Luggage question from NCL newbie

Bkmat

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

I cruise in just over 3 weeks (check in on Saturday!!), no tags in my mailbox as of yesterday.  I'm in an inside, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to who NCL decides to send them to...

We sail in 9 days. CBS

No tags in sight.

Getting ready to print hem on a brand new color printer - and put them in my brand new plastic/metal holders. But not to be attached until just before pier arrival.

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

We sail in 9 days. CBS

No tags in sight.

Getting ready to print hem on a brand new color printer - and put them in my brand new plastic/metal holders. But not to be attached until just before pier arrival.

Snail mail tags show up more like 50 days out. 

Save your color, b/w is fine. 

Have a great cruise! 

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Snail mail tags show up more like 50 days out. 

Save your color, b/w is fine. 

Have a great cruise! 

Thanks, Bird.

I realize that the color is a "formality".

But I purchased a mega tank unit that print thousands of pages per fill up...just a few cents per page in color.

So, I'll splurge on some (I think) purple.   😁

5 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Thanks, Bird.

I realize that the color is a "formality".

But I purchased a mega tank unit that print thousands of pages per fill up...just a few cents per page in color.

So, I'll splurge on some (I think) purple.   😁

Each ship has it's on distinct color.

They're not random.

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Sounded like you were going to print in Purple.

I'm not an artist. Even if I was, I have no idea how you could change the color on a tag.

I will print in whatever color NCL made the tag.

I thought that I read somewhere on these boards that this was the color for the Bliss.

That's why there's a "(I think)" in my original post.   🤔

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

To me, it's worth a small tip to the porter not to have to schlep around a 60 pound piece of luggage.  

SIXTY POUNDS?!?!?! What do you pack? Kitchen sink, fridge, and stove?? Our checked bag weighed 35 pounds and that was for two weeks in Europe and onboard Pr1ma for two people! We had a bookbag that weighed another ten'ish pounds. Let's say we were at 50 pounds between the two. I'm always stunned at those that pack so much...unless it's a family of four we're talking, then I take back my words! Or are you secretly cruising Cunard, not NCL's Haven? 

But, we do throw two bucks (or Euros) to a porter and give them that 35 pound bag. The bookbag holds our bathing suits, headphones, charger, and toiletries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

SIXTY POUNDS?!?!?! What do you pack? Kitchen sink, fridge, and stove?? Our checked bag weighed 35 pounds and that was for two weeks in Europe and onboard Pr1ma for two people! We had a bookbag that weighed another ten'ish pounds. Let's say we were at 50 pounds between the two. I'm always stunned at those that pack so much...unless it's a family of four we're talking, then I take back my words! Or are you secretly cruising Cunard, not NCL's Haven? 

But, we do throw two bucks (or Euros) to a porter and give them that 35 pound bag. The bookbag holds our bathing suits, headphones, charger, and toiletries. 

Not me.  A previous poster spoke of not wanting to check a 23kg bag which would be slightly over 50 pounds.

My philosophy on packing is to put all the things you think you need to pack on the bed along with the cash you'll be taking.  Then put at least half the items back in the closet and get twice as much cash.  Now, you're ready to pack.

I too am amazed at these lists of things that people post of the things they consider essential to a cruise.  I've taken fewer items on a 21 day overseas camping trip with the US Army.  

IMHO, giving the porters a few dollars so I don't have to deal with a 50 pound bag is some of the best money spent on a cruise.  But, then, I don't have a major aversion to tipping those who provide a useful service.

Wife and I each bring a carry-on size suitcase and one backpack for the both of us.  We check the carry-on's and keep our important, can't do with out, stuff in the backpack which we do not check.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not me.  A previous poster spoke of not wanting to check a 23kg bag which would be slightly over 50 pounds.

My philosophy on packing is to put all the things you think you need to pack on the bed along with the cash you'll be taking.  Then put at least half the items back in the closet and get twice as much cash.  Now, you're ready to pack.

I too am amazed at these lists of things that people post of the things they consider essential to a cruise.  I've taken fewer items on a 21 day overseas camping trip with the US Army.  

IMHO, giving the porters a few dollars so I don't have to deal with a 50 pound bag is some of the best money spent on a cruise.  But, then, I don't have a major aversion to tipping those who provide a useful service.

Wife and I each bring a carry-on size suitcase and one backpack for the both of us.  We check the carry-on's and keep our important, can't do with out, stuff in the backpack which we do not check.

And now I'm Oh.My.Goshing. Me....I really need to remember the topic of the thread. Sorry for throwing you in with the uhh wall magnets, shoe organizing, packing cube crowed. Haha

Your style of packing sounds like mine! Throw it all back in the closet haha....I don't have the military experience to back up my less is more mantra. Just a few (or a lot) of nights outside with a backpack where I had to hike many miles between campsites. 

Definitely agree with you about giving a few bucks to the porters! Our bag is easy. If I had multiple bags or heavy bags, it would definitely be more than the two bucks I mentioned above. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

50 pounds for 4 people vs 35 pounds for 2 people. Looks like you are packing more.

Edited by CruisingFun2023

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You don't like packing cubes?

If you have so much stuff that you need packing cubes, you're bringing too much stuff.

It's been my experience that over-packing results from poor decision making.  For example, I asked my ex-wife why she was bringing nine pairs of shoes for a four day trip.  She explained that she couldn't decide which outfits she would wear each day so she had to bring multiple outfits and that meant so many shoes.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you have so much stuff that you need packing cubes, you're bringing too much stuff.

If you don’t need packing cubes you aren’t bringing enough stuff

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

I've never used them before, so I don't know that I do/don't like them in practice. In theory, I have no need for them.

I've got a nice set I bought six years ago.  Only used one time.  Make me an offer.

24 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

20 minutes ago, zqvol said:

If you don’t need packing cubes you aren’t bringing enough stuff

Both of these statements are ridiculous. If you forget something, you'll survive. If you don't use something you brought, you'll survive.

I just take whatever pops in my head while I'm packing. 😎

5 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Both of these statements are ridiculous. If you forget something, you'll survive. If you don't use something you brought, you'll survive.

I just take whatever pops in my head while I'm packing. 😎

Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance

Let's see.  People who have never used packing cubes tell me why I don't want them.  Yeah, that makes sense. 🤣  I love packing cubes.  I have four of them that nicely fill the top half of my full size checked bag (the other half is generally empty except for my slippers and a zip lock or two with laudry bag accessories and first aid stuff).  When I get on the ship, I grab all four at once (they have nice handles) and flop them on the closet floor.  Done!  Other than sticking my toiletry bag in the bathroom, I'm unpacked.  Each morning, I grab them and flop them on the bed.  A few unzips/zips and I have my clothes for the day.  DW can do whatever she wants with the drawers and main body of the closet.

Bottom line: packing cubes are mostly about convenience and organization.  Their main purpose is NOT getting more crap packed into a suitcase.

• Like 3