trip insurance

Tas353

I know I've seen this topic before but can't seem to find it. If using the $25 deposit and not having to pay the balance until 6 months prior to departure- trip mate has to be purchased with 14 days to be covered for pre-existing conditions. It's also not refunded if cruise has to be cancelled for any reason. Before I start searching, do most people use trip mate if they use trip insurance?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tas353 said:

I know I've seen this topic before but can't seem to find it. If using the $25 deposit and not having to pay the balance until 6 months prior to departure- trip mate has to be purchased with 14 days to be covered for pre-existing conditions. It's also not refunded if cruise has to be cancelled for any reason. Before I start searching, do most people use trip mate if they use trip insurance?

Thanks

You just stated the main reasons people who don't use Tripmate don't use them.

We switched to good 3rd party Trip Insurance.  Reasons:  More Flexible, More Reliable, Less Cost.

What's not to like.

Plus I don't like to have all my dollars in one company (Viking) and like to keep the components separate  (you'll pay to have them together):   Airline, Cruise, Insurance.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You just stated the main reasons people who don't use Tripmate don't use them.

We switched to good 3rd party Trip Insurance.  Reasons:  More Flexible, More Reliable, Less Cost.

What's not to like.

Plus I don't like to have all my dollars in one company (Viking) and like to keep the components separate  (you'll pay to have them together):   Airline, Cruise, Insurance.

Think I'll start investigating....thank you!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Tas353 said:

Think I'll start investigating....thank you!

We had previously used Trip Mate but our next cruise isn't scheduled until 2025 so I looked elsewhere. As long as you take a minimum coverage amount within X days of you first deposit, you are covered for pre-existing conditions. Unlike Trip Mate, which insures the entire cost upfront, you can then increase the coverage on your policy when you make your payments for the trip.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We had previously used Trip Mate but our next cruise isn't scheduled until 2025 so I looked elsewhere. As long as you take a minimum coverage amount within X days of you first deposit, you are covered for pre-existing conditions. Unlike Trip Mate, which insures the entire cost upfront, you can then increase the coverage on your policy when you make your payments for the trip.

That's exactly what we do.  Get the minimum insured quickly (usually $500 pp) and then we get that pre-existing waiver, and don't have to pay the rest until final Viking payment in April 2025!  We use Steve Dassios at the TripInsuranceStore.  He's been great for us and had a couple forums on Cruise Critic (one still current).

• Like 1

I'm another one who does not use what Viking offers for insurance. The plan is cheaper because Viking "self insures" the plan, giving future cruise vouchers instead of cash -- and if I have to cancel, I want my money back.

I've heard of the TripInsuranceStore (they are an insurance broker, and represent many insurance companies) and I probably should at least price compare each time we book a cruise but the one time I did, everything was more expensive than what my current company was offering. Still, I really should check each time.  But, I've been using the same company for over 20 years now; I'm comfortable with them -- it helps that they are the same company that my travel agency has a relationship with.

IMHO, at my age and with aging parents, the most important coverage I need is "existing conditions."

• Like 3

16 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Thank you....this is great information

12 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

That's exactly what we do.  Get the minimum insured quickly (usually $500 pp) and then we get that pre-existing waiver, and don't have to pay the rest until final Viking payment in April 2025!  We use Steve Dassios at the TripInsuranceStore.  He's been great for us and had a couple forums on Cruise Critic (one still current).

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps to know from someone that has experience with this.

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'm another one who does not use what Viking offers for insurance. The plan is cheaper because Viking "self insures" the plan, giving future cruise vouchers instead of cash -- and if I have to cancel, I want my money back.

I've heard of the TripInsuranceStore (they are an insurance broker, and represent many insurance companies) and I probably should at least price compare each time we book a cruise but the one time I did, everything was more expensive than what my current company was offering. Still, I really should check each time.  But, I've been using the same company for over 20 years now; I'm comfortable with them -- it helps that they are the same company that my travel agency has a relationship with.

IMHO, at my age and with aging parents, the most important coverage I need is "existing conditions."

Thanks for sharing. Nice that you are working with someone you have experience with. Makes all the difference.

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We have used TripMate previously, and in fact had a very positive interaction with them during a claim on our first land based tour years ago. However, situations have changed and now may be the time for us to follow this advice going forward. 

A pre-existing condition waiver is essential, but what about Cancel for Any Reason coverage? I know Viking only provides vouchers for a cancellation for a non-covered reason, but I would rather get that than nothing. Under these other policies, I would assume you are only reimbursed for a covered reason.

I never wondered about this possibility before since we had TripMate. Does Viking (or even other cruise lines) let you move your payments to a different cruise in the event of a conflict not covered by insurance?

NEVER buy cruise line insurance. Way too many restrictions. So many people using FCCs after the pandemic found out that when they tried to cancel a cruise due a covered cause, that Viking's insurance would only cover MONEY actually spent on the new cruise. FCCs (even though worth $thousands) were not covered. Plus you may not be covered on a pre or post stay if you are not doing a Viking extension. You want wall-to-wall coverage from the minute you leave until you return home.

