Pinnacle Grill Prime Steaks ????????

Lamb chops at recent Noordam Pinnacle were great. Best ever.  As long as we have cruised HAL (2009) - Pinnacle has always been up and down. Hit or miss. So inconsistency is consistent, not a factor due to anything recent.

Setting is nice and pick and choose carefully and one can come away with a happy special evening.  But it did move from really pedestrian and quite awful, to an over the top from-frou dinner theatrics stage, back to more basics and always up and down depending on ship and nature of dining room staffing.

The steaks surprisingly have never been their strong suit (for a steak restaurant) - used to be "Silver Label" beef (a hotel industry grade) back when they made no claims it was USDA graded anything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

BTW, If I required a perfect meal, I'd starve to death. 

It does not have to be perfect, as meals rarely are, but it should at least look a bit like what was listed in the menu.  If you were happy, good for you... that is all that counts in the end.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 7:13 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

I suggest you email your travel agent and have him contact the Mariner desk to see if they might credit you on board.  Odds are they will.

We've been onboard Rotterdam since Thanksgiving and disembark on Jan 14th. 

We turned 5 star Mariners while on this cruise but won't have recognition til after we complete it. So we're pretty familiar with HAL's food venues.

Entertaining thread. I've always been happy with the meals there, but  miss the Alaskan King crab legs. 🦀 when I'm not shopping, hauling in groceries, and preparing meals that I  hope will be interesting, I  am purely delighted when someone does it for me. I tend to be on the side of lenient in my appraisal of food prepared for me. I  would be a perfect princess.

• Like 2

After several meals in the Westerdam's PG (March-May) we think the only Prime Beef on HAL is in the minds of folks who are living well in the past.  It is not that that the food/steaks in the PG are bad (they are OK) but they are just not up to the standard we would except from a mediocre steak house on land.  We have long thought that our lunches in the PG were more impressive than dinners.

Hank

6 hours ago, albingirl said:

Entertaining thread. I've always been happy with the meals there, but  miss the Alaskan King crab legs. 🦀 when I'm not shopping, hauling in groceries, and preparing meals that I  hope will be interesting, I  am purely delighted when someone does it for me. I tend to be on the side of lenient in my appraisal of food prepared for me. I  would be a perfect princess.

DH almost cries every time he sees a PG menu w/o the crab legs. The candied bacon 🥓 🥓 is awesome but for him still doesn't make up for the lack of his beloved crab legs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

...We have long thought that our lunches in the PG were more impressive than dinners.

We quite enjoy PG lunches. DH has the tenderloin and says it satisfies his beef craving. And the coffee gelato topped brownie is his go-to dessert.

Now, if they'd only put the candied bacon on the lunch menu, we could pass on PG dinners.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:49 PM, acruisingcouple said:

Pinnacle Grill was the worst meal we had on the Rotterdam.  The steak had absolutely no flavour whatsoever.

The Wasabi encrusted beef tenderloin in Tamarind was far better than the tenderloin at PG.

Me too. The steak in the MDR was better. How do you mess up a baked potato?