Live Review-MSC Yacht Club on World Europa 12-19th January 2024 -Mediterranean

ConnieTact

We loved the entertainment in Top Sail Lounge last night and in particular the song choices of Giulia, who seems to have similar taste to my own. She delighted me with a few Paolo Nutini songs and I sang along happily! 😍

IMG_6562.thumb.jpeg.087a6c7339a4502299c2895f277203c8.jpegalso, There were a few songs by Duo Cousins too.

IMG_6538.jpeg

• Like 3

The captain warned us all of 12 metre swells last night and today as the weather turns inclement. To make it more comfortable for us he powered through at a higher speed last night and now we can certainly feel movement but we actually quite like to feel like we’re on a ship! 
We only have the TV screen to show us what it’s like as we are having a lazy morning with breakfast in the room!

IMG_6563.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ConnieTact said:

Personally, I would prefer to drink a medium quality wine with great service, served in style, with the best views, than a pricey option that may, or may not be any better, outside yacht club. 

Exactly, if we sailed expecting excellent wines we would be mostly disappointed, regardless of it being MSC/Celebrity/Regent etc., but sailing to enjoy the ambiance and the service with drinkable wines tends to leave us much happier.

I have a colleague who has invested much time and a lot of money over the years in developing his palate and his deep knowledge of the vineyards... ...he now professes that he cannot drink most wines below $100 a bottle and only really enjoys those at significantly higher price points, I'm not sure that his time and money was well spent 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What’s better than a free pizza delivery service? Three pizzas delivered by accident. Now that’s what MrCT calls ‘a happy accident!’ 😂IMG_6568.thumb.jpeg.23223ed676c40308bf486002cd73a3e1.jpegIMG_6569.thumb.jpeg.f9552caecfa2f83de0aefd8325bfc689.jpeg🍕🍕🍕

Edited by ConnieTact
  • Like 1

We’re going out to give away rubber ducks! I brought 48 this time! Unfortunately, somehow although my son kindly designed some tags for me to go on them, we printed off the ones from our Christmas cruise on Euribia! That time the ducks were Christmas themed. So these will be hidden with no tags, and just for the fun of seeing joy on people’s faces when they discover them!

IMG_6572.jpeg

• Like 3

Enjoying your report! We will be on the Euribia in March and also booked in YC inside. I hope the weather cooperates so we can enjoy some deck time! Also love the ducks! We have one from a prior cruise that is traveling with us in our Jeep! Her name is Francesca (white with Rainbow!)

IMG_6491.jpeg

Edited by mnpurple
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

Enjoying your report! We will be on the Euribia in March and also booked in YC inside. I hope the weather cooperates so we can enjoy some deck time! Also love the ducks! We have one from a prior cruise that is traveling with us in our Jeep! Her name is Francesca (white with Rainbow!)

IMG_6491.jpeg

I love those ducks! We watched as many people walked past ducks hidden in very obvious spots. They just walked past them as maybe assuming they were lost toys! 
so I gave a few out directly to children who renamed from very grateful saying ‘grazie’ and others looking surprised but, parents or them not saying a word! They were being played with though so went down well. 
It’s a first but I may go home with some for another cruise! 😅

Maybe we’ll meet in March and I can add to your collection @mnpurple 

• Like 2

A visit to Raj Polo Tea rooms for a Rose tea that unravelled before my eyes. Included in our package. MrCT had an English MSC tea.

Great service from Shennoy in there- he was attentive and warm.

IMG_6580.jpeg

IMG_6586.jpeg

Next into YC Top Sail lounge for cocktail party with the Captain/Master and all his top crew. Ti start there was a perfidy singers and pianist Olga.
Next the staff were introduced and we clapped as the staff paraded. I was fascinated to realise how many I knew and had positive contacts with. I would say more than half. This is down to a well managed YC. The YC director is Myra and Tiziano the restaurant manger and all the concierge team are wonderful and great at their jobs. 
IMG_6587.thumb.jpeg.c4028ec3edf51d17c40fcdaa5dc43594.jpegIMG_6590.thumb.jpeg.af836b413c57aa1aace084b9a81c3b35.jpegIMG_6594.thumb.jpeg.65391485a7409ff3a514ff88366302eb.jpegIMG_6596.thumb.jpeg.b15452df9721c0477540e3b7357cd4f8.jpeg
Our butler Laksmi and assistant butler Sravankumark are the best we ever had. In our seven times in Yacht club this is the first we have ever been offered our full offerings, including packing and unpacking service. All credit to Laksmi who told me this is her first year. They are doing a sterling job!

Back to the Captains address, every seat was full, and that gave us the opportunity to meet another, very interesting and friendly couple from France. as other YCs have held this event in the morning we have never attended but we were happy this was later and more accessible and enjoyable.

IMG_6598.thumb.jpeg.84d4711200c6a69b1d7032a630698dc8.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

I love those ducks! We watched as many people walked past ducks hidden in very obvious spots. They just walked past them as maybe assuming they were lost toys! 
so I gave a few out directly to children who renamed from very grateful saying ‘grazie’ and others looking surprised but, parents or them not saying a word! They were being played with though so went down well. 
It’s a first but I may go home with some for another cruise! 😅

Maybe we’ll meet in March and I can add to your collection @mnpurple 

Are you booked on Euribia in March? Would be great to meet and compare hair -- mine has purple streaks!  We leave out of Southampton on 3/15. I'm now working on booking trains if you have any advice to offer. We booked a Eurail pass because we will be spending another five weeks in Europe after the cruise.

