Car rental galveston

We are leaving from Galveston for the first time and need to rent a car from the airport. Is there car rental places in Galveston to drop your car off and they take you to the ship. We are flying in the day before. 

Last I heard no car rentals were open on sundays when royal usually leaves. They did allow people to drop off cars and keys but would make me nervous. Car could get hit before they check it in.

There is a trolley I think. $1.50 and people walk who are along the beach. It's very rare to rent a car. Call uber. 

Posted (edited)

We are renting a car and dropping it at La Marque and then Ubering to the port. And will do the reverse on the return. You might want to look into that.

Edited by Seekup

Posted (edited)

I seem to recall the only game in Galveston for car rental was Enterprise, and on our last trip we got EXTREMELY lucky.  It was a repositioning cruise from Galveston to Bayonne.  We were able to do a one-way rental to drive to Galveston, and Enterprise then shuttled us to the port.  You have to get REALLY creative and do your research, one of the quirks was we could rent a Luxury vehicle and they did not charge a drop-off fee (G-town needs Luxury vehicles?) and it was cheaper than renting a SENTRA plus the added drop-off fee.  

Good luck in your planning.

Edited by MichaelCMTX
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 11:11 PM, MichaelCMTX said:

I seem to recall the only game in Galveston for car rental was Enterprise, and on our last trip we got EXTREMELY lucky.  It was a repositioning cruise from Galveston to Bayonne.  We were able to do a one-way rental to drive to Galveston, and Enterprise then shuttled us to the port.  You have to get REALLY creative and do your research, one of the quirks was we could rent a Luxury vehicle and they did not charge a drop-off fee (G-town needs Luxury vehicles?) and it was cheaper than renting a SENTRA plus the added drop-off fee.  

Good luck in your planning.

The drop off fee?

I made a reservation and they added $100 drop off fee.  I canceled 

I made a new reservation for $90 less and there was no drop off fee.

corolla

wonder if I will be charged the drop off fee in Galveston?

IAH-Galveston one day rental

On 1/26/2024 at 6:58 AM, dog said:

The drop off fee?

I made a reservation and they added $100 drop off fee.  I canceled 

I made a new reservation for $90 less and there was no drop off fee.

corolla

wonder if I will be charged the drop off fee in Galveston?

IAH-Galveston one day rental

When we made the reservation the only class that had no drop off fee was a Luxury.  I tried every other category in creation.  I honestly don't know if it was intentional or a paperwork mixup (and if the terms seem too good, ALWAYS get the printout).  

Also, we made that reservation months prior to departure, so it wasn't like the daily inventory was affected by us and whether or not there was a drop-off.  But yep, we picked up a shiny Audi Q3 at DFW Airport and two days later dropped with with Enterprise.  No drop off fee ever billed.  

Edited by MichaelCMTX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:38 PM, MichaelCMTX said:

When we made the reservation the only class that had no drop off fee was a Luxury.  I tried every other category in creation.  I honestly don't know if it was intentional or a paperwork mixup (and if the terms seem too good, ALWAYS get the printout).  

Also, we made that reservation months prior to departure, so it wasn't like the daily inventory was affected by us and whether or not there was a drop-off.  But yep, we picked up a shiny Audi Q3 at DFW Airport and two days later dropped with with Enterprise.  No drop off fee ever billed.  

And keep in mind, as in the original post - when I checked, money for a Sentra with drop off fee = an Audi with no drop off fee

• 1 month later...

Canadian here 🇨🇦 flying into IAH three days before our cruise. I just checked Expedia to get a price for a rental and drop off. They were all around C$700 🙀 Is there a different site I should be checking? We fly in Tuesday, cruise leaves Friday. Although we plan on doing a lot of walking, a car might be nice to explore the island. 

12 hours ago, Blueberry89 said:

Canadian here 🇨🇦 flying into IAH three days before our cruise. I just checked Expedia to get a price for a rental and drop off. They were all around C$700 🙀 Is there a different site I should be checking? We fly in Tuesday, cruise leaves Friday. Although we plan on doing a lot of walking, a car might be nice to explore the island. 

