Any recent experience with booking guaranteed inside cabins?

WingerSupreme

My wife and I are trying to decide on our first cruise, and one of the two we're debating between is a 10-day one on the Enchanted Princess, Dec. 20-30. The thing is, the only reason we can afford it is I've got a good deal offer through a TA, and we would only be able to afford it at the "guaranteed inside cabin" level.

Now, I know historically there have been times when people have booked a guaranteed inside cabin and ended up being upgraded to Oceanview or Balcony, but does that still happen with the new bidding system? And on that note, what would I be looking at cost-wise (roughly) if I try to bid on a balcony upgrade from an inside cabin?

Lastly, if I receive a room assignment that I don't like and there are others (in the same category) that are available, can I just email my TA and have them switch it with Princess for me? And sorry, one more thing on that note, if I get assigned a room that is category ID but I see one available that's preferable in IC or IB, does that count as a switch or an "upgrade"? 

Thank you!

Last February while on Enchanted I had a guaranteed interior and was assigned a obstructed balcony on mid ship Emeral Deck.  Thing is - balcony wasn't really obstructed at all.  Sometimes booking a guarantee works out better than if you actually had an assigned cabin.  

• Like 1

Just now, candy4040 said:

Last February while on Enchanted I had a guaranteed interior and was assigned a obstructed balcony on mid ship Emeral Deck.  Thing is - balcony wasn't really obstructed at all.  Sometimes booking a guarantee works out better than if you actually had an assigned cabin.  

In your case, was the ship near capacity? I assume my cruise will be pretty full since it'll be over Christmas, but I'm also counting on a lot of families that will hopefully be looking to grab inside rooms to save money.

It was close to full occupancy, but I think it was in my favor.  They really want to sell every cabin and interior is less costly and easier to get sold at last minute.  I've almost always gotten an upgrade on guarantee.  Might be in same type of cabin and upgraded category.  

• Like 1

If it’s your first cruise, there are many things to consider, especially when it comes to cabin choice.  
As for the bid up process, the answer is no, you won’t be able to move to another cabin in that category if there are any other choices.  So, again, pick your cabin carefully.  They are filling their ships now so there may be no other cabins open to move into if you don’t like your cabin assignment.  
Do you get sea sick?  Forward cabins and on a higher deck are much more likely to have you experiencing the rough waters.  

Are you sensitive to noise when you’re trying to sleep?  Some cabins are right near the tenders, the anchor, above a showroom or theater, under the pool deck over a galley, etc.  
Are you sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke?  Some cabins are right above the outdoor smoking section.  How about food smells?  There are food vents that used near the aft that may not smell so great after awhile.  

All of these would be considerations to take into account.  A well located inside cabin might actually be nicer than a poorly located balcony cabin if any of these issues would have a negative impact on your overall enjoyment.  But one more question, could you live in a closet for 10 days if you get sick and have to be confined to your inside cabin?  My advice is to pay for the most expensive cabin you can afford and not worry about the bidding process.  You can be assigned to the worst cabins on the ship with a guarantee or a bid.  Unless you’d be happy with any and every single cabin in the guarantee cabin category you book or bid on, just don’t do it.  Pick a cabin out yourself!  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

As for the bid up process, the answer is no, you won’t be able to move to another cabin in that category if there are any other choices

Is this 100%? I've read elsewhere that people have been able to change cabins within the same category after they get their assignment. 

1 minute ago, jwattle said:

Also and ID to and IC, IB, etc is considered and upgrade, not a switch 🙂

Thank you, I assumed as much but wasn't sure because they charge the same from IB/IC/ID/IE from what I've seen, but I also know those are often "free upgrade" promotions. 

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

As for the bid up process, the answer is no, you won’t be able to move to another cabin in that category if there are any other choices.

This is a bit awkward in the reading.  A guest can elect to move to another available cabin in their category through PCL or TA, depending on who booked with.

3 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

Is this 100%? I've read elsewhere that people have been able to change cabins within the same category after they get their assignment. 

Yes.  But, when you mention seeing another higher category, you would have to pay an upgrade cost based on current pricing to move to one of those.  You may be offered chance to bid for an upgrade, but those will be to a higher meta-category (not more insides).  You mentioned tight budget, so I presume you wouldn't be bidding.

3 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

You may be able to do that now but they’ve cracked down on that lately.  The categories they used to be able to change it to is not for an ID to an IB but another cabin in ID, if there are any.  
I wouldn’t count on it happening.  This cruise may make your first impression on cruising so, it could be the difference from loving it to not liking it at all.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

Thank you, I assumed as much but wasn't sure because they charge the same from IB/IC/ID/IE from what I've seen, but I also know those are often "free upgrade" promotions. 

Right, PCL will only have that pricing when doing some sort of promo.  Otherwise, there is a SLIGHT price difference as you move up the ladder in letters, with a larger jump to the IA.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

My wife and I are trying to decide on our first cruise, and one of the two we're debating between is a 10-day one on the Enchanted Princess, Dec. 20-30. The thing is, the only reason we can afford it is I've got a good deal offer through a TA, and we would only be able to afford it at the "guaranteed inside cabin" level.

