What weather should we expect in the Netherlands in late March?

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Probably chilly and wet. This is Northern Europe after all - we don't generally have good weather that early in the year. 

🤞, not too chilly. And wet is better than too dry as we are doing a river cruise, and if it is too dry, we end up on buses.

Thanks for the reply.

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

🤞, not too chilly. And wet is better than too dry as we are doing a river cruise, and if it is too dry, we end up on buses.

Too wet can put you on buses too, due to spring flooding.

In the Netherlands we have a saying about the weather in March: “Maart roert zijn staart” , which literally translates as March stirs its tail. You should expect anything and everything from sunny and warm to cold and rain or even snow or hail. Sometimes all of the above in 1 single day. 

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

4 hours ago, Harters said:

In the UK, we also have an animal reference to March weather - "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb".

We also have that saying here in the United States. Since our river cruise is at the end of March, I am hoping for the lamb part.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harters said:

In the UK, we also have an animal reference to March weather - "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb".

Although I think I prefer the non-animal saying in the UK about future weather: "Yes, we will be having some."

My husband is from there, and I have experienced a lot of different months around the entire country.  You are going there when it starts to get nicer, so you will have a blast. Just layer up a bit to be prepared for anything.  

It will likely will be cold (45 to higher 50s degrees, colder overnight), a bit windy by the water. The good news is that by end of March the number of sunlight hours jumps up significantly.  

In the US northeast, late March and early April is an anything goes time frame.  It's not THAT much different there.  Usually.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:33 PM, ontheweb said:

We have booked a river cruise there from late March into the very beginning of April. 

Clocks there will go forward 1 hour on or around March 31 which will help with daylight hours, but weatherwise expect  everything and anything and pack accordingly, although you could probably leave swimwear at home.😀

• Thanks 1