Pinnacle Grill Prime Steaks ????????

Our one and ony dinner at the Pinnacle was not good at all.

I knew we were in for an interesting evening when the waitress started spouting some nonsense about the beef being juicy because the cows were only fed wet corn instead of dried corn.

As we left, we asked to cancel our reservations later in the week.

The F&B manager found us a day or two later to find out what was wrong, and invited us to be his guest at Rudi's. We've not bothered with specialty dining on HAL since then.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

@POA1 what are the lobster dumplings like? I generally prefer ribeye to tenderloin but the dumplings might entice me to order that. 

The lobster dumplings were quite tasty. I could have easily had a whole plate of them. The lobster sauce was very good as well.

• Like 1

If the ports were shopping stops with beach activity, that's on you, not on HAL. Does that mean you took all HAL tours and that is what they were? I am sure they were described. Does it mean that you went to Caribbean islands with beaches? That's where the ship sailed to. If you just got off the ship and just walked around the port, that's on you. The port is what you make it, not what HAL makes it. Do a private tour. Go sailing or snorkeling. Explore the island on a jeep. 

And most of the ship activities don't have sale pitches. The shows don't. The trivia contests don't. Many of the crafts don't and the contests don't. The photo gallery and art gallery always did. As far as the officers, I think that's pot luck as to each ship. You usually see a few in the bars or walking around and you can usually approach and say a few words. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, POA1 said:

The food, the service, and the overall experience were excellent. I sometimes wonder if we're on the same ship. I'm really torn for our upcoming cruise. I hate to order the same thing again, but it was amazing.

Unless you can get something like it at home, I would say order it again. If I have a favorite item at a restaurant I visit regularly, I'll order it most times. DH used to say "Why are you reading the menu? We both know what you're going to order."

@Ka Honu I didn't think it was a slag (that was a new term for me, too). Just funny, especially since I read right past the original error (and I was an editor!!!)  My favorite example of the need for commas is:

"Let's eat Grandma!"

Let's eat, Grandma!"

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

@POA1 what are the lobster dumplings like? I generally prefer ribeye to tenderloin but the dumplings might entice me to order that. 

You can ask for the dumplings with any steak (or other dish) and they’ll give them to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The most frustrating part of sailing on HAL is the lack of consistency of experiences.

On our most recent cruise on Zaandam we had two great dinners and one great lunch in the pinnacle but the new years day brunch was pretty bad. On past cruises we have had some great and some terrible experiences in the pinnacle on the same cruise. it’s just a roll of the dice! Steak roulette should be the specialty of the house!

20 hours ago, Billthekid said:

the ports were just shopping stops with beach activity

Then don't book with a Carnival owned cruise line and you won't end up at Carnival owned ports like Grand Turk, Amber Cove, or Puerta Maya which are nothing but that and miles from any real city or culture.

3 hours ago, sambamama said:

If the ports were shopping stops with beach activity, that's on you, not on HAL. Does that mean you took all HAL tours and that is what they were? I am sure they were described. Does it mean that you went to Caribbean islands with beaches? That's where the ship sailed to. If you just got off the ship and just walked around the port, that's on you. The port is what you make it, not what HAL makes it. Do a private tour. Go sailing or snorkeling. Explore the island on a jeep. 

And most of the ship activities don't have sale pitches. The shows don't. The trivia contests don't. Many of the crafts don't and the contests don't. The photo gallery and art gallery always did. As far as the officers, I think that's pot luck as to each ship. You usually see a few in the bars or walking around and you can usually approach and say a few words. 

I agree with you about the ports for any cruise, not just the Caribbean. I enjoy doing pre-travel research and have been rewarded by finding interesting "not on the ship tours" places to see. If nothing else, I can just wander in port with my camera and see what I can find.  As for the cruise port malls, I just walk through them and get to the real port. Nobody is forcing me to go into the stores. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

You can ask for the dumplings with any steak (or other dish) and they’ll give them to you. 

Thanks for the tip! Then I may just go all out and  order the Delmonico and ask for dumplings. I’ve never had dry aged steak before. Kind of a bucket list thing for me. This is kind of a once in a lifetime trip for me coming up, might as well add steak. 😂 

• Like 2

We were on the Westerdam in Asia for 28 days (11/25 to 12/23).  Our first meal at the Pinnacle was so bad we actually got up and left.   I ordered the filet and it was tough and had zero taste.  I flagged down the waiter and told him and his response was: "do you want to order something else?".  I replied that I didn't, rather I wanted another filet.  So he took away my plate and came back about 15-20 minutes later and put a dinner plate in front of me with only a piece of meat about half the size of the 8 oz steak.  Nothing else on the plate.  I asked if they had reheated my original steak, but I knew this couldn't be since the new "steak bite" was considerably smaller than the one they removed.  I had only taken two small bites of the first steak.  The response was: "well, this one is about 6 oz and was not your original steak".  I was really surprised by this, but what the heck, I gave it a try.  Of course by this time my sides were completely cold and they didn't bring replacements or even offer to do so.  The steak was marginally better, but by then I was frustrated and my husband had finished his meal.  He suggested we leave and skip dessert and that's what we did.  Since we had the HIA, we had another included meal there so we did go back and it was at least editable, but nothing to write home about.  Shame as it used to be something to look forward to.

