Troy, Pompeii, Mycenae, Epidaurus - how demanding is "demanding?"

carolinetodd

Thanks Caroline, your details will help others decide if these excursions work for them. Even though we have no mobility issues, I did find the toilets “challenging” all over Greece! And in some places, we paid for the WC adventure! 

8 hours ago, carolinetodd said:

My point was that the excursion ratings are unclear, inconsistent, and/or contradictory.

We've been on "moderate" excursions that were basically bus rides while others were forced marches.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

We've been on "moderate" excursions that were basically bus rides while others were forced marches.

Yes. Six separate destinations in eight hours will be a bus ride.

That's one reason why researching the actual destination / tour in advance makes so much sense.  There's no way that walking a thousand steps up to the Acropolis (High City?) will be anything other than moderately difficult for most people

Our Cuban city tours would be nice walks under normal conditions. Add in upper 80s F temperature, high humidity, bright sunshine and the occasional guide anxious to get to a tourist trap, and it can be a rough excursion.

Pompeii!  The site itself was not too difficult - many streets had raised sides that were smoother to walk on than the cobbled roadways, though there were often fairly high steps up and down . These were too narrow for rolling walkers or wheelchairs, and I didn't see anyone trying to use them.  The walk to the entrance from the bus parking had lots of steps up and down at driveways into the street - no curb ramps at all.  As you go through the site, you gradually gain altitude, and there's a longish series of steps, not high, and with hand rails, and ramps down to the exit.  Overall, I think "demanding" is probably fair, and it would probably have been too much for me without a sturdy husband to steady me on the steps.  On the other hand, it was absolutely stunning, completely amazing, and although I am really tired, it was totally worth the effort.  In contrast, yesterday's excursion to "enchanting Taormina" was quite accessible, only a few ordinary stairs with hand rails to negotiate, but left me pretty cold (but sweaty - the sun was hot for February!)  It's a pretty enough spot, lots of shopping, nothing to grab your heart or mind or imagination.  Tarquinia tomorrow!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carolinetodd said:

Tarquinia tomorrow!

We did this one with Viking  and loved it!  After visiting the Necropolises with the guide, once we got to the town, we did the museum on our own and then wandered aimless around the town -- and stopped in one of the bar/cafes for a warm drink.

Hope you enjoy your morning in Tarquinia as much as we did.

Edited by Peregrina651

Tarquinia was awesome.  I didn't attempt to go down into the tombs - I was tired and sore from Pompeii, and the various steps and ramps down just felt like too much.  The site is interesting, with good descriptions and illustrations on the outside, and the location is stunningly beautiful.  I loved the museum, which does have an elevator.  

"Florence On Your Own" was rather disappointing.  I  asked about the drop-off point so I could plan what I could reasonably see, and was told we'd be dropped off at Piazza Santa Croce.  As it turns out, the bus drops you near the river, and your guide walks you to Piazza Santa Croce, about a 20-25 minute walk.  This put a huge dent in the amount of energy and knee power I had to work with, especially since I needed to save something for the walk back to the bus.  With the long bus ride from Livorno and back, the trip was about 50% travel overhead.  

I think one varying factor that descriptions cannot account for is the weather.  A tour that could be describe as ‘moderate’, could be ‘demanding’ if the tour is conducted in high heat/humidity.  There can be very little shade at some of the historical sites and direct sun can quickly sap one’s energy.  Similarly, as already described, uneven surfaces can be treacherous in the rain.

Catherine

• Like 2

The real dicey part with the Acropolis when we were there last year is doing all those steps during a snow squall!  It made for lovely scenery from the bus as we traveled along that morning. Luckily, we got to visit the Acropolis again during a private tour during a post-extension and had lovely weather.

To add something about Pompeii, my wife was most concerned about it being difficult walking and afterwards thought that it really wasn't as bad as she expected. Uneven - as already described - although we had some rain there which obviously makes it harder. Walking along the (more even) sides rather than right in the middle of the cobblestone street areas - if I recall correctly - was easier also - more like regular sidewalk.

At Mycenae, if you have a chance to walk up the hill towards the top (pretty easy walking actually for the most part), I'd recommend it. Our guide took whomever wanted to do it and we made a big loop around and back down (the hardest part coming down but still very doable). The views were incredible. I got into taking lots of pictures and so the group was pretty far ahead. I debated on continuing on to catch up or just go back down (DW elected not to go) but then was glad I went on the rest of the way. The guide pointed out some fascinating things including a quite entertaining stop at what she referred to as a "creepy back door". This old wooden door creaked on its hinges when opened. She had a great sense of humor and really helped to keep things enjoyable and interesting. Don't miss the chance to experience the Tomb of Agamemnon (was part of our Mycenae tour).

This thread brings back some fantastic memories. Go see ALL of it and enjoy. Do as much as you feel you can do. Viking surely accommodates and adjusts the walks as necessary or provides easier options for those who have more difficulty doing long, harder walks. For us, likely all the places mentioned in this thread are once-in-a-lifetime and so didn't want to pass them up.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1