LIVE MLK cruise on Freedom to Amber Cove & Grand Turk w/ ninjacat123 and family!!

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Had dinner at MDR and forgot to take pics. Sorry. Our magician buddy came by and entertained us (we want to take him home❣️) and our waitstaff is so great! We went to the 80’s show and the performance was awesome!! Spent some time chilling on our extra-long balcony and now it’s beddy time. See you all tomorrow!😁

I saw the 80s show on the Dream last month... it was awesome! I still don't know how they made those lightsabers!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zaimor said:

I saw the 80s show on the Dream last month... it was awesome! I still don't know how they made those lightsabers!

Hmmm I don’t think we saw lightsabers. Maybe I’m calling the show’s name incorrectly. Pop 80’s? Here we go:

IMG_5043.thumb.jpeg.53fd8acba6f47ebf2c8b0a838bdeb7a9.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Frank12 said:

So what is your opinion on Jack's Shack under the new ownership? Our last time in GT we skipped it because most reviews said it wasn't the same (as good) as it used to be.

We got there around 8:30 and got front row chairs. No waiter service just go up to the bar. Drinks were good and strong. Around noon it was very busy in the bar/food area. We didn’t order food since the lines were long. To get drinks at noon took about 15 minutes. Our bartender Indira had a stiff look on her face most of the time but when I asked her name and told her mine, she totally warmed up. I had a great time at Jack’s Shack because we were early. Does it have the charm of the past? No but I will go back and I’ll be there early.

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

@zaimor I checked it out of the box. Looks good and I got it for $49.95👍😁IMG_5044.thumb.jpeg.27277168ca1fd9ea39d33843f56e9ff4.jpeg

Yay! 

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hmmm I don’t think we saw lightsabers. Maybe I’m calling the show’s name incorrectly. Pop 80’s? Here we go:

Oh I had the wrong one - it was Flick. Not on the Freedom yet. The next time you're on the Magic, Vista, Breeze, or Dream, don't miss it! https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/which-shows-are-on-which-carnival-cruise-line-ship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zaimor said:

Yay! 

Oh I had the wrong one - it was Flick. Not on the Freedom yet. The next time you're on the Magic, Vista, Breeze, or Dream, don't miss it! https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/which-shows-are-on-which-carnival-cruise-line-ship

Gotcha! Flick is a fun, high energy show as well👍 I think we saw it last January on Magic

14 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I was saying to Craig “why would anyone leave this place” like the Jack’s Shack owners? It’s so awesome in GT!

I think it might have been the hurricane and/or covid, meaning no business on Grand Turk for a long time. Anyway, Jack and daughter moved to Canada and took Kraken and Calypso with them. 

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I think it might have been the hurricane and/or covid, meaning no business on Grand Turk for a long time. Anyway, Jack and daughter moved to Canada and took Kraken and Calypso with them. 

Yeah a one-two punch of circumstances. Le sigh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank12 said:

So what is your opinion on Jack's Shack under the new ownership? Our last time in GT we skipped it because most reviews said it wasn't the same (as good) as it used to be.

Frank, I went a couple months ago and although there are a lot of changes, it's still good, but it might take 15 minutes or so to digest the changes.  Some of the changes... 1. The bar has been moved from near the food station to the opposite side and takes up more space.  2. It is now a two-level bar, as they've added high top tables to the area at the top of the steps to the gift shop and the bar itself serves both levels (kinda cool).  3. Others have commented on the price changes for umbrellas and chairs, I don't do either so I don't know about that.  4.  The volleyball court has been moved and is now surrounded by tables in the sand, so forget about playing any real volleyball since the tables go almost to the out-of-bounds line.  The locals who work there now seem really "local", not sure how to state this, just that the locals who worked under Jack's management seemed - I don't know - "gentrified"?  Anyway it's still a great place, food is the same, drinks pretty much the same and the beach is still much better than the beach near the pier and the Carnival madness.  I'm interested to hear what ninjacat says, too.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

So….weirdest thing! They are announcing the most days sailed and they announced my name!  Total mistake! They gave me a plaque anyway🤣🤣🤣IMG_5062.thumb.jpeg.8f58c6aeb953025b291266d72c9088fa.jpeg

Quick - pack that pretty thing 🤴🎖️away before they ask for it back and congrats!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Knights on the Beach said:

Welcome home (well my hometown anyway)! I enjoyed following along on your cruise and I'm sad it's over. Have a safe drive home!

Wish this was our “hometown”🥺oh well, 8 hours from now we will be seeing my mom and the furry beasts 😁

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Frank, I went a couple months ago and although there are a lot of changes, it's still good, but it might take 15 minutes or so to digest the changes.  Some of the changes... 1. The bar has been moved from near the food station to the opposite side and takes up more space.  2. It is now a two-level bar, as they've added high top tables to the area at the top of the steps to the gift shop and the bar itself serves both levels (kinda cool).  3. Others have commented on the price changes for umbrellas and chairs, I don't do either so I don't know about that.  4.  The volleyball court has been moved and is now surrounded by tables in the sand, so forget about playing any real volleyball since the tables go almost to the out-of-bounds line.  The locals who work there now seem really "local", not sure how to state this, just that the locals who worked under Jack's management seemed - I don't know - "gentrified"?  Anyway it's still a great place, food is the same, drinks pretty much the same and the beach is still much better than the beach near the pier and the Carnival madness.  I'm interested to hear what ninjacat says, too.

Thanks Intrepid for the overview 👍beach chairs were $23 each and included the umbrella. We had nice neighbors who chatted with us (first cruise ever on MG!) and when Cat and Sky arrived, they said they were leaving and offered their chairs. Yay!! Thanks Mindy and Mr Mindy 😁

• Like 4