9 hours ago, sambamama said:

If the ports were shopping stops with beach activity, that's on you, not on HAL. Does it mean that you went to Caribbean islands with beaches? The port is what you make it, not what HAL makes it. Do a private tour. Go sailing or snorkeling.

On the 12-17-23 NS Caribbean sailing the ports included Private Island, Grand Turk (port built by Carnival for shopping), Samana (Tender and mile walk to town) and the ABC islands with shopping and water activities is the objective.  Nothing historic or cultural exists.  We did a Cultural Exposure excursion which consisted of looking at cactus, goats, donkeys, and trees while driving around the island.  Stopped at a nature park and learned how to plant a cactus fence.  This was the cruise we selected and bad on us.  It appears the future will be privately built ports with a shopping concourse and a swimming pool.

IMHO: Crime in the Caribbean has made these now over-impacted ports problematic for cruise ships.  To cruise the Caribbean today, it is mainly for sand and sun, on-board ship activities, use of  protected shore recreation and shopping sites, or carefully curated shore excursions.

Little is safe or available for DIY tourism in far too many Caribbean ports today. YMMV. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Billthekid said:

On the 12-17-23 NS Caribbean sailing the ports included Private Island, Grand Turk (port built by Carnival for shopping), Samana (Tender and mile walk to town) and the ABC islands with shopping and water activities is the objective.  Nothing historic or cultural exists.  We did a Cultural Exposure excursion which consisted of looking at cactus, goats, donkeys, and trees while driving around the island.  Stopped at a nature park and learned how to plant a cactus fence.  This was the cruise we selected and bad on us.  It appears the future will be privately built ports with a shopping concourse and a swimming pool.

We learned years ago to not expect what DH called "content" on a Caribbean cruise. In one port, our tour took us to a "museum" that consisted of ruins of a fort and one case of old cannon balls and similar "relics." Fortunately, there are ports with good nature preserves, botanical gardens, etc. Willemstad in Curacao has real museums--art museum and a maritime museum. Aruba has an archaeology museum. So there is some "content" to be found, depending on the port. As I said in an earlier post, you have to do some research to find out what's available.

As for the private port like Grand Turk and Amber Cove, you can get out of the "gilded cage" and see more of the island if you want to. 

• Like 1

After reading all the entertaining replies,  I forgot what the OP's original "beef" was about.. lol

We've been onboard Rotterdam since Thanksgiving and disembark on Jan 14th. 

We turned 5 star Mariners while on this cruise but won't have recognition til after we complete it. So we're pretty familiar with HAL's food venues.

Tomorrow will be our 5th visit to Pinnacle on this cruise. My husband is the meat lover and has enjoyed the lamb chops and ribeye, which is what we eat at home. We buy prime always. (I eat the halibut and the lobster)

I agree the filet does not make a memorable experience, but some folks enjoy it.

Sorry the OP was disappointed with his meal. I was disappointed with my lemon drop Martini a few nights ago, but not enough to start a revolution. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

After reading all the entertaining replies,  I forgot what the OP's original "beef" was about.. lol

We've been onboard Rotterdam since Thanksgiving and disembark on Jan 14th. 

We turned 5 star Mariners while on this cruise but won't have recognition til after we complete it. So we're pretty familiar with HAL's food venues.

Tomorrow will be our 5th visit to Pinnacle on this cruise. My husband is the meat lover and has enjoyed the lamb chops and ribeye, which is what we eat at home. We buy prime always. (I eat the halibut and the lobster)

I agree the filet does not make a memorable experience, but some folks enjoy it.

Sorry the OP was disappointed with his meal. I was disappointed with my lemon drop Martini a few nights ago, but not enough to start a revolution. 

I still remember the night I sent my gazpacho soup back to the kitchen -- it was cold!  Yet, somehow the sun still rose the next morning.

• Haha 5

On 1/6/2024 at 10:31 AM, CruiserBruce said:

The "local catch " may not be as local as you think it is. They don't have an inspector on board.

Keep in mind food standards in Europe and some other advanced countries are the same, or better than the US.

