Live Review-MSC Yacht Club on World Europa 12-19th January 2024 -Mediterranean

ConnieTact

Last night’s supper was good. We were seated just above the gorgeous swarovski crystal staircase and could see the entertainers and hear them well. 
I didn’t eat my main as it wasn’t cooked well and the veg was cold. All staff could not have been more helpful but I wanted to move onto cheese dish and dessert rather than wait for a replacement. I joked, that I was definitely not going to starve on a cruise ship! The manager took it very seriously though and apologised profusely and was very sincere. 
IMG_6180.thumb.jpeg.87db299127e99172b5dc46ddd3e9437c.jpegIMG_6190.thumb.jpeg.c2917141098ce89e787ce38de022e457.jpeg

The starter was delicious and one of my favourite MSC food offerings. 
IMG_6181.thumb.jpeg.fe3a3a117bba350d3f8944195d3375d9.jpegIMG_6185.thumb.jpeg.064fba244179e00d3119e76d2cbba56c.jpegIMG_6189.thumb.jpeg.2c24288a3beaeaf608d84c99faac1535.jpegWilliam was again, amazing and informative about the wines. He really is making our mealtimes special.

IMG_6188.jpeg

IMG_6192.jpeg

IMG_6197.jpeg

• Like 2

Next we went to see Garry Foley in The Elvis Experience. Wow! Did people really get into it! One woman thought it was Elvis and looked elated and totally taken with the whole thing! Still others were struggling to get an Elvis scarf when invited up to get one. Was I one of those you may well ask! I’ll leave you to guess that one but I certainly don’t have a scarf!
A couple of woman actually ended up fighting over a scarf and a husband and security pulled them apart! One was not a spring chicken but she lept from the stage with the scarf only to be pursued by the other! 😅

I really think this part of the show needs reworking! Even the real Elvis wouldn’t have stood for that! Don’t they know his song “Don’t be Cruel’? 😂

IMG_6275.thumb.jpeg.7ed2296a741bbe35fcd379367e90ce4a.jpeg

‘Elvis’ went around the audience hoping for kisses but nobody was keen when faced with his face dripping with sweat! It was funny to see how often he was refused! ‘Kiss me quick’? No thank you! 🤪
I think he should give out the cards instead of this, as that would work well.

Edited by ConnieTact
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Next breakfast was good in the YC restaurant with excellent service. The views of Malta were fabulous from the front of the ships in the high up restaurant!
IMG_6279.thumb.jpeg.a98b65730699d0ebe452257876714322.jpeg
IMG_6278.thumb.jpeg.5496072e433168ff58e141821cbbff45.jpegI sent my poached eggs back as they were perfectly yoked but not hot. I was cooked a fresh pair and the manager stood next to me to make sure they were hot. Honestly, the care is excellent. I am forgiving of mistakes, we always say, “it’s how mistakes are handled that is important.” YC manages them well, although they are understandably disappointed if they don’t get it right first time.

IMG_6276.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

IMG_6281.jpeg

Edited by ConnieTact
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

William was again, amazing and informative about the wines. He really is making our mealtimes special.

He really does seem to be delivering excellent service for you.

Has he been able to do this within the YC drink limits or have you let him go outside of that to deliver so much choice and the right pairings?

• Like 1

Thank you @ConnieTact for this great live report!

I’ve never cruised myself but I’ve just booked my very first trip on World Europa for this summer. 
Even I  won’t be in YC as during peak season prices are way above my budget, I appreciate a lot your inputs. 

I’m quite disappointed by the wine selection though: except the barbaresco you previously posted, pretty much every wine you were offered it’s pretty standard (or even low) quality: at least here in italy you could easily find those bottle in supermarkets for less than 10€

I guess we will be offered Tavernello down in the steerage 😒

food seems to be quite another issue as I’ve read you sent back quite some dishes. While I can see in YC they will try to fix it as nicely and quickly as possible, again I’m a bit worried about what will be going on on lower decks. 

Again, thanks for bringing us along with you and Mr. CT

2 hours ago, maclover said:

I’m quite disappointed by the wine selection though: except the barbaresco you previously posted, pretty much every wine you were offered it’s pretty standard (or even low) quality: at least here in italy you could easily find those bottle in supermarkets for less than 10€

food seems to be quite another issue as I’ve read you sent back quite some dishes. While I can see in YC they will try to fix it as nicely and quickly as possible, again I’m a bit worried about what will be going on on lower decks…..

