Simply More Beverage Package Questions

Carnevale

46 minutes ago, Maryann221 said:

This is good to know! Would we do that at guest services onboard?

They usually have a person set up on embarkation day that all they handle are drink package purchases (for those still traveling pre SM) or upgrades. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maccrate said:

Just booked a September 2024 cruise.  Went to Options on the website, and to beverage packages.  Since our Simply More fare includes the lunch/dinner beverage package, I wanted to upgrade to the Prestige package.  On the website, the option for purchasing the beverage package lists only the Prestige package at $69.99/person/day.  There is no option to purchase the upgrade which should only be $30/person/day.  

Anyone else experience this?  Work around? Or, just wait until we board and upgrade at that point?

Thanks.

If you do a search on "Beverage Packages" on this forum, you will several posts that discuss this issue in the recent and distant past.

The bottom line is that if you have SM, you can upgrade while onboard for $30 per day. Those who are on the old cruise-only OLife program, don't have any lunch/dine/wine/beer drink package included and have to pay the full price of the Prestige package

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Just off the Regatta and if you upgrade to the premium beverage package you get a discount on whole bottles off their wine list. (I think it's 20% or maybe 30% off. Definitely a discount included but want to report correctly.

It's 15% according to the flyer from Feb. 2024 on the Preisman blog:

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_24_menus.htm

Edit: And to satisfy my frugal ancestors, if it's the Talisker or Highland Park (sometimes the Oban), they (or similar) are usually on the menu of the 2-for-1 happy hour.

Edited by AMHuntFerry

Hi - only cruised with Oceania a couple of times and trying to work out the pro's & con's for the Premium Beverage Package.

I understand that the Premium Package - as with the included basic package, includes the gratuity charge.

However - the cruise I am booking today states that the rate includes Free Gratuities.

Is that likely to include the gratuity for drinks ordered on 'pay as you go' basis ?  

8 minutes ago, machotspur said:

Hi - only cruised with Oceania a couple of times and trying to work out the pro's & con's for the Premium Beverage Package.

I understand that the Premium Package - as with the included basic package, includes the gratuity charge.

However - the cruise I am booking today states that the rate includes Free Gratuities.

Is that likely to include the gratuity for drinks ordered on 'pay as you go' basis ?  

Pretty sure the answer is no. The free gratuity that you are seeing is for wait staff and room stewards and behind the scenes staff. 

• Thanks 1

@AMHuntFerry (or if someone else knows the answer, please chip in 😁)

Similar question to @machotspur's If one purchases the upgrade to the Prestige drinks package, and decides to take advantage of the 15% discount on bottles of wine, is there a 20% gratuity added ( as there would be if you bought the wine without the package) or is that included as part of the drinks Prestige package 'included' gratuities. Many thanks.

5 hours ago, machotspur said:

I agree with ORV. When I have received "free gratuities" from my TA's consortium, they have shown up as a credit that offsets the cabin-based gratuities. Drinks still had gratuities (note that I've never had a package in the past).

53 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

@AMHuntFerry (or if someone else knows the answer, please chip in 😁)

Similar question to @machotspur's If one purchases the upgrade to the Prestige drinks package, and decides to take advantage of the 15% discount on bottles of wine, is there a 20% gratuity added ( as there would be if you bought the wine without the package) or is that included as part of the drinks Prestige package 'included' gratuities. Many thanks.

I've never had a drink package (last cruise was September before SM kicked in and parties/happy hour are more than enough for us), but based on how O typically works I would bet that gratuities are added to the discounted bottles of wine (added before or after discount? @mauibabes?).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 3:56 PM, pinotlover said:

You have to remember that one beverage server often has a large number of passengers to handle. The true answer depends upon how often they rotate to your table to take orders or refill glasses. Realistically, that may only happen 3-4 times in an evening.

My question is, will there be an increase in the number of “Sommeliers” at meal time?
Those who have been on the house beverage package before know the difficulty, sometimes, in locating someone to bring a drink as the servers can’t do this. Now all guests will have the package and we all know how people love taking advantage of free things.

On 5/4/2024 at 1:57 PM, machotspur said:

the cruise I am booking today states that the rate includes Free Gratuities.

Definitely not. 

You are getting "free gratuities" built into your cruise price, because you are a customer from the UK. It replaces the 18USD, per day, that would previously have been added to your onboard account. It's part of a move by O reacting to a general wish by the European travel agency for more inclusive pricing, as has  been the case for Australian and New Zealand customers for some time. Deffo a move I support. 

Drinks in the bar are outside this deal and attract an additional gratuity (20%?)

8 minutes ago, Robjame said:

My question is, will there be an increase in the number of “Sommeliers” at meal time?
Those who have been on the house beverage package before know the difficulty, sometimes, in locating someone to bring a drink as the servers can’t do this. Now all guests will have the package and we all know how people love taking advantage of free things.

On my recent cruise I didn’t notice any increase in staffing of the wine stewards. What I do believe is, as they get to know the individual drinkers, they increase the size of the pour so to not have to come around as often. Those 4-5 Oz pours became 6-7 Oz ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

On my recent cruise I didn’t notice any increase in staffing of the wine stewards. What I do believe is, as they get to know the individual drinkers, they increase the size of the pour so to not have to come around as often. Those 4-5 Oz pours became 6-7 Oz ones.

Actually I have noticed an increase in the wine servers. As you well know most of them are not Sommeliers, Before SM it seemed impossible to get a second serving, now, in my experience since SM started, there are more servers that are empowered to pour wine. Not sure about other drinks. I've been on Marina and Regatta for 35 days since it started. We've had the SM package on both. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2