Boarding day lunch with Unlimited Dining

We’ve always just gone to Johnny Rockets for lunch on boarding day but wouldn’t mind changing it up. If I book Hooked for lunch and pay the cost today, is the cost refunded once we get on board and our dining package is acknowledged? Was also. Considering hibachi for lunch on boarding day. I know there is small upcharge with the dining package, is the cost to book prior to boarding refunded minus the upcharge? 
thanks! 

Posted (edited)

Something to keep in mind is that not all specialty restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day. I've always been able to walk in without a reservation using my UDP at whichever specialty venue was open for lunch on Day 1.

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Something to keep in mind is that not all specialty restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day. I've always been able to walk in without a reservation using my UDP at whichever specialty venue was open for lunch on Day 1.

Hooked, Chops, Izumi, and Jamie’s are all accepting reservations for lunch on boarding day, on the Royal website. Thanks for responding! 

I'll echo what @livingonthebeach said... I've always been able to just walk up to whatever specialty restaurant was open on boarding day and walk in without a reservation.  I have never seen one so busy on boarding day that that was a problem.  

Sorry I can't answer what would happen if you booked in advance and asked a refund. I wouldn't bother since that's just to much extra effort for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chascougs said:

We’ve always just gone to Johnny Rockets for lunch on boarding day but wouldn’t mind changing it up. If I book Hooked for lunch and pay the cost today, is the cost refunded once we get on board and our dining package is acknowledged? Was also. Considering hibachi for lunch on boarding day. I know there is small upcharge with the dining package, is the cost to book prior to boarding refunded minus the upcharge? 
thanks! 

To answer your question regarding being reimbursed, the answer is "no".  In order to use your UDP you would have to make the reservations once onboard (or have the Concierge make them for you, if you are in a suite).  Have others prepaid and been successful in being reimbursed ?  Probably....but I certainly wouldn't count on it.  That's not the way the program is intended to work.  I have never failed to get reservations on boarding day so it's not really difficult to do.

• Like 2

i don't think you need to make a reservation in advance. Usually only one or two specialty restaurants are open on boarding day, but if you have the UDP then you can walk in and eat for no charge. We usually go to Chops on boarding day...

• Like 1

Don’t make a reservation on day 1 expecting to get a refund when canceling. They very much follow their advanced notice cancellation policy. Embarkation restaurants are rarely full or sold out. Also note, just because a restaurant is available to book on day 1 doesn’t mean it will actually be open. I’ve had restaurants booked for day 1 lunch and they weren’t opened. They just moved us what was opened.

On 1/5/2024 at 11:58 AM, RFerrington said:

To answer your question regarding being reimbursed, the answer is "no".  In order to use your UDP you would have to make the reservations once onboard (or have the Concierge make them for you, if you are in a suite).  Have others prepaid and been successful in being reimbursed ?  Probably....but I certainly wouldn't count on it.  That's not the way the program is intended to work.  I have never failed to get reservations on boarding day so it's not really difficult to do.

I did this trick on my last cruise on Oasis out of Bayonne for the 3 night dining package. But it was only for Izumi and several days into the trip. I think it is only so many days in advance and not sure if it will cover day 1. They did not refund me, but they did apply it towards my on board credit which I knew in advance and was ok with it.

I think Royal if finally catching on that people with UDP or dining packages want to be able to book ahead of time and I heard that option is coming. The current system leads to total disappointment and frustration with the long lines and lack of options on embarkation day. I was the first person at Izumi on the last cruise and it took so long to book 3 nights, you can hear the people behind me seething.

• Like 2