Hi @Maclover It’s the same in U.K. we can buy a wine for £10 but pay more than double in a restaurant! I think we must just be satisfied with the pairings and you may not. I agree, the service may not be quite as attentive in the rest of the ship but the wines may be the same-I don’t know. 
I hope you enjoy the cruise as there are certainly a lot of Italians onboard and we are definitely in the minority as U.K. guests. I think’ the age demographic on this ship is younger than we are, so for us, it is particularly good that we have the peace of YC but this may be uncalled for if guests are younger and like to party!

Buon Viaggio! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Loving this review. Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to do it!

Thanks @pirate4me2. We are enjoying it more than we thought having read not so positive reviews on CC. It’s a beautiful ship.

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Has he been able to do this within the YC drink limits or have you let him go outside of that to deliver so much choice and the right pairings?

It has all been included. He has never tried to upsell us. We have been very pleased with the choices. Who would know that the taste of Chardonnay is completely different if served in different shaped glasses?! We certainly didn’t. I always thought I didn’t like it! I feel I’m going home a little more educated. 😃

• Like 2

We didn’t get an excursion today and decided to do our own thing as last time we were here we went on a good MSC trip of three towns in the area. 
I have outlines in photos the 10 minute easy walk to the clif that takes you for €1 up to the centre battlements and area that overlooks the port. First you will get offered lots of tours by taxi or bus. Also there are Twizzy cars and they are fun. Prices start at €45 for two hours. You can only get two in the car and it is quite snug in the back! We tried them in Norway and they certainly are fun.

There is an option to take a taxi into the centre of €10 and these are an easy walk from the port, just turn right and you will see them. Behind them are horse and carriages if this takes your fancy. A little further on there are scooters if you like that mode of transport. We have a lot of them in our home town and they are popular. I’ll let the pictures tell the rest!

IMG_6282.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6286.jpeg

IMG_6292.jpeg

IMG_6293.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

IMG_6295.jpeg

IMG_6297.jpeg

IMG_6299.jpeg

IMG_6300.jpeg

IMG_6301.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6304.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

IMG_6307.jpeg

IMG_6308.jpeg

IMG_6309.jpeg

IMG_6310.jpeg

IMG_6311.jpeg

IMG_6312.jpeg

IMG_6313.jpeg

IMG_6314.jpeg

IMG_6316.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6320.jpeg

IMG_6322.jpeg

IMG_6323.jpeg

• Like 3

Next we looked from the top of the walls down over to the battlements and the cannons. We had a cup,of tea and just before 12 noon we decided to pay the €3 and see the firing of the cannon up close. We loved the tour of the cannons afterwards by a very interesting guide Jean. It was amazing value and we were so glad we did it. Again, I’ll let the pictures talk!

IMG_6341.jpeg

IMG_6344.jpeg

IMG_6347.jpeg

IMG_6349.jpeg

IMG_6351.jpeg

IMG_6352.jpeg

IMG_6358.jpeg

IMG_6359.jpeg

IMG_6361.jpeg

IMG_6363.jpeg

IMG_6365.jpeg

IMG_6367.jpeg

IMG_6371.jpeg

IMG_6375.jpeg

IMG_6383.jpeg

IMG_6384.jpeg

IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_6394.jpeg

IMG_6395.jpeg

IMG_6396.jpeg

IMG_6397.jpeg

IMG_6399.jpeg

IMG_6403.jpeg

IMG_6404.jpeg

IMG_6407.jpeg

IMG_6410.jpeg

IMG_6413.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6419.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, maclover said:

Thank you @ConnieTact for this great live report!

I’ve never cruised myself but I’ve just booked my very first trip on World Europa for this summer. 
Even I  won’t be in YC as during peak season prices are way above my budget, I appreciate a lot your inputs. 

food seems to be quite another issue as I’ve read you sent back quite some dishes. While I can see in YC they will try to fix it as nicely and quickly as possible, again I’m a bit worried about what will be going on on lower decks. 

Again, thanks for bringing us along with you and Mr. CT

Yes the included vins in YC are very low quality. I prefer other vines and buy one or two bottles of them then.

Next we wandered around and stopped in a cafe and ordered water and I used the loo as the ones at the battlement weren’t very pleasant.

We wandered around and looked at shops and stalls and generally soaked in the atmosphere. Malta has a good relaxed feel.

I forgot to put the earlier cafe photos in so they are here too!