Good thing I am actually not into fish at all!  🤣 (Well, except salmon)

I am aware of the differences in food standards and was not making claims or assumptions as to what is or is not better. The issue I raised is if they can refer to something as USDA grade when it doesn't pass through any USDA inspectors.  That would possibly explain why the USDA phrase doesn't appear (as that was one of the original questions earleir in teh thread and partly what I was addressing.)

On 1/7/2024 at 9:44 AM, Real NHDOC said:

This opens up a whole host of possibilities! If you are right, and I hope you are, that means double dumplin's and clothesline bacon are a possibility. Is there a Lipitor cocktail?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Shalandara said:

Good thing I am actually not into fish at all!  🤣 (Well, except salmon)

I am aware of the differences in food standards and was not making claims or assumptions as to what is or is not better. The issue I raised is if they can refer to something as USDA grade when it doesn't pass through any USDA inspectors.  That would possibly explain why the USDA phrase doesn't appear (as that was one of the original questions earleir in teh thread and partly what I was addressing.)

Take the "L." In writing, it says, "Pinnacle Grill is the ultimate steakhouse at sea, where an exceptional menu and impeccable service make for one of finest meals you’ll have. The refined menu features a selection of 28-day wet-aged USDA Prime steaks — each one meticulously selected to guarantee the finest quality — as well as classic steakhouse dishes and innovative recipes from James Beard-award-winning chef and Culinary Council® member, David Burke."

You can probably parse this to compare "features" to "rigidly, absolutely requires," but the minute you do that, you're capilizing the L.😉

Edited by POA1
Line break
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

This opens up a whole host of possibilities! If you are right, and I hope you are, that means double dumplin's and clothesline bacon are a possibility. Is there a Lipitor cocktail?

No calories or cholesterol on a cruise! (Doesn't it say that somewhere in the cruise contract?)

• Haha 4

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT:  Out of curiosity has anybody received a refund, or a credit to their account for a meal at the Pinnacle, or any other specialty restaurant,  that was not satisfactory and was unacceptable?  

I don't think so myself.  But...........

On 1/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, POA1 said:

On the Nieuw Statendam a few weeks ago, we had the tenderloin with lobster ravioli (me) and DW had the dry aged Delmonico. My entrée was the house specialty. DW's carried a $25 supplement. The regular steaks are wet-aged, 28 days. All the steaks are USDA Prime.

We both ordered medium rare steaks and that's exactly what we received. (I guess I'll have to go back to taking a photo of my meat after I cut it. You know, for "proof of cook."🙄)

17027405215887.thumb.jpg.8e508a6a0880039d474347051f8d521b.jpg

The food, the service, and the overall experience were excellent. I sometimes wonder if we're on the same ship. I'm really torn for our upcoming cruise. I hate to order the same thing again, but it was amazing.

17027405214166.thumb.jpg.bae08463443aa3ae2bb927a829d0421e.jpg

I have to agree that the NS Pinnacle Grill was by far the Best I have been to for food quality and service in the past 5 HAL cruises. The worst was the KDam just a few weeks before the NS. It was total night and day difference. I also had the David Burke Special with tenderloin and lobster dumpling. The one thing consistent with Pinnacle Grill and HAL is the inconsistency. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:24 PM, Billthekid said:

We cruised with HAL over 25 trips.  Each time some of the enjoyment has been stripped away, little by little.  On this cruise, for example, The Pinnacle food was terrible, the arrival of Santa was marred by the absence of a verbal exchange with Santa, the Mariners Luncheon was not conducted, wine tasting on the last day, lack of interaction with officers and staff, ship activity limited to sales pitches, and the ports were just shopping stops with beach activity.  After each cruise, I question what I experienced and appreciate input from fellow cruisers.  If they are experiencing the same thing, maybe it is not me after all.  HAL continues to erode the joys of cruising.  To answer your question, We did not enjoy this Holiday Cruise, but we did enjoy all our previous festive Holiday cruises.  

I have cruised 33 times. This holiday cruise on Westerdam was my first on HAL. I enjoyed the cruise, but I found nothing compelling about a return to HAL except the internet was the best ever. Having the Navigator App was also a plus. The entertainment was the worst except for the band in Rolling Stone. The problem there is on 2 nights you will hear all their material that doesn't even include Rolling Stone songs. The Lido was chaotic and food below average. Hamburgers at the Dive In were poor. Fortunately the only bad meal in the dining room was the Lasagna. Excursions also did not meet expectations. For as many sea days as we encountered there should have been duplicate bridge with a bridge director.

10 minutes ago, gtragitt said:

The entertainment was the worst except for the band in Rolling Stone. The problem there is on 2 nights you will hear all their material that doesn't even include Rolling Stone songs.

I think you're confused. The Rolling Stone Rock Room has nothing to do with the band called the Rolling Stones. It's the Rolling Stone magazine.

• Like 5