Only Enterprise has a location on the island. Therefore, the price. And just for those reading your post, $700 Canadian is about $516 US. You might investigate using Uber or taxi to get to the island and then get around the island and compare costs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 5:02 PM, Blueberry89 said:

If you are doing a one way rental they will charge extra for that. You could take a shuttle from IAH to Enterprise in Galveston and rent your car there. That's what I did. If you are a Costco member, try Costco Travel dot ca. They usually have the best prices. 

On 2/28/2024 at 8:02 PM, Blueberry89 said:

Costco travel Canada is my to go for all car rentals. I’m from NB. I got a small SUV for 317.00 US for 2 days Thursday and Friday. I pick up at Houston airport and drop off in Galveston at the Entreprise dealership. This will be mid March.

good luck 🍀 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, traceytd said:

Costco travel Canada is my to go for all car rentals. I’m from NB. I got a small SUV for 317.00 US for 2 days Thursday and Friday. I pick up at Houston airport and drop off in Galveston at the Entreprise dealership. This will be mid March.

good luck 🍀 

This works for you because of the days of the week you are renting the car but since Enterprise on the island closes at noon Sat. and is closed all day Sun. and the majority of Galveston cruises come and go on Sat. and Sun., it won't work for the majority.

On 3/15/2024 at 9:19 AM, Texas Tillie said:

This works for you because of the days of the week you are renting the car but since Enterprise on the island closes at noon Sat. and is closed all day Sun. and the majority of Galveston cruises come and go on Sat. and Sun., it won't work for the majority.

This is the type of conundrum that Galveston needs to address if they hope to attract more out of town cruisers to the new ships they are bringing in. 

To attract the wider audience of cruisers flying in supporting services need to be available. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

This is the type of conundrum that Galveston needs to address if they hope to attract more out of town cruisers to the new ships they are bringing in. 

To attract the wider audience of cruisers flying in supporting services need to be available. 

It is an issue, but if the car rental agencies made money in Galveston, I think they would be there.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:19 AM, Texas Tillie said:

I arrived in Galveston two days before my cruise, which left on a Sunday. I rented a car and intended to just drop it off on Sunday, because as you said their website says they are closed on Sundays. But when I arrived at their location their were tons of people there! Dropping off, renting cars and ... they even had a shuttle taking people to the cruise port! I wish I would have known that in advance but I had already pre-booked an Uber. Anyway, if you need to rent or drop off on Sunday I would call them because they were definitely open.

13 minutes ago, PG_traveller said:

I arrived in Galveston two days before my cruise, which left on a Sunday. I rented a car and intended to just drop it off on Sunday, because as you said their website says they are closed on Sundays. But when I arrived at their location their were tons of people there! Dropping off, renting cars and ... they even had a shuttle taking people to the cruise port! I wish I would have known that in advance but I had already pre-booked an Uber. Anyway, if you need to rent or drop off on Sunday I would call them because they were definitely open.

Good to know it is certainly needed.

I wonder why they don’t advertise it - makes no sense?

https://www.enterprise.com/en/car-rental-locations/us/tx/galveston-0618.html?mcid=yext:245709

Website says they are open 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sundays.

I called and confirmed as well.

They have a shuttle that goes every 30 min to port but employee on phone mentioned 

it all depends on staffing and that wait times could be 45+ min.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

https://www.enterprise.com/en/car-rental-locations/us/tx/galveston-0618.html?mcid=yext:245709

They have a shuttle that goes every 30 min to port but employee on phone mentioned 

Sounds like things are beginning to improve which would be good.

Edited by c-leg5

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 6:48 PM, PG_traveller said:

If you are doing a one way rental they will charge extra for that. You could take a shuttle from IAH to Enterprise in Galveston and rent your car there. That's what I did. If you are a Costco member, try Costco Travel dot ca. They usually have the best prices. 

On 3/15/2024 at 6:38 AM, traceytd said:

good luck 🍀 

How was the service at Enterprise? Did they have a shuttle to take you to the port? Long waits?

