Men's Appropriate Attire

REDSTRIPETYPE

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Both people on the left could take off their jackets and still be acceptable at every venue on the ship.  

...but would quickly put them back on to avoid frostbite?   😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harters said:

I have similar fun. When I did this research for our first O cruise, I got a wide range of opinions from Americans on another forum about what their local country club had as a dress code. In the end, I decided to go with the fairly common British phrase "smart casual". By the by, a local Michelin starred restaurant defines this as " smart but informal but  no sports wear, ripped denim or shorts". The staff are usually the most formally dressed in the room. 

We lived in Dublin for 3 years and all kids of surprises with different meanings - I purchased A Valance -  which in America is something to goes at the top of drapery --- When I opened it, It is what we call a bed skirt or bed ruffle.   Oh well, back to the store and this time I just described what I wanted.

I do read all the dialogue on dress "code"  -  maybe that's the problem - everyone needs a magic decoder ring.    

Personally my standard is I dress the way I would if going to a Nice Restaurant or Resort.   We usually wear a sports jacket and Bow Ties on dressier nights on some cruise lines that have a dressier night.     For normal evenings we don't don the ties but often wear jackets.   Will be sailing on Cunard prior to our first cruise on Oceania so will be bringing Tux with us.     

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

which in America is something to goes at the top of drapery

In the UK, it's mainly the bed thing but also the thing for above curtains. Tricky.  😀

Edited by Harters

Going on the Nautica in polynesia next month then a 2 weeks stay i Mooreea. No space for a jacket. Only bringing my polynesian short sleeve shirts. It is what it is (and they're really nice too :-) )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1