3 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Are you booked on Euribia in March? Would be great to meet and compare hair -- mine has purple streaks!  We leave out of Southampton on 3/15. I'm now working on booking trains if you have any advice to offer. We booked a Eurail pass because we will be spending another five weeks in Europe after the cruise.

Ah! That would have been good. We were looking at earlier in March though. We have a special feline to look after that week….she lives next door! Our neighbours kindly look after our terrible twosome and we look after their sweet rescue cat. 
IMG_0545.thumb.jpeg.12f42f5a2e368678742e40113d3982f4.jpegafe94a0e-8465-4df8-95cb-f84400c6f57e.thumb.jpeg.f4fa0bd4983e9e2f51aac03bb18c17ed.jpegWe are looking forward to seeing them a little later today. They have been in good hands and we have been receiving daily videos of their antics! 
I’m sorry I don’t know much about the trains apart from our local one from Bristol to Southampton. Southampton Central I’d only 5 minutes taxi to the MSC cruise terminal and there are Ubers and plenty of taxis just outside.

The rail pass sounds like a great idea for your travels. 

Edited by ConnieTact
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last nights dinner was a special order of the pasta dish I enjoyed so much earlier in the week made with less salt too! 
First, I chose fruit and MrCT has spring rolls.

these were paired with a white wine. IMG_6644.thumb.jpeg.4b8d8f7bfdc9a29afc56ebd16a5da04f.jpegIMG_6646.thumb.jpeg.417db9aa69b6193ec2dbe16b9d55a084.jpegIMG_6645.thumb.jpeg.117b4b68c801812a457cfab64141afb0.jpeg

The next course had no less than six staff delivering it and ensuring we were happy including two managers! Whatever will I do when I go home and have to make my own food again?! It’s moments like this that make it easy to book the next cruise! 😜

The pasta was paired with a Chardonnay served in large glass to enhance the taste.

IMG_6647.thumb.jpeg.2c02a38f78125504c756e39b7589d2a6.jpegIMG_6648.thumb.jpeg.fe6ec828165675df338bc7aa13476bb5.jpegLastly, we followed the advice of Paolo, head waiter and tried the filled tulip dish. It was light, creamy and IMG_6650.thumb.jpeg.a9180c32ad06f1ebe552fd929d7c6b7b.jpegIMG_6649.thumb.jpeg.25c23f5d522da5491d6b54e85d5c1498.jpeg.

It was a fabulous last meal in the restaurant. The staff team are all very good and well managed.

• Like 2

Next we popped into Masters of the Sea for a short while and to say goodbye to Elom. 
IMG_4287.thumb.jpeg.c6fac4ffd8867e0ac8682321788c3c11.jpeg

If I could change one thing about the venue it would be for low down chairs and tables in first part of the pub near the singing. Then all the high bar stools and tables in the ‘sports’ side of the bar.

it is hard to sit comfortably and hear the music. 
in other M of the S venues across the fleet, they have this more comfortable design. Hopefully, especially as it would cost nothing, as all chairs are free standing, this could be trialed. 

IMG_6652.thumb.jpeg.7f8f80a53f3a74494e11a370978aecce.jpegOn this particular ship, it is good to have an ‘English/Irish’ type pub onboard as a lot of the offerings onboard has a more continental feel. It is good to have such a diverse range of venues. We certainly didn’t get around to them all as we enjoyed this singer, along with the offering in YC. We wish Elom well as he is just starting his contract on this particular ship having come from another MSC ship. 

• Like 1

We finished our evening listening to the excellent Giulia in the Top Sail lounge and she ended her set with a Paolo Nutini song just for me! 😍 I noticed others enjoyed it too.

Elroy, an excellent, newly embarked bar tender remembered the chocolates I love the most.

IMG_6651.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, this brings us up to date, in a rainy Barcelona, and draws an end to this live report. Thank you for travelling along and for your positive comments.

I recommend this ship but particularly in Yacht Club. It is impeccably run by Myra and he happy, professional team are a credit to her. I was concerned the YC would be too, big but it works just as well as the smaller ones due to the high quality standards upheld throughout the yacht club.

We fly home soon and then I have to uphold magnificent standards of my own to my very own VIPs! 
IMG_5309.thumb.jpeg.50bf955329b4963ccaca3495be3049a4.jpeg

IMG_6653.thumb.jpeg.de559a68ee36f2b58cb84c841bc7a247.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Actually you were helpful, just wanted to clarify if it was Southampton Central station we wanted. I know what station from London. Only thing I am not seeing is the ability to use the Eurail pass for that portion of our trip. I'll keep researching!

I have so enjoyed reading your trip report, thanks for taking the time to do it! I sail World America next year, and have been feeling apprehensive about it due to the size, but after reading your review I feel better. Hopefully it will be just as great as World Europa! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Actually you were helpful, just wanted to clarify if it was Southampton Central station we wanted. I know what station from London. Only thing I am not seeing is the ability to use the Eurail pass for that portion of our trip. I'll keep researching!

I think the answer is yes and you can book tickets for a small fee to ensure you get a seat. I’m not sure if this helps.

https://www.eurail.com/en/plan-your-trip/trip-ideas/top-destinations/great-britain-train

19 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

I have so enjoyed reading your trip report, thanks for taking the time to do it! I sail World America next year, and have been feeling apprehensive about it due to the size, but after reading your review I feel better. Hopefully it will be just as great as World Europa! 

I’m sure it will be of equal enjoyment. Definitely, we enjoyed it more due to the YC experience. Thanks again for encouraging words.

We’re settling in at hime now…..back to the reality of unpacking and some laundry to do! 😅😂 

I always write to customer services with a list of particularly great staff as well as doing the feedback questionnaire. I have just done that. Seems like extra work but if staff benefit than I am happy! They deserve it.