Now, I know historically there have been times when people have booked a guaranteed inside cabin and ended up being upgraded to Oceanview or Balcony, but does that still happen with the new bidding system? And on that note, what would I be looking at cost-wise (roughly) if I try to bid on a balcony upgrade from an inside cabin?

Lastly, if I receive a room assignment that I don't like and there are others (in the same category) that are available, can I just email my TA and have them switch it with Princess for me? And sorry, one more thing on that note, if I get assigned a room that is category ID but I see one available that's preferable in IC or IB, does that count as a switch or an "upgrade"? 

Thank you!

Every cruise is different with bid pricing. 

We've successfully reached out via Live Chat to change our room once assigned. 

If you want to switch from ID to IC or IB, you pay the difference. Just cruised last month, both Guaranteed insides, didn't like either location assigned and used Live Chat to change our cabins.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WingerSupreme said:

@Steelers36 just making sure I have this correct.

If I get assigned an ID cabin and there's another ID cabin available that I like better, I can move with no issue. But, if there's an IC/IB cabin available, I'd have to pay/bid to upgrade. Is that right? 

yes, you pay the difference. We did last month with our sailings. 

• Like 1

Yes,  there are categories,  'I' for interior. and then the sub-categories.. 

I do not see why you couldn't do a switch to another available cabin of the EXACT same category and subcategory that shows available.

But, the reality might be that very few, or none at all, will show as available.

It really is a roll of the dice.

If you have never cruised and would be just so excited to be on this Christmas Cruise, I would encourage you to go for it !!!

But, know that these holiday cruises are usually at full capacity.

So, you could be in that interior cabin that the system assigns.  With no options.

I think that is a great itinerary, especially if you have not been to these places before.

I would love to be on that itinerary, and take an excursion from Tortola over to Jost Van Dyke.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

Thank you!

Be careful here.  If you have selected the entry level GTY option, the required deposit is non-refundable.  For a sample 10-night voyage to Caribbean next Winter, I noticed it is only $49/pp extra to book an Inside where you choose the location.  You can also do these as GTY.  I would recommend that you book with a Refundable deposit in case plans change because you get money back right up to Final Payment (FP) Date.

ETA:  Yes, it is the same $49/pp for your voyage.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You may be able to do that now but they’ve cracked down on that lately.  The categories they used to be able to change it to is not for an ID to an IB but another cabin in ID, if there are any.  
I wouldn’t count on it happening.  This cruise may make your first impression on cruising so, it could be the difference from loving it to not liking it at all.  

We were able to do this in October for our December sailings. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WingerSupreme said:

@Steelers36 just making sure I have this correct.

If I get assigned an ID cabin and there's another ID cabin available that I like better, I can move with no issue. But, if there's an IC/IB cabin available, I'd have to pay/bid to upgrade. Is that right? 

Yes.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Be careful here.  If you have selected the entry level GTY option, the required deposit is non-refundable.  For a sample 10-night voyage to Caribbean next Winter, I noticed it is only $49/pp extra to book an Inside where you choose the location.  You can also do these as GTY.  I would recommend that you book with a Refundable deposit in case plans change because you get money back right up to Final Payment (FP) Date.

Good point. 

However, many sailings now, the first column on the Princess website is showing "fully refundable" deposits. Wonder if they've had a lot of push back?

Edited by startedwithamouse

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Good point. 

However, many sailings now, the first column on the Princess website is showing "fully refundable" deposits. Wonder if they've had a lot of push back?

Won't disagree, but this is not the case for the OP's voyage of choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

This is a bit awkward in the reading.  A guest can elect to move to another available cabin in their category through PCL or TA, depending on who booked with.

I see that now.  Just for reference, to move from one cabin to another in the same category once the bid has been accepted, is no longer allowed.  

We bid from a BD to a premier balcony just recently and ‘won’ the upgrade.  We were just notified of our new cabin. In speaking with my cruise planner, I was told that Polar has now been updated to disallow a move within the same category once that bid has been accepted.  Maybe it can be overridden by someone up the chain but, think they are now discouraging that practice to the point of not even allowing it.  Good thing I was happy with any cabin in the premium cabin category.  By recently, I mean it was just in the last couple of days.  Even my cruise planner was surprised it couldn’t be done.  

• Thanks 1

@WingerSupreme, just took a dive into your voyage.  For $98 total more, you can select any cabin up through IB.  This gives you a wide range of choice since PCL is not charging a premium above IE.  Your deposit is refundable.

Many of us like the "sideways" Inside ones on the Royal Class ships as they have a nice layout for desk and closet area.  I highly recommend booking the refundable deposit whether you decide to choose the cabin or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

This is really good advice.  You should also research at the price increase to go to a Oceanview, as sometimes the delta over an interior isn't that great.