Credit Card Luggage coverage

I have been reading the travel coverage provided by my credit card company and the luggage delay/Lost section says coverage begins on the scheduled departure date and ends on the scheduled return date.  If an airline loses, damages or misplaces our luggage on the return trip does the end of coverage date mean it we have no  coverage by the credit card provider?

My interpretation of this would be that you are covered, because if you arrive home and your luggage does not, then it is delayed or lost and you can make your claim.  

My understanding with some credit cards, is that the entire trip must be paid for on the credit card, and then it would be based on dates of the initial and return flight.

As a side note, we booked a flight that was combo points and cash and because we did not pay the full value of the flights on the credit card the card would not cover us.  This may not be the case with every credit card.

2 hours ago, jclinard said:

I had my baggage delayed upon returning home a few years ago.  I read my policy carefully and it was clear they won't pay.  It was delivered about 30 hours afterwards.

Hi jclinard,

The reason Baggage Delay doesn't cover the return flight home is because the traveler's other possessions, including clothes, are at home and there's no need to buy these items while waiting for the baggage to be delivered.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi jclinard,

The reason Baggage Delay doesn't cover the return flight home is because the traveler's other possessions, including clothes, are at home and there's no need to buy these items while waiting for the baggage to be delivered.

Steve Dasseos

@iamtrustworthy

Could you expand on this a little further please.

I understand that "Hey, at least I have some drawers, socks, shoes, pants, shirts, shampoo, etc at home that I can wear."

What about any souvenirs I may have brought back with me that can't be replaced? Some of these items may even be high end.

Or, maybe I'm confusing Baggage Delay with Lost Baggage?

Edited by klfrodo

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

@iamtrustworthy

I understand that "Hey, at least I have some drawers, socks, shoes, pants, shirts, shampoo, etc at home that I can wear."

What about any souvenirs I may have brought back with me that can't be replaced? Some of these items may even be high end.

This depends on if your baggage is "Delayed" or "Lost". 

Delayed on the trip home no coverage.  Lost - never to be returned to you - should have coverage.

This is my understanding.

Too often we misuse the words "delayed" and "lost" luggage.  Everyone does it.  Automatically we say "our luggage was lost on the way to our destination" when in reality it was just delayed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, klfrodo said:

@iamtrustworthy

Hi klfrodo,

Thanks CDN Polar for your explanation.

Baggage Delay coverage is to give you money to buy things you need while waiting for the baggage to be delivered.

> What about any souvenirs I may have brought back with me that can't be replaced? Some of these items may even be high end.

It's best to put these in your carry-on.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

> What about any souvenirs I may have brought back with me that can't be replaced? Some of these items may even be high end.

It's best to put these in your carry-on.

We buy very little when we travel and more often than not we bring back nothing at all.

On the rare occasion that we do buy something - bought a bracelet on this last trip - this of course went in my backpack for carry on.

If we buy clothes, they go in checked luggage, but I think that today, with delayed luggage, lost luggage, and potential theft that can happen while your luggage is behind the scenes, if you have something in your checked luggage that you cannot part with, then find a way to get it in your carryon.