Here's what to do to get the pre-existing conditions. Put down your $25 deposit and then shop for other insurance (www.insuremytrip.com) and buy the lowest value policy they have. In many cases, you will need to insure at least a $2K trip. But this will cost you a lot less than a full policy. When you make your final payment, call the insurance company and up your coverage to the full cost of the trip. This gets you the pre-existing condition coverage but if you do have to cancel before your final payment, you haven't paid a fortune for the insurance...which is not refundable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

A pre-existing condition waiver is essential, but what about Cancel for Any Reason coverage? I know Viking only provides vouchers for a cancellation for a non-covered reason, but I would rather get that than nothing. Under these other policies, I would assume you are only reimbursed for a covered reason

CFAR was available on our policy for an additional charge. 
One interesting thing I discovered is our policy only covers bankruptcy of the carrier if you are going through a 3rd party, meaning if you don’t use a travel agent, it’s not covered.

• Thanks 1

Just got quotes from Tripinsurance and for a $52K trip it was 20% of the trip cost on one of the quotes.  The lower quotes add ons for CFAR were only a little cheaper.  The cheapest did not offer cancel for any reason.  

• Thanks 1

Viking sold us on their insurance several years ago. Through no fault of ours the flight Viking booked for us was delayed and we missed the ship. Viking was absolutely wonderful taking care of us BUT it took months and months of writing and calling to get our money back. Never use TripMate.

5 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Here's what to do to get the pre-existing conditions. Put down your $25 deposit and then shop for other insurance (www.insuremytrip.com) and buy the lowest value policy they have. In many cases, you will need to insure at least a $2K trip. But this will cost you a lot less than a full policy. When you make your final payment, call the insurance company and up your coverage to the full cost of the trip. This gets you the pre-existing condition coverage but if you do have to cancel before your final payment, you haven't paid a fortune for the insurance...which is not refundable.

And one add-on: Be sure to verify that you can actually use this approach before you buy. Not all underwriters will allow the "stepped" buy-in while still maintaining CFAR or pre-existing coverage. As well, this approach is not available in all geographies around the world.

If you can access it, this is THE way to buy trip insurance. Regretfully, not all of us can. 🍺🥌

29 minutes ago, floinnc said:

Viking sold us on their insurance several years ago. Through no fault of ours the flight Viking booked for us was delayed and we missed the ship. Viking was absolutely wonderful taking care of us BUT it took months and months of writing and calling to get our money back. Never use TripMate.

That's similar to our experience with Viking / TripMate.  It took months, but they eventually paid us for our Cancel For Any Reason coverage, and on the afternoon of the last day specified in the contract. AND used an e-check. If we wanted a real check or a wire, that was about $20 more.

On our most recent cancel, for a 2023 Celebrity cruise with Allianz coverage, we were paid in full within a few weeks of notifying the company, and initiating a claim. No hassle.

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

And one add-on: Be sure to verify that you can actually use this approach before you buy. Not all underwriters will allow the "stepped" buy-in while still maintaining CFAR or pre-existing coverage. As well, this approach is not available in all geographies around the world.

If you can access it, this is THE way to buy trip insurance. Regretfully, not all of us can. 🍺🥌

You are correct. If you want to do this, I know that TravelEx will do it. I have done it with them multiple times without a problem.

5 hours ago, DrKoob said:

You are correct. If you want to do this, I know that TravelEx will do it. I have done it with them multiple times without a problem.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I appear to fall into the "geography" bucket - they don't appear to underwrite in Canada (similar to most US underwriters I have checked).

I have yet to find a Canadian underwriter that will permit the "stepped" approach - on the flip side, if we  buy the full policy amount within 72 hours of booking from a Canadian company, CFAR at 50% is included without extra charge with most underwriters here. With overall coverage costs at about 7% of trip value, that's a big savings compared to most US CFAR policies (mostly seem to be around 20%). 🍺🥌

7 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I have yet to find a Canadian underwriter that will permit the "stepped" approach

@CurlerRob check out Tugo.  I did not realize that they did this until we made our last booking.  The CFAR is an upcharge however.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Messybill said:

@CurlerRob check out Tugo.  I did not realize that they did this until we made our last booking.  The CFAR is an upcharge however.

Thank you. Did your policy allow you to do the "stepping" and still provide the CFAR coverage for the final, larger amount? Others I've contacted do not permit the "stepping" approach to be applied to the CFAR clause, only allowing the "covered reasons" portion to be augmented.

I can buy a minimal cancel/interrupt policy (say for $2K) and upgrade it any time by paying the additional premium, but the underwriters I've queried all limit the CFAR to the original $2K - no upgrade allowed.

If you were able to do this, I'd be curious as to the underwriter that allowed it - as Tugo is essentially a broker as far as I can see. Gracias! 🍺🥌

As it was explained to me, that is how it works.  We paid for a minimum policy which is somewhere around 2K.   When we make the final payment (in this case July 2025), we can choose to increase the coverage to the full trip cost with or without  CFAR (50%).   If we continue the CFAR, there is a significant (if I recall correctly about 20%) increase in the cost of the coverage.  The agent gave me a quotation for each scenario.   We have dealt with them before, and found them to be competitively priced, but have always purchased insurance at the time of the last payment, so in those cases there was no CFAR.

• Thanks 1