Formal Night Suit Colour

holidaylover10

On 1/12/2024 at 11:56 PM, holidaylover10 said:

Could anyone advise if a blue or dark grey suit is acceptable on formal night? My husband is happy to wear a suit but only owns suits in these colours and doesn't really want to buy a black one unless absolutely necessary.

Dark Grey or Navy Blue would be within the dress code.

Regards John

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2024 at 8:24 AM, D&N said:

That didn't go down well.

I suggested that for some future two week trip on QM2 we try reducing our clothing to a minimum and try and travel on hand baggage only (just to prove we could do it), while still dressing formally every night.  I'd half the number of suits I took and use the cleaning services as required. Nora would go for mainly blue and brown separates on a mix and match basis.

I'd rather NOT! was the response.

However she did welcome the revelation that for €80 each way we could check another 23kg case. I'm now tasked with planning a future trip where she has specific outfits for breakfast and afternoon tea in addition to what we have had before and plan for 2025. 🤣

Nora might like to look at some of Australian designer Camilla's outfits. I wear Camilla kaftans on formal evenings. They are made from silk georgette and are incredibly light. I have 7 or 8 of them and altogether they take up less space than my husband's dinner jacket. https://au.camilla.com/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Nora might like to look at some of Australian designer Camilla's outfits. I wear Camilla kaftans on formal evenings. They are made from silk georgette and are incredibly light. I have 7 or 8 of them and altogether they take up less space than my husband's dinner jacket. https://au.camilla.com/

I LOVE the Camilla brand and thoroughly agree with you re space in luggage. I have two, mid length, I pack to wear at night with appropriate white evening trousers. I have one which had some punishment with sun screen and is only fit for swim suit cover up. An expensive accident. 😄

edit

I would add though, UK prices are much more expensive than Australian prices.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks. I think Victoria has mentioned Camilla in the past.

I'm sure they are very well made, but they're not really her style, and they are pricey on their French site as well.

And of course she doesn't need any more. That won't stop her buying of course!

Biggest problem is choosing. We think there's about forty evening outfits we would take and fifty daytime, before she starts looking at different options for coordinating skirts and tops.

Some of those certain to go next time are pieces she's had for years and had been on the point of being given away had she not lost weight. But when they went last time they could have been accessorised better than they were and our camera gear and photography skills were lacking. Next time they'll be more sparkly, we'll make sure the right heels are on for photos (dance heels are slightly lower), and we've upgraded to a full frame camera and I'm teaching myself which lenses are best for portraits.

Here's a collage of what might have gone, but it's been overtaken by acquisitions. Some will be relegated to make room for dressier sparklier items.

And we don't have any problem packing that lot, and if we did we'd just pay for another case.

2023-12-16.thumb.jpg.dbe080c6da22bc09dd7aac1632aa3778.jpg

Edited by D&N
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, raffles said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works..my husband would normally wear his kilt outfit on formal nights (1st time Cunard). Thoughts?

Will prob be much admired.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, raffles said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works..my husband would normally wear his kilt outfit on formal nights (1st time Cunard). Thoughts?

That's totally within the dress code, and though I've not seen them on every sailing I've been on, I have seen quite a few kilts over the years, including Irish ones. One gentlemen, a younger MacLeod, wore an informal kilt version on Smart Attire nights, with a Fair Isle jumper on top. I guess it could be a ghillie shirt provided you weren't too close to the a/c. I'm mulling it for a future trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raffles said:

I saw two gentlemen wearing kilts on a formal night with, I assume were their wives chatting to the side a little way away.  Meanwhile a few drinks waitresses seemed to be taking selfies with the gentlemen.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, john watson said:

I saw two gentlemen wearing kilts on a formal night with, I assume were their wives chatting to the side a little way away.  Meanwhile a few drinks waitresses seemed to be taking selfies with the gentlemen.

Regards John

He wears the full outfit (apart from having to use a plastic skean dhu) and does get lots of requests for photos, especially on Asia & Caribbean cruises. We normally sail Celebrity or HA, but this will be first time with Cunard so don't want to get it wrong as we do like to adhere to the dress code. As we have a coach from Edinburgh & sailing from Southampton we have no problem with weight restrictions. The weight of his full kit can take up most of our weight allowance when flying. Looking forward to Queen Anne in July and Queen Victoria in November - we have done all the ports before but any tips for our first time on Cunard?