On 3/22/2024 at 10:21 AM, Colorado Buffalo said:

Our plans....Embarkation- taking Galveston Limo or Galveston Express from IAH to the port.( or any other shuttle recommendations?)  On disembarkation - Reserving a 1-way car rental(Costco Travel Canada) from Enterprise (to go the Space Center and explore Houston) and returning the car to IAH that evening. The google reviews are are mixed for Enterprise... long waits, no cars, no pickup service as advertised? Won't the Enterprise shuttles be dropping off guests who returned rentals at the port and picking up guests for car rentals run constantly all of Sun morning?   How is the service for Enterprise? Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, TeamCan said:

How was the service at Enterprise? Did they have a shuttle to take you to the port? Long waits?

Our plans....Embarkation- taking Galveston Limo or Galveston Express from IAH to the port.( or any other shuttle recommendations?)  On disembarkation - Reserving a 1-way car rental(Costco Travel Canada) from Enterprise (to go the Space Center and explore Houston) and returning the car to IAH that evening. The google reviews are are mixed for Enterprise... long waits, no cars, no pickup service as advertised? Won't the Enterprise shuttles be dropping off guests who returned rentals at the port and picking up guests for car rentals run constantly all of Sun morning?   How is the service for Enterprise? Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

We rented a car in Houston airport. We drove to Galveston and kept the car for 2 days. Our time to return the car was at 18:30 on a Saturday. They were closed but had a lock box for the keys. We actually had a phone call from Enterprise a few days after to ask if everything went well. They were awsome. I will certainly do that again next if and when we go back to Galveston.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, traceytd said:

We rented a car in Houston airport. We drove to Galveston and kept the car for 2 days. Our time to return the car was at 18:30 on a Saturday. They were closed but had a lock box for the keys. We actually had a phone call from Enterprise a few days after to ask if everything went well. They were awsome. I will certainly do that again next if and when we go back to Galveston.

Thanks for sharing your great experience with Enterprise. We're still trying to work out the logistics of getting to/from our cruise... not easy!

2 hours ago, TeamCan said:

Your Embarkation Day plan is fine. I used Galveston Express.

The Disembark Day is tricky. Although Enterprise was open on Sunday, it was a bit of a madhouse. If you are counting on Enterprise to pick you up at the port, better have a backup plan like Uber, which also seemed to be a madhouse. Several people I talked to were waiting (and waiting) for drivers. I just took Galveston Express back to IAH and sucked it up and hung out there all day. My flight was not until 6:15 p.m.

Your cruise line will probably have an excursion that goes to the Space Center and then to the airport. That would probably be the easiest.

12 hours ago, PG_traveller said:

Your Embarkation Day plan is fine. I used Galveston Express.

The Disembark Day is tricky. Although Enterprise was open on Sunday, it was a bit of a madhouse. If you are counting on Enterprise to pick you up at the port, better have a backup plan like Uber, which also seemed to be a madhouse. Several people I talked to were waiting (and waiting) for drivers. I just took Galveston Express back to IAH and sucked it up and hung out there all day. My flight was not until 6:15 p.m.

Your cruise line will probably have an excursion that goes to the Space Center and then to the airport. That would probably be the easiest.

Thank you for your suggestions!  Yes, I'm worried about disembarkation... madhouse with Uber as well as Enterprise.  I've read stories on having a pre-reserved Uber and the drivers cancelled on you opting for a longer, more $$ pickup. So, the Enterprise shuttle does run but has long waits? 

Royal does have an expensive excursion over $200US/pp and it only gives you a few hours at the Space Centre...having a car gives more flexibility. Our flights are the next day, so we were planning to drop off the car back at IAH and stay at an airport hotel for 1 night.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:21 PM, Colorado Buffalo said:

From personal experience, absolutely nothing stopping anyone from dropping your luggage with the porter and then taking the car back to Enterprise.  Makes that shuttle ride a lot less troublesome (and you take up a good deal less space).