Specialty restaurant availability

SVBing

4 minutes ago, SVBing said:

Why does Specialty restaurant availability show none, some 4 weeks out before cruise every day of the cruise?

They only pre sell a portion of the available reservation.  They hold some back for on board bookings.  It is  not unusual to see things sold out 4 weeks before sailing.  Some of the most popular ones book up to quickly.

I booked my January Apex cruise early in December.   All specialty restaurants are stated to have no availability since my booking.   Will see once we are on board. 

11 hours ago, SVBing said:

Why does Specialty restaurant availability show none, some 4 weeks out before cruise every day of the cruise?

They do hold back some days/times for those that have already booked dining packages.  On our cruise, there was a cancellation list being kept at Eden.  That was an option that we used with success.

13 hours ago, SVBing said:

That's the " System "--- as mentioned many times on CC.

No different than an upscale restaurant on land.

You want a reservation--- No problem--- Go to the Specialty restaurant as soon as you board-- Speak to the Maitre'd--- He/She will "teach" you how it works ( $$ )-- Pretty simple.

We bought the 5 night specialty dining package on our 9 night Beyond last October.  It was a nightmare trying to get reservations once onboard.  I finally told them to cancel the whole package and they miraculously came up with availability in all the specialty restaurants.   Originally they said Eden was completely full for the whole cruise and all others had 5 or 5:30 times available. We ended up eating at each restaurant at 8 or 8:30 which is our preferred time.  And Eden was only 1/2 full during our 2 hour meal!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

You want a reservation--- No problem--- Go to the Specialty restaurant as soon as you board-- Speak to the Maitre'd--- He/She will "teach" you how it works ( $$ )-- Pretty simple.

Sorry Pinboy for contradicting your comment re $$ for reservations..... which leaves a poor impression of the 'Celebrity employees'.  We've had this discussion before and I've mentioned that I've first hand seen a hostess absolutely refuse to accept $$s for a table.  I've never had to cross palms to get a Specialty restaurant reservation.  Have you?  or is this what you have 'observed'? or do you THINK this is how?  On the other hand, you seem to revel in the reactions to some of your posts....so I'm ready....😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

We have NEVER slipped anyone money to get a table in specialty dining - and we have been able to get reservations for times when there are openings

• Like 1

Re Posts # 8 & 9:

I understand both of you---No argument -- No disrespect , and hope someday to meet you and many others on a cruise someday.

To be clear-- the " system " ( my words ) was told to me one day by a Maitre'd ,with a wink.

The only time I have tipped a Maitre'd was when there were no reservations available, he asked for our cabin number , and later he called and confirmed that he could accommodate us.

So, I tipped him a few $$ upon arriving for dinner to say " Thanks ".

No big deal----

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Re Posts # 8 & 9:

I understand both of you---No argument -- No disrespect , and hope someday to meet you and many others on a cruise someday.

To be clear-- the " system " ( my words ) was told to me one day by a Maitre'd ,with a wink.

The only time I have tipped a Maitre'd was when there were no reservations available, he asked for our cabin number , and later he called and confirmed that he could accommodate us.

So, I tipped him a few $$ upon arriving for dinner to say " Thanks ".

No big deal----

Very appreciative of you and well done.  After the accommodation.  Before isn't an option to me, but as a thank you....absolutely.  BTW...I was waiting for the slings and arrows...thanks for the restraint......I'm not up to it today. 🙃

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

BTW...I was waiting for the slings and arrows...thanks for the restraint......I'm not up to it today. 🙃

" slings and arrows " ?? Who ? Me ?

Perhaps I wasn't clear in the first place about Specialty Restaurant tipping ?

From what I understand, they now add a tip ( 18% ? ) to Specialty Restaurants--

Guess why ( LOL).

BTW, where is Southern Canada ? Florida in the winter ?

Posted (edited)

ha`

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

" slings and arrows " ?? Who ? Me ?

.   Your rep has preceded you.....  Just had dinner and fortified...so I'm ready ....😀

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

ha`

.   Your rep has preceded you.....  Just had dinner and fortified...so I'm ready ....😀

LOL- “ fortified “— “ ready “  ?

For what ? 
Perhaps it’s time we put “How come I can’t get a reservation in a Specialty Restaurant “ to bed and debate “ What would You do if your Waiter forgot to bring your 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time “?

• Haha 1

People booking a single night in advance, get to book right away. They get their choice of restaurant, time and day, if available. Those that spend a lot more, and book in advance a multi night package at usually a discount, have to wait to get onboard to book. Go figure. In that case, it's best to get onboard and work your way to one of the specialty restaurants, and book asap, for best available selections.   

• Like 1