Suites receive the self stick tags?   

59 minutes ago, hate2shop said:

The amount of lost luggage each cruise is minuscule 

40 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I am under the impression that only Haven and non-Haven Suites receive the self stick tags?   

My kids have a regular balcony and they received them. Names, date, ship already pre-printed on them. 

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

How are you planning on compensating those where tips are considered to be part of the job?

Wow, just wow. Guilt shaming someone who chooses to carry on their bags. Most fair minded people weigh out the plusses and minuses to this and then make a decision. There are a hundred things to consider....how a porter may be compensated is probably number 101. Wise up.

2 hours ago, hate2shop said:

My kids have a regular balcony and they received them. Names, date, ship already pre-printed on them. 

57 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You are mistaken.

Great!   I hope to be receiving them soon for our February cruise on the Encore.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Wow, just wow. Guilt shaming someone who chooses to carry on their bags. Most fair minded people weigh out the plusses and minuses to this and then make a decision. There are a hundred things to consider....how a porter may be compensated is probably number 101. Wise up.

I think it's rude to hand carry 60 pound suit cases for several hours while blocking others access when the porters will handle these bags.  Of course, that would mean tipping the porters which some seem to have an issue with.

Edited by RocketMan275

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

You don't think it's rude to hand carry 60 pound suit cases for several hours while blocking others access?  

I really couldn't care less. If someone wants to schlep around and struggle with a large suitcase and block my way for a minute or two, go for it. I don't know their story. I'd either stand back and laugh under my breath, offer to assist them, or see if I could find an alternate way to get wherever I was trying to go. We carry off and on all the time. Granted, we are well traveled and pack extremely light..... Had luggage lost after a Carnival cruise many years ago. Fortunately, it was at the end of our cruise. It either never made it off the ship or was misidentified by another passenger and claimed by mistake. Carnival took no responsibility for it. So, now we take direct responsibility for getting our luggage on and off the ship. We are unpacked by 130 or so and are enjoying our cruise.

5 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

I really couldn't care less. If someone wants to schlep around and struggle with a large suitcase and block my way for a minute or two, go for it. I don't know their story. I'd either stand back and laugh under my breath, offer to assist them, or see if I could find an alternate way to get wherever I was trying to go. We carry off and on all the time. Granted, we are well traveled and pack extremely light..... Had luggage lost after a Carnival cruise many years ago. Fortunately, it was at the end of our cruise. It either never made it off the ship or was misidentified by another passenger and claimed by mistake. Carnival took no responsibility for it. So, now we take direct responsibility for getting our luggage on and off the ship. We are unpacked by 130 or so and are enjoying our cruise.

To me, it's worth a small tip to the porter not to have to schlep around a 60 pound piece of luggage.  

• Like 1

We’ve carried our luggage on before when we packed really light and got on the ship a bit later.  That’s not to avoid tipping a porter, but to just be able to walk on and straight to our cabin and unpack.The cabins used to be ready about 1:00, but the last two we were on, it was closer to 3 or 3:30.  So now we’ll drop them, even if we’ve packed light.

2 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Great!   I hope to be receiving them soon for our February cruise on the Encore.

I cruise in just over 3 weeks (check in on Saturday!!), no tags in my mailbox as of yesterday.  I'm in an inside, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to who NCL decides to send them to...