Formal Night Suit Colour

holidaylover10

On 3/14/2024 at 9:17 AM, Solent Richard said:

I'd be more than interested to learn from what source your statement regarding the MOD in the UK discourages the wearing of medals.

I was responding to the question about medals (as opposed to miniatures), and my answer was a paraphrase of the end of this document (section: Wearing of medals):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility

and here for campaign medals

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7dc88040f0b65d8b4e3797/Guidelines_on_military_campaign_medals.pdf

Now actually having looked at your PDF from the "Senior Service" (for which many thanks, and goodness me!) I think it's pretty much aligned, there is guidance how to wear and what to wear, and less about when best to wear. It doesn't say wearing medals when going out to a bingo hall isn't allowed but the tone isn't exactly encouraging.

So back to my other post 122, fortunately one isn't going to be dragged off to MCTC on this issue and I think we are allowed to make adult choices about this rather than being silly about precise rules (e.g. wearing medals by relatives of deceased service personnel).

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2024 at 7:28 AM, Pushpit said:

I was responding to the question about medals (as opposed to miniatures), and my answer was a paraphrase of the end of this document (section: Wearing of medals):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility

and here for campaign medals

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7dc88040f0b65d8b4e3797/Guidelines_on_military_campaign_medals.pdf

Now actually having looked at your PDF from the "Senior Service" (for which many thanks, and goodness me!) I think it's pretty much aligned, there is guidance how to wear and what to wear, and less about when best to wear. It doesn't say wearing medals when going out to a bingo hall isn't allowed but the tone isn't exactly encouraging.

So back to my other post 122, fortunately one isn't going to be dragged off to MCTC on this issue and I think we are allowed to make adult choices about this rather than being silly about precise rules (e.g. wearing medals by relatives of deceased service personnel).

Good morning @Pushpit .

But surely the subject (Miniatures) was clearly indicated at my # 118 as you quoted @vistaman 's # 119 which referred to my photograph - wearing 'Miniatures'.

I find no other reference since that point where medals, as opposed to 'miniatures' was brought up.

Of course, when the occasion suits, usually on Remembrance Day at home...

RemembranceDay2018.thumb.jpg.295d06fded8f9c57ab361b7e3b813a59.jpg

...and when joining my veteran friends at the Cenotaph...

Cenotaph20102.jpg.de753fb1729dea7e609a1ea890e504ab.jpg

....I do wear medals.

Edited by Solent Richard

11 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning @Pushpit .

But surely the subject (Miniatures) was clearly indicated at my # 118 as you quoted @vistaman 's # 119 which referred to my photograph - wearing 'Miniatures'.

I find no other reference since that point where medals, as opposed to 'miniatures' was brought up.

Ah, in which case you perhaps interpreted my comment as directed at your good self, which it was not. 119 said medals, to which I responded, 118 shows miniatures, to which I did not respond. In 122 I said I didn't think it was worth taking too seriously other of course when it is serious. And you look very fine at the Cenotaph, if I may say so. 

12 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Ah, in which case you perhaps interpreted my comment as directed at your good self, which it was not. 119 said medals, to which I responded, 118 shows miniatures, to which I did not respond. In 122 I said I didn't think it was worth taking too seriously other of course when it is serious. And you look very fine at the Cenotaph, if I may say so. 

Thank you. I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

So can I assume, based on the photos in post #118, that a white dinner jacket would not be out of place on an Alaska cruise in late June?  It's after Decoration Day, after all.

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

So can I assume, based on the photos in post #118, that a white dinner jacket would not be out of place on an Alaska cruise in late June?  It's after Decoration Day, after all.

There are several examples shown in videos of dancing from Queens Room on QE in Alaska. I wore one in July 1998 on Sun Princess and certainly wasn't alone. I didn't know of the Mason–Dixon line or Summer Seasons etc until two years ago.

4 hours ago, DCThunder said:

A white DJ sounds like a good fit for Ice White night. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say as a former Royal Australian Navy Officer so I will be using a Cumberbund because that's RAN and RN tradition.   I'm lucky I've got both Black and White Dinner Suits, so I'm covered for Ice White, Roaring 20's, Black & White, Masquerade.   The Red Gold night, I'm good also.

More of a question is what do the ladies wear on these nights if they wish to go formal?

On 3/21/2024 at 9:11 AM, NE John said:

A white DJ sounds like a good fit for Ice White night. 

A White Dinner Jacket is perfect for Ice White.  White Bowtie though not Black 😀

1 hour ago, asdf1245 said:

Have to say as a former Royal Australian Navy Officer so I will be using a Cumberbund because that's RAN and RN tradition.   I'm lucky I've got both Black and White Dinner Suits, so I'm covered for Ice White, Roaring 20's, Black & White, Masquerade.   The Red Gold night, I'm good also.

More of a question is what do the ladies wear on these nights if they wish to go formal?

Ladies.

Although I don't particularly 'conform' to any themes, these are gala nights and as such, ladies go as formal as you like. That doesn't mean ball gowns but it's a chance to bring out the long dresses [not 'maxi' in my case but not ball gown'ish either] and 'go formal'.

Red and gold is OK for me as I have a beautiful r&g jacket to go with a long dress. Black and white's easy too but I don't bother with any of the other themes and I would say the vast majority of ladies ignore them too apart from the odd nod to the 20's with long strands of 'pearls' /feather hair what not etc, all available on Amazon.

Don't go fancy dress, it's not needed. 🙂