Allowed to take bottled/canned drinks from the ship to Half Moon Cay?

twoshay

Hello!

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring drinks that are bottled/canned from on the ship onto Half Moon Cay?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Puzzling over this question... not sure what you mean by "bottled and canned drinks from the ship."  Do you mean from your mini-bar?  If so, sure, nobody checks the contents of your bag when you leave the ship to get on the tender.  Do you mean bottled/canned drinks you brought on board yourself?  Same answer.  Or do you mean something you bought at a bar that you asked not be opened?  I guess same answer there, sure, why not. But in that case, I don't really get it since you can buy the same drinks at the bars on the island.  Maybe there is some other meaning to this question that I haven't thought of?

2 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Puzzling over this question... not sure what you mean by "bottled and canned drinks from the ship."  Do you mean from your mini-bar?  If so, sure, nobody checks the contents of your bag when you leave the ship to get on the tender.  Do you mean bottled/canned drinks you brought on board yourself?  Same answer.  Or do you mean something you bought at a bar that you asked not be opened?  I guess same answer there, sure, why not. But in that case, I don't really get it since you can buy the same drinks at the bars on the island.  Maybe there is some other meaning to this question that I haven't thought of?

I think HIA doesn't apply to beverages bought on HMC.

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think HIA doesn't apply to beverages bought on HMC.

Ooooh, right. Now it makes sense.  Then yes, I'll bet it would work fine if you got bar cans/bottles using your drink package and asked they not be opened so you can put it in your bag to bring to HMC.. (wouldn't be cold by the time you got there? - my mind always goes to the "what ifs" LOL) I never thought of that, but then I never get a drink package. 

During my last visit to HMC, I watched the couple on the loungers near me proceed to drink white wine (in wine glasses from the ship), poured out of a stainless steel reusable water bottle. It wasn't even 9am, but to each their own? 🙃

2 hours ago, Infi said:

During my last visit to HMC, I watched the couple on the loungers near me proceed to drink white wine (in wine glasses from the ship), poured out of a stainless steel reusable water bottle. It wasn't even 9am, but to each their own? 🙃

They could have been Europeans as it would have been 2pm or 3pm in their time 😉

Ah no, Europeans wouldn't use a stainless water bottle, they would have brought the ice bucket 😇🤣

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Infi said:

If you're going to drink that early, it should be champagne. That is appropriate at ANY hour.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

There is no check of your belongings going off the ship at HMC so you can bring whatever you want in your beach bag. HAL excludes HMC drinks from HIA and you don’t want to pay (twice) for a drink you can certainly bring your own. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

15 hours ago, Moriah said:

wouldn't be cold by the time you got there?

well if one brought their soft-side 6 can lunchbox/cooler, and placed said beverages and ice in it, I believe the temperature would be appropriate. I might be in possession of a version that holds 3 cans and a quart freezer bag of ice that slips into the side pocket of a golf bag.....

• Like 3

Technically, no, you can't bring drinks ashore without paying the appropriate duty, as you'd be smuggling into The Bahamas.Now, one drink may be below the tax threshold, but, technically, should probably be declared. That, in part, is why HIA may not be applicable ehile a actually on the island.

My mother, years ago, almost got in trouble when she may have "smuggled" Coke into The Bahamas at Great Stirrup Cay (now NCL's private island). She was working for a cruise company that sailed large sailing vessels. She regularly traded Coca-cola (Coke soda, in bottles) to the locals for fresh fish for the last night out. Passengers got fresh fish: the lighthouse keepers got caffeine. 

And, yes. she did run away with the "pirate" of a ship's captain, my father.

Edited by FOPMan

20 hours ago, Moriah said:

Ooooh, right. Now it makes sense.  Then yes, I'll bet it would work fine if you got bar cans/bottles using your drink package and asked they not be opened so you can put it in your bag to bring to HMC.. (wouldn't be cold by the time you got there? - my mind always goes to the "what ifs" LOL) I never thought of that, but then I never get a drink package. 

I do have HIA and my thought was to bring a beer or two on shore in some type of cooler bag. Last time I ordered a bucket of beer on Half Moon Cay, they gave me an open basket with ice!  I ended up sharing the beer with those around me before it all went warm.

2 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Technically, no, you can't bring drinks ashore without paying the appropriate duty, as you'd be smuggling into The Bahamas.Now, one drink may be below the tax threshold, but, technically, should probably be declared.

This would fall under the agreement between The Bahamas and CCL which we are not called upon to interpret, and in the absence of advice from the cruise line or the government, my legal opinion is, party on, dude.

By the way, my old tablet bag keeps beer cold just fine.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would 100% do this, not sure if it is technically allowed but  no bag checks getting off of the ship.  Grab a few beers/pops from your package...I would bring a small cooler bag with some ice so they stay chilled.  You could even bring an insulated mug or water bottle and have the bar mix a few drinks for you and put them in before getting off.  

• Like 2