Celebrity suite pricing reality check.

Moby Jones

I just want to highlight why I think Celebrity suite pricing is absolutely ludicrous by comparing fares from Celebrity with their six star luxury sister line Silversea. 

Whilst it's not possible to compare everything exactly, I've deliberately picked ships from each line sailing in the same region over the same month and over the same duration with comparable entry level suites. Though the Silversea rooms are larger. 

Celebrity Summit built in 2001 Max passengers 2218, crew size 1027, gross tonnage 90,940. Sky Suite 2 prices from $5080 includes :-

Premium beverage package
Internet access

vs

Silversea Silver Nova built in 2023. Max passengers 728, crew size 556, gross tonnage 54,700.  Classic verandah suite from $5150 includes :-

Beverage package
Internet access
Gratuities
Shore excursions. 

For people who don't want a larger ship as the destination it's hard to see why anyone would book an old M class ship for a higher fare when you add in the overall value.  

Celeb 1.JPG

Celeb 2.JPG

Silver 1.JPG

Silver 2.JPG

It's a good comparison to do, and one I have also been doing recently.  I do think that small ship sailing isn't for everyone, but there are some benefits to small ships.  Larger ships will have more entertainment and things to do, but are limited for ports.   Smaller ships have less to do on the ship, but they can get into unusual ports.   The entertainment can also be totally different in type. Smaller ships tend to be more educational, and often a higher median age of passenger.   

For any decision between ships, it's about what is driving you to your decision: Lifestyle, ports, vibe, ages, etc, but also the physical - can you handle the rock and roll of a smaller ship in rougher seas?  

The 30k ton ship I was on had unusual entertainment, and the ports were different than normal, but I was bored out of my skull on the ship itself.  A 40k GT ship was the best cruise ever (but it was also in the 90s when the midnight buffets still existed, as did the flaming desserts!) The 225k GT ship had a ton to do, lots of food options, but god forbid I want a lounger at the pool, and I am so sick of the same ports over and over again.

We have Beyond booked for April (second time on this ship) and then Eclipse for April 2025, but I'm already starting to look at other smaller ships - Silversea, Viking River cruises, Windstar and others.  What I want from a cruise now is very different than what I wanted even 10 years ago.  I don't want to have to pay for specialty dining, I don't want to be nickel and dimed, and I want to start seeing new things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moby Jones said:

I just want to highlight why I think Celebrity suite pricing is absolutely ludicrous by comparing fares from Celebrity with their six star luxury sister line Silversea. 

Whilst it's not possible to compare everything exactly, I've deliberately picked ships from each line sailing in the same region over the same month and over the same duration with comparable entry level suites. Though the Silversea rooms are larger. 

Celebrity Summit built in 2001 Max passengers 2218, crew size 1027, gross tonnage 90,940. Sky Suite 2 prices from $5080 includes :-

Nicer room, better service, better excursions (included in the price), higher quality drinks, no Park West art auctions..., butler service, no segregation on the ship, no lines, longer time in ports, often docks closer to where you want to tour... and now often lower cost.  Choice is great!

• Like 1

Silversea is probably far too formal for most people here. Some people (me) place zero value on included shore excursions. That's a detractor for me. 

Just because you can buy BMW for the price of Ford doesn't mean the BMW is hands down the best option. 

• Like 1

Don't forget that Silversea and Regent both include shore excursions in the cruise fare!

I've previously noted in other threads that the base cruise fare for some of the sailings on Celebrity (not including drink packages or gratuities) are higher than base cruise fares on Seabourn, Silversea and/or Regent for similar sailings in similar cabins.  All three of those luxury lines are pretty much "all-inclusive" and include all drinks, most (if not all) dining venues, gratuities, room service and even caviar wherever and whenever you desire! 

Seabourn and Regent do not charge extra for any of their onboard dining options, including in their "specialty" dining venues while Silversea charges a pretty penny for LaDame, Seishin and Kaiseki.  Silversea and Regent include your choice of excursion from a selection of excursions in each port of call (with more extensive excursions available at additional cost) while Seabourn does not include excursions (but does include transportation to town where cruise ports are more remote).  I believe all three lines now include unlimited basic internet (via Starlink) although they may charge extra for more than two devices per cabin or for streaming and VOIP enabled internet.  Seabourn and Silversea generally have a base cruise fare that is lower than fares on Regent.

So for those who enjoy quieter and smaller ships with a higher crew to passenger ratio, more refined and personal service and dining options with a wider variety of offerings that are generally of higher quality (think a two inch thick filet mignon on the "always available" menu) but who are willing to do without the vast entertainment options or waterpark/themepark style amenities provided on many of the ships sailing today, many luxury cruises may offer a better value and a more enjoyable cruise experience!

In any event, choice is good!  Fair winds and following seas to all...🛳️

8 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Good exercise. Thanks. I guess you're paying for the variety of dining/drinking/entertainment options on the Celebrity ships.

The Silver Nova has more dining options than the Summit. No comparison. Great public space and a wide variety of bars too. Celebrity does have more spectacular headliner shows but the performers are equality talented on Silversea. Relaxed dress code on the Nova and which some Silversea regulars don't like.