Posted (edited)

@raffles

QA is an unknown as yet, we don't travel on her until November - But for QV 

Assuming you're in Britannia

Bottled water is very expensive, but room service is free and if like Jane you drink lots then you can always request a jug of iced water for the fridge.

If your waistline can handle it, the pizza/pasta station in the lido is excellent at lunch

Obviously Afternoon Tea is a must at least once in the Queens Room

If you don't fancy any of the items on the Dinner menu, there is an always available list including Sirloin Steak, Chicken, Caesar salad, etc (I've never not found anything I don't fancy)

Check the daily programme, there will be stuff on there you don't realise, until it's too late Fancy a go at fencing classes - it's harder work than you would think ? Watercolours? etc

Fancy a cookie with a Lido tea or coffee? Speak to the waiter on the sandwich station as they generally have a secret stash

Grab a book from the library saves bringing your own assuming you're not a Kindle person

My blog covers QV on our last couple of cruises in 2023  Link Here .... one in PG and one in Britannia - They may give you some ideas

Love the pooch btw  we lost our Westie last year and we miss him still

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, raffles said:

He wears the full outfit (apart from having to use a plastic skean dhu)

Skean dhus - or sgian dubhs :) - are explicitly disallowed. Even a plastic would probably be unwelcome. Even without it, it's a great look.

12 hours ago, raffles said:

He will shine.  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

7 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Skean dhus - or sgian dubhs 🙂 - are explicitly disallowed. Even a plastic would probably be unwelcome. Even without it, it's a great look.

I think some gentlemen get around this rule by just having the handle.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The dress code for men says a DJ/Tux or dark suit.

You will see it makes no mention at all of the colour of the DJ/Tux so feel free to express yourself in a colour of your choice. The only criteria is elegance. 

The other criteria for elegance is learn to tie a bow tie, the pre-tied ones are too perfect and often knot far to small.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

You will see it makes no mention at all of the colour of the DJ/Tux so feel free to express yourself in a colour of your choice. The only criteria is elegance

Some of the tuxes and “formal” wear at the Oscar’s last night would make an interesting scene on any Cunard ship. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The dress code for men says a DJ/Tux or dark suit.

You will see it makes no mention at all of the colour of the DJ/Tux so feel free to express yourself in a colour of your choice. The only criteria is elegance. 

The other criteria for elegance is learn to tie a bow tie, the pre-tied ones are too perfect and often knot far to small.

Couldn't agree more @Windsurfboy  😂😂

CollageofDJColours.thumb.jpg.ffd9acf52508f2a1daf72d0ecafcf3d0.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vistaman said:

are medals still worn ? 

The MOD in the UK kind-of discourages this in a suitably bureaucratic way, we are supposed to get "approval for acceptance and wear", other countries will have different approaches. But if it was a Remembrance Sunday event, or something similar then it's certainly OK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushpit said:

The MOD in the UK kind-of discourages this in a suitably bureaucratic way, we are supposed to get "approval for acceptance and wear", other countries will have different approaches. But if it was a Remembrance Sunday event, or something similar then it's certainly OK.

Miniatures can be worn at any time.

Some ranks may need permissions for medals proper, if it's deemed they might be representing the military.

My wee boy wears his whenever he sees fit without any permissions.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Some ranks may need permissions for medals proper, if it's deemed they might be representing the military.

Yes, it's a bit silly really, I don't take much notice of it, truth be told. I understand the thinking here, that if people started wearing medals when going to the bingo hall (etc) it may devalue the award. It would be better if - like displaying the Union flag - there were specific dates when we should wear medals, beyond Remembrance Day.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 6:49 PM, Pushpit said:

Good morning @Pushpit .

I'd be more than interested to learn from what source your statement regarding the MOD in the UK discourages the wearing of medals.

As a retired naval officer, and one whose duties often embraced ceremonial and dress regulations, I would draw your attention to ...

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/documents/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-44.pdf

...and in particular the wearing of medals with 'civilian dress' on formal occasions.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 10:16 PM, BigMac1953 said:

As do hundreds of guests onboard many cruise ships including P&O, Cunard, Saga and even Celebrity.

Win them and wear them as the old mess deck saying goes. 😉😉

• Like 2