Formal Night Suit Colour

holidaylover10

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

This is a cruise line, not a film set.

Love it!

Maggielou362 seems uncertain what an American means by a button-down shirt: "(open-necked business shirt ("button-down" in USA?)",  Actually, I probably should have said "button-down collar," which is a collar in which the points have small buttonholes and button into the front of the shirt.  Very common in the US, either with a tie or open-collar and obviates the need for starch when the shirt is laundered.  Cunard, confusingly, uses the term "button down shirt" to mean any shirt that has buttons in the front going from the waist to the collar, as opposed to a pullover shirt with no buttons at all (t-shirt) or with only two or three in the collar area (polo shirt).

While we're on collars, I stopped wearing wing collars with my tuxedo once I recognized that I was born without the bow-tying gene.  Wing collars leave the hardware of a pre-tied bowtie embarrassingly visible.

Edited by rsquare
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rsquare said:

Wing collars leave the hardware of a pre-tied bowtie embarrassingly visible.

That reminds me. I have one dress shirt, it's quite plain at front but has concealed buttons, which is my preference. It has a collar feature where there is fold over cover for the "hardware".

I picked it up in a sale at Armand Thiery, a French chain similar to what Burtons used to be in UK.

I'll need to visit them and see if they've had them again this year.

IMG_20240114_175017222.thumb.jpg.b5957a4bb6f47b1e3afd23d0b7fddb74.jpg

2022-06-01ZilkhaVarteks_PT_0032collar.JPG.f4c8822fe9977acb5520440bb9109809.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

This is a cruise line, not a film set.

I’m afraid I took the Cunard website’s exhortation that guests should “channel their James Bond alter-ego” a bit too literally . . . apologies for straying off topic.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rsquare said:

There are pre-tied ones where the hardware is under the bow itself. But the clips for adjusting the length aren't hideable even if your tie isn't pre-tied. I've ended up with three different length bowties to adjust to my variable neck :)

11 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

I’m afraid I took the Cunard website’s exhortation that guests should “channel their James Bond alter-ego” a bit too literally . . . apologies for straying off topic.

If anyone fills a DJ out to perfection, It's Mr D Craig -think James Bond meets Queen Elizabeth skit for 2012 Olympics in London.

Unfortunately, there aren't that many Mr D Craig clones around on Cunard, hence my 'it's not a film set'. 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

That’s one of Cunard’s more goofy dress code descriptions!

• Like 2

Well one might point out that one Roger Moore was a model in the late 1940s-early 50s and, as shown here, used for photographs of the brand new CARONIA's public rooms in what was "smart casual" for those days... and still should be, too.....

1-img727.jpg

• Like 3

As far as not wearing socks... it is an option  in that when wearing  evening loafers or driving shoes - it looks ridiculous.. again for those that are fashion aware

its quite nice in warmer climates.

I presume one has a few pairs of shoes & bathes regularly!!!

5 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Roscoe - where are you & your thoughts...?????

keeping well out of it!!!!!

although, I have to say, a recent trip to Milan showed me that a lot of Italian men are sporting

rolled suit trousers past their ankles and shoes without visible socks. (the trick being there is an ankle sock you can wear that doesn't show and therefore....no aroma'd feet)

Mind you only the Italians can wear fashion like this.....anyone else....sorry we don't have the genes to carry it off......

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:39 PM, Austcruiser84 said:

I am ashamed of my country today. It’s truly horrendous. I shall leave the worst for my review in the coming days but I am surprised that the ship’s crew didn’t discreetly speak to some of the offending Australians! 

Yes, I was on the same cruise and I was disappointed to see the standard of dress allowed in the MDR. I’m also hoping it was due to being a 3 day cruise. Thankfully there were many passengers who were dressed very elegantly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

keeping well out of it!!!!!

although, I have to say, a recent trip to Milan showed me that a lot of Italian men are sporting

rolled suit trousers past their ankles and shoes without visible socks. (the trick being there is an ankle sock you can wear that doesn't show and therefore....no aroma'd feet)

Mind you only the Italians can wear fashion like this.....anyone else....sorry we don't have the genes to carry it off......

Good morning Roscoe - OMG - did you go to Pitti Uomo???? If so I am so jealous - yes Only the Italian men can carry such panache....but you too dear have certain genes that take you to several higher levels....your wardrobe is above 99% above the male population of the universe - & I mean not just onboard....

Silk socks are certainly an alternative...and of course little touches add savoir fare - the pocket square bold socks, cufflinks - a scarf.....

Go for it - live it - BE IT!!!

XO

23 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

There are pre-tied ones where the hardware is under the bow itself. But the clips for adjusting the length aren't hideable even if your tie isn't pre-tied. I've ended up with three different length bowties to adjust to my variable neck 🙂

On 1/14/2024 at 4:14 PM, rsquare said:

I was having a look at mine. Some have an adjuster system where there is a small metal T bar that clips into tiny slits on the inner lining of the neck band avoiding any visible hardware.

For the others I think I'll remove the adjusters and sew them to the right size. My neck did drop from 16½ to 15½, as it was when I was young. It won't be varying again.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:56 AM, holidaylover10 said:

Could anyone advise if a blue or dark grey suit is acceptable on formal night? My husband is happy to wear a suit but only owns suits in these colours and doesn't really want to buy a black one unless absolutely necessary.

Perfect!

Could anyone advise if a blue or dark grey suit is acceptable on formal night? My husband is happy to wear a suit but only owns suits in these colours and doesn't really want to buy a black one unless absolutely necessary.

Your husband will be perfectly dressed, not all men are in tuxedos on formal night.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:13 AM, holidaylover10 said:

This is the blue suit I was refering too. My husband wore it at our daughters wedding, I expect it will be deemed to bright.Screenshot_20240113_223245_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3265f0695b663ee359d833a92d61d692.jpg

Please stop worrying, and think about a wonderful cruise you and your  husband are going to have on Cunard.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:02 PM, Austcruiser84 said:

If you are sailing in Australia, a tee shirt, board shorts and rubber flip flops will suffice on gala night. Full review forthcoming! 😱 

If sailing out of anywhere else, do dress up as the rest of the world keeps it classy in my experience. 

Fake news!   Austcruiser 84.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:09 PM, Austcruiser84 said:

I am ashamed of my country today. It’s truly horrendous. I shall leave the worst for my review in the coming days but I am surprised that the ship’s crew didn’t discreetly speak to some of the offending Australians! 

What did you do? send a note to the Hotel Manager or mention it to the Maitre d' if this took place in the dining room.  Being proactive is much better than being reactive!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Fake news!   Austcruiser 84.

Hardly. On my recent 3 night cruise I can with certainty say more than half the passengers were not adhering to the dress code. From tee shirts, shorts and flip flops, to bare feet, to someone who came in a rather shoddy beefeater costume for the red and gold gala night (at least wearing shoes and I suppose coordinated with the colour scheme), the number of inappropriately dressed passengers (mostly the men, women were generally far better dressed) of an evening was palpable. Certainly a stark contrast to what I’m used to with Cunard. I put this down to three connected things: 1. Short cruise, 2. A lot of first time cruisers (sea of red sides cruise cards), and 3. Australians have a more casual approach to dress standards. 

7 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

What did you do? send a note to the Hotel Manager or mention it to the Maitre d' if this took place in the dining room.  Being proactive is much better than being reactive!

Given staff clearly saw them enter that way, they clearly condoned it. I’ve made a note of it in my end of cruise survey as it’s clearly a staffing issue that standards are not being enforced. 

• Like 1

Yes it is. I have worn a dark blue suit on Cunard for years in formal nights.