IMG_6420.jpeg

IMG_6422.jpeg

IMG_6423.jpeg

IMG_6426.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

IMG_6429.jpeg

• Like 4

More later, but for now I have to get ready to go out. Tonight is Butchers Cut (part of our Diamond perks but not my favourite) and then we have to visit a red phone box on deck 6! I can’t say why as it isn’t ’Easy’ for is to ‘Speak’ about! 🤫🤐IMG_6472.thumb.jpeg.ee8e8db5d939e24528040479e1063c4c.jpegJust to change the subject….isn't it cool how they give you cloth hand wipes in the restrooms in YC? It’s the little things! 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mark_T said:

No, all included and never once has he tried to upsell us on any wine. 
He looks at the menus beforehand and orders in the correct wines. He is vigilant and eminently suitable to the position in Yacht Club and has a thoroughly engaging style.

• Like 1

Afternoon tea- only served once in YC! I was surprised as it was much more regular in Euribia last month. 
We were so full from lunch we only had the loose leaf tea! 
The pianist was not talented and played much too loudly for the occasion. We were surprised. 

IMG_6473.jpeg

IMG_6474.jpeg

IMG_6475.jpeg

IMG_6476.jpeg

IMG_6478.jpeg

IMG_6480.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg

• Like 2

After a rest we went to Butchers Cut with not much appetite as we were full from a late lunch!

we skipped starters and I just wanted a salad with extra egg and a jacket potato as a side. MrCT had steak. Service was excellent from one of our efficient, friendly YC waiters. 
He even suggested a ‘off menu’ Japanese Plum wine with my dessert. 

IMG_6504.jpeg

IMG_6506.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

IMG_6509.jpeg

IMG_6513.jpeg

IMG_6514.jpeg

IMG_6515.jpeg

• Like 2

IMG_6516.thumb.jpeg.4036495680a217d4726f96b233b25794.jpeg

I’m not saying anything! Top secret!

it’s not ‘easy’ to ‘speak’ about this secret bar!

People hung a the phone box on deck 6 wondering how to gain access! IMG_6518.thumb.jpeg.0e2a3d37af988a9d90239a7636a66537.jpegIMG_6520.thumb.jpeg.66d5787cfe4207d07ecd685318246aca.jpegIMG_6523.thumb.jpeg.a162236aba69f8759b70d494bd1325a5.jpeg

Even when I told a member of YC staff - he had not heard of such a thing and he thought I was either fooling him or I’d drank too much! 
Honestly, we (may) have met staff trapped in the 1920s in a space in time- I don’t think- even when their contacts end- that their manager will let them go! 

IMG_4281.thumb.jpeg.971bb88585f0bfe45a2aee9cf0c369aa.jpegI warned him not to check it out- just in case! 

Edited by ConnieTact
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

IMG_6516.thumb.jpeg.4036495680a217d4726f96b233b25794.jpeg

I’m not saying anything! Top secret!

it’s not ‘easy’ to ‘speak’ about this secret bar!

People hung a the phone box on deck 6 wondering how to gain access! IMG_6518.thumb.jpeg.0e2a3d37af988a9d90239a7636a66537.jpegIMG_6520.thumb.jpeg.66d5787cfe4207d07ecd685318246aca.jpegIMG_6523.thumb.jpeg.a162236aba69f8759b70d494bd1325a5.jpeg

Even when I told a member of YC staff - he had not heard of such a thing and he thought I was either fooling him or I’d drank too much! 
Honestly, we (may) have met staff trapped in the 1920s in a space in time- I don’t think- even when their contacts end- that their manager will let them go! 

IMG_4281.thumb.jpeg.971bb88585f0bfe45a2aee9cf0c369aa.jpegI warned him not to check it out- just in case! 

When we visited the Speakeasy a couple of weeks ago, another couple tried to follow us in and our guide basically slammed the door on their faces and locked it, lol.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

When we visited the Speakeasy a couple of weeks ago, another couple tried to follow us in and our guide basically slammed the door on their faces and locked it, lol.

Quite right too! 😅 Speakeasy is not for everyone- only the secret select few!

We had to wait while two other couples investigated the phone box- both without tickets. Another was filming when we went in but our guide was super discrete and nobody else saw them. All clever underground stuff!

(Did it happen?  I just woke up wondering if it was a figment of fantasy fiction or even an hallucination of a clandestine yesteryear!)

Then I found this! 😂 

IMG_6559.thumb.jpeg.4c7a6b59877a9b07e5d1d837f987119b.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

Yes the included vins in YC are very low quality. I prefer other vines and buy one or two bottles of them then.

Personally, I would prefer to drink a medium quality wine with great service, served in style, with the best views, than a pricey option that may, or may not be any better, outside yacht club. 
We can always ask if we want to upgrade but have not felt the need to. Sometimes it’s not about the price tag. 
I enjoy the champagne choice included in the drinks package- so I’m very happy!

IMG_6529.jpeg

• Like 3