Live Review-MSC Yacht Club on World Europa 12-19th January 2024 -Mediterranean

ConnieTact

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from ConnieTact! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

ConnieTact was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Here goes with another live review of our January cruise around the Med on a new ship to us, MSC World Europa. Following a fabulous New Year’s live review from @Stockjock-this will focus on Yacht Club experience in particular.

We have a couple of MSC excursions booked and I’ll report on those and I’m sure there will be food photos, menus and snaps of the entertainment on offer. We are intrigued to see this large ship and in particular check out the new design with open y shaped stern. Equipped to carry 6762 passengers and 2138 crew, is this ship too extensive to enjoy or an elaborate extravaganza?

Please follow along on our trip and feel free to ask me if you want any information. 

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Equipped to carry 6762 passengers and 2138 crew, is this ship too extensive to enjoy or an elaborate extravaganza?

We look forward to your experiences, as we too share the same concerns as we have always avoided ships of this size and wonder if the YC experience is just too diluted when the size of YC is expanded...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

We look forward to your experiences, as we too share the same concerns as we have always avoided ships of this size and wonder if the YC experience is just too diluted when the size of YC is expanded...

Yes, Mark, I wonder that too! I have had a few people prepare me that it may not be such great service in the YC restaurant as so much bigger but, I’ll certainly report what we find! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the exception of Civitavecchia you're visiting the same ports as our trip in October.  Some of the ports are a gimme for what to do (Pompeii from Naples & Mt Etna from Messina), others not so much, so particularly following for the excursions.  Hope you enjoy the trip!

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, maehara said:

With the exception of Civitavecchia you're visiting the same ports as our trip in October.  Some of the ports are a gimme for what to do (Pompeii from Naples & Mt Etna from Messina), others not so much, so particularly following for the excursions.  Hope you enjoy the trip!

Thank you. We have done the itinerary many times. Last years report covers a great excursion we took Rabat, Mosta & Mdina excursion in Valletta and another to Aix-en-Provence from Marseille both booked with MSC. Both were good!

Edited by ConnieTact
Text size!
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, maehara said:

FWIW, we did Mt. Etna from Messina years back.  I wouldn't consider it a "gimme" in terms of what to do.

We took a long bus ride to near the top (but not at the top).  It was hot down below, but we froze our buns off once we got there.  So I bought a jacket while my teeth chattered.  We walked around for a little bit, stared at some hardened lava, and got back into the bus.  Frankly, I didn't love it.

Edited by Stockjock

6 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

We walked around for a little bit, stared at some hardened lava, and got back into the bus.

To be fair, yours isn't the first experience we've heard of this, and it does give me cause for doubt.

The particular excursion we'd been looking at is the "monster truck / bus" trip up to (near) the top - I hear better things from folks who go up that far - but that does have the disadvantage of being hella expensive. Hmmm.

Hey hope your enjoying your cruise, I have a question in Civitavecchia port, it says it arrives at 7am and departs 7pm, we are booked for March and wanted to take the shuttle from port to Rome and vice versa from MSC excursions, do you know if everyone starts debarkation at 7am, trying to purchase tickets to the Vatican, does anyone know what time we actually arrive at Rome, no one at MSC customer service knows, I appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, kym05 said:

Hey hope your enjoying your cruise, I have a question in Civitavecchia port, it says it arrives at 7am and departs 7pm, we are booked for March and wanted to take the shuttle from port to Rome and vice versa from MSC excursions, do you know if everyone starts debarkation at 7am, trying to purchase tickets to the Vatican, does anyone know what time we actually arrive at Rome, no one at MSC customer service knows, I appreciate it. 

I’ll try and find out when we get onboard. They never tell you the times of the excursion til the last minute when onboard but I’ll try to find out. Whenever we booked excursions with MSC we are only given tickets the day before - I guess so they are accurate with the times- just in case of delays or cancellations. 

Meanwhile, someone else may read this that have been on that excursion into Rome and May remember the times. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

I’ll try and find out when we get onboard. They never tell you the times of the excursion til the last minute when onboard but I’ll try to find out. Whenever we booked excursions with MSC we are only given tickets the day before - I guess so they are accurate with the times- just in case of delays or cancellations. 

Meanwhile, someone else may read this that have been on that excursion into Rome and May remember the times. 

Thank you very much 😃

Checked in online with British Airways. Got these flights with reward points so pleased about that.
Mr CT just finishing his packing. I just finished mine a while ago!

Got house ready for our cat sitters and bought in extra treats for them!
Then we’ll be up nice and early to call an Uber to London Heathrow. We enjoy the ease of door to door service -as can’t be bothered with train changes and the like! 
I’m really looking forward to this break. It’s been icy in U.K. and although the nights are getting lighter, it is very cold. Let’s hope we get some sunshine! 

39 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Then we’ll be up nice and early to call an Uber to London Heathrow.

Have a great flight!

Perfect timing to be heading out of the UK as the already cold weather is set to go even lower over the next week.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:23 PM, kym05 said:

Hello,

this means, the ship reaches the Port at 7am, it lasts about an hour before anyone ís able to leave the ship (anchor the vessel, get permission from port authorities etc.). In the past the excursions starting approx. at 10 am (Bus departure), time to travel to vatican ís 1,5h. So it's about noon when you will arrive Vatican - If No Traffic Jam will Happen 😉

Hello @ConnieTact,

have a nice trip.

We will step up the ship in Genua on 21. Jan.. Also YC, so we're excited to read about your expiriences. It's the first time on MSC World Europa for us. I'm wondering If the service in Restaurant ís as good as we expirienced it in former Cruises with MSC in YC on other vessels. We have also concerns about a YC that ís grown to big

47 minutes ago, Mezqal said:

Hello @ConnieTact,

have a nice trip.

We will step up the ship in Genua on 21. Jan.. Also YC, so we're excited to read about your expiriences. It's the first time on MSC World Europa for us. I'm wondering If the service in Restaurant ís as good as we expirienced it in former Cruises with MSC in YC on other vessels. We have also concerns about a YC that ís grown to big

Aw! We will just miss each other! I’ve been in YC in three shops that are ‘sister’ ships Virtuosa, Grandiosa and Euribia. World Europa looks different, so we are intrigued! Let me know if you need any particular information checking out. Good to have you along! 

• Like 1

We traveled on Meraviglia 2x, Belissima 1x, Grandiosa 6x, Seaview 1x and Divina also once. Virtuosa we've booked twice but Corona won't let us enter the ship twice....

I'm excited If the ship is to big for us, we've seen it already in May 23 in Genua on our 6th Cruise with Grandiosa - the ship ís very impressive!

I'm eager to read your impressions from the ship - í hope you'll have a nice Trip and everything is nice and easy. ☺️

In a very comfortable Uber on the way to airport. Driver is a professional award winning, actor who does this in spare time and it’s been a pleasure speaking with him. Mr CT having a snooze!

IMG_5359.thumb.jpeg.ad27ae642005e59e95df8025158378ed.jpeg

I gave Ziggy & Zumi some new grass as a parting gift! IMG_5358.thumb.jpeg.730029250ed258ec039694d5919e38eb.jpegIMG_5356.thumb.jpeg.1bf877eebf927a38750d1a849262014f.jpeg

• Like 6