Mid-afternoon flight home

We had to choose between a FLL 10am or 3pm (or later) flight home and decided not to rush and worry about the 10am. What would you do with the 4-5 hours of waiting? Just find a comfy spot at the airport and wait it out? I figure we will leisurely leave the ship, though not to the point be the annoying final passengers that the crew is desperate to get off the ship. Beyond that I am open to suggestions. 

1 hour ago, georgiaguy said:

We had to choose between a FLL 10am or 3pm (or later) flight home and decided not to rush and worry about the 10am. What would you do with the 4-5 hours of waiting? Just find a comfy spot at the airport and wait it out? I figure we will leisurely leave the ship, though not to the point be the annoying final passengers that the crew is desperate to get off the ship. Beyond that I am open to suggestions. 

Bring a good book.

Watch videos on your phone.

3 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

Have you thought about trying a same day change or standby?

Some airlines let you do standby for free.

Definitely look at an airport transfer shore excursion. You’ll get to explore the city a little and get delivered to the airport afterwards. Otherwise, I’d probably leisurely get off the ship and go straight to the airport to wait. Maybe look at a day pass to one of the lounges. 

On 1/4/2024 at 10:29 AM, georgiaguy said:

We have the same dilemma with an added twist. Either a 10:45 am nonstop flight or a 1:45 pm with 1 connection, change planes in Nashville then to Chicago Midway.  The wrinkle is the connection in Nashville is very close, 40 minutes between arrival and departure.  That short time period worries us.  Anything late with the first flight and the 40 minutes can be chewed up very easily.

I had thought about trying to get on the 10:45 am nonstop if we get to FLL on time.  We booked this flight with the refund/no change fee options. The other option would be to fly home from Miami on a nonstop at 1:20 pm to MDW but for around $250 more plus the transportation cost from Port Everglades to MIA airport .   We feel confident we have the time to do but I am trying to justify the cost versus peace of mind not dealing with the connection stress.