LIVE from Odyssey 1/6/24 8-night Southern Caribbean

15 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We always request our MDR dining preference at booking time.  We simply ask for a table for just ourselves and never had an issue.  This is true whether it's just DH and me for a table for two, or if we are with our kids for a table for four.

On our last sailing out of San Juan the same thing happened and we were told no tables for two for traditional only MTD so we did not go back. We were seated at with a group of 4 (couple of best friends) friendly but we were the odd men out for sure. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Betsynh said:

Tonight was also our night to see The Book. What a feast for the eyes and senses. After a big dinner and that glass of wine, though, I dozed off during some of the early parts so was a little lost about the theme. Two70 is definitely a cool place to experience, so I’d recommend going, but maybe NOT on a full stomach. 

I didn't fall asleep and still have no idea what the theme of that show was.

• Haha 2

Woke up at the new 7:30am (6:30am EST) and decided to grab early breakfast and attempt to get a Solarium basket chair for two — we know they’re great for napping and we’re still short on sleep. The whole area was still pretty empty so we scored one, dropped our bags for about 15 minutes while we enjoyed a Solarium Bistro breakfast. Chair hogs make us crazy so we ate quickly. It’s 8:45am now, and the whole area is hopping so plan ahead.

I was able to get GF toast with my omelet, but it wasn’t anything special… is it ever?

A2D70E42-981B-4757-824A-E3E384905375.jpeg

• Like 1

Decided to relocate around 10:45am and went back to our secret spot on Deck 5 between the life boats. It was nicely sheltered from the wind and we were the only ones out on the equivalent of a huge balcony. We joked about our quest finding the peaceful quiet spaces in the midst of the chaos of a large ship. It worked! Enjoyed another Windjammer lunch around noon and there were plenty of open tables toward the back. (The food station way in the back has not been opened when we’ve visited.) After that, I purchased a Starbucks Frappuccino and we played a game of cribbage at one of their tables. Again the energy was peaceful as most folks were probably out by the pools. Had a chance to say hello to the Captain as he enjoyed an espresso!

Tonight’s entertainment is a movie in the Royal theater, so we’re lounging in the Crown Lounge enjoying an after-dinner coffee and reading/writing. It’s Big Band music early and a Motown night later… hoping to stay awake! Big shout out to Bogdan, the concierge in the Crown Lounge. He’s been so accommodating bringing me gluten-free treats and set several of us up with a trip on the North Star tomorrow night.

We looked into the Luggage Valet service, but the 11:30am flight time is non negotiable, so our 11:15am time frame precluded us from participating. Instead Guest Services gave us #6 tags for our luggage, so we’ll be called around 7:45am to debark on Sunday. That sounds like plenty of time to get our luggage and get to FLL for our flight. It’s too early to start thinking about leaving! We’re arriving in Aruba tomorrow!

• Like 2

Arrived in Aruba by 8am, parked next to the Scientology vessel… there’s also a Carnival Ship in port. Easily grabbed a cab for a trip to Eagle Beach. We asked for a spot with drinks and restrooms and were dropped at the low-rise section of Eagle Beach at CocoLoco’s. Unfortunately, just as we arrived the two places renting umbrellas and chairs were almost completely sold out (9:45am), so we grabbed the last two chairs and parked them in the shade between some trees. It was a nice spot, although pretty far from the water.

This spot was actually pretty perfect and I screenshot the location so we could potentially come back some day and stay for a while (see below). After a couple of swims and some relaxation, we headed back to the ship as I had a special quest for the afternoon. We opted to pay $15 for a cab each way rather than wait for the bus… it’s a short trip.

Enjoyed a late lunch at Lucy’s Retired Surfer Bar just a couple of blocks from the ship, in honor of a friend/colleague that recently passed away. The food was great and the vibe was off the charts! I can see why Jess and her husband Chris loved it so much. We poked around the little vendor area and a couple of shops.

Back on the ship enjoying some late afternoon pool and hot tub time. The Solarium really is quite lovely, although is often too crowded for our taste. This afternoon is great. If you’re a Verizon customer, consider using Travel Pass for 24-hour internet access. It’s $10 for each of us and we’re here from 8am to 11pm. Better pricing than the ship Wifi package!

0CBEF473-3C0A-4D57-A123-76FFB1C11E78.jpeg

EBB9504F-8CEB-4E24-92CE-5DDFA7FB141D.jpeg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is there a fee for North Star when in port or just when at sea?

The concierge in the Crown Lounge invited to sign up at no cost. Not sure why, but there were a bunch of open slots. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is there a fee for North Star when in port or just when at sea?

North Star is free in port. The charge is on sea days when it extends over the side of the ship. I paid for it on my recent Odyssey cruise and now seeing the videos I wasted my money. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rncruiser said:

North Star is free in port. The charge is on sea days when it extends over the side of the ship. I paid for it on my recent Odyssey cruise and now seeing the videos I wasted my money. 

We got the “basic” experience. There’s also an extended experience but not sure what’s involved. 

Today we’re in Curaçao and picked an excursion to the Nena Sanchez gallery and Cas Abao Beach. The gallery stop was quick but we found some lovely souvenirs and then had 3 hours at the beach arriving right around 10am. It was breathtaking although I wished I brought water shoes as it was a bit rough getting into the water. Once in, it was great. We started the beach visit with a 20-minute couples massage on the beach in a slightly secluded palapa! Highly recommend. We didn’t book ahead since we didn’t know when we’d arrive, but the 10am appointment still hadn’t arrived by 10:25, so they slipped us in. Heaven! 

IMG_9556.jpeg

IMG_9558.jpeg

IMG_9560.jpeg

Edited by Betsynh
Incorrect spelling of beach
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Princess & 4 Princes said:

Loving your review!  Is there any way you could post pictures of your cruise compasses?  We;re on this same sailing in March.

I’m sorry! We’ve tossed them all. Is there something special you want to know about? I could potentially screenshot info from the app. 

Tonight —day 7 — was our second formal night and lobster night! Lucky for me hubby doesn’t like lobster so I got his, too, while he had steak. Lol. The waiters sang happy birthday and presented me with a warm GF chocolate lava cake! Made my whole trip! 

We did get lunch in Cafe Two70 and they have GF buns for almost every sandwich and a dedicated panini maker so it was really good. Wish I’d found that sooner. 

Lots of people dressed up for 70’s night. The trivia was a hoot and then 70’s line dancing. Anyone else remember the Hustle?

IMG_9589.jpeg

IMG_9595.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I didn’t even think about doing North Star at night on Odyssey. We sailed in April so it stayed light out a lot later and we were busy then with other activities, but I’ll make time for an after dark ride the next time we’re on a Quantum class ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perfect match said:

I didn’t even think about doing North Star at night on Odyssey. We sailed in April so it stayed light out a lot later and we were busy then with other activities, but I’ll make time for an after dark ride the next time we’re on a Quantum class ship. 

I’m a big chicken so I’ve only done it when we’re docked! 

• Like 1