Advice on cabin location for April TA ?

melusina

We're looking at a 2025 HAL from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona in April 2025 and I'd like advice from people who've been on the Atlantic in April. Ship is Oosterdam.

Choices are:

1)midship, an officially unobstructed but still limited oceanview. We have a hold on one of the last with an " unobstructed" view ( but it's really somewhat obstructed), midship. We're taking our first cruise this spring (Mediterranean) so neither of us knows how motion will affect us, so midship seems a safe choice.

2)  A veranda cabin at the very back, so you'd see the ship's wake and sunsets. I assume it will be too cold to really get a lot of use from the veranda, though perhaps somewhat sheltered from wind. I also worry a little about feeling the motion on the Atlantic. We are introverts who probably would prefer spending more time in the cabin than many people would, if the experience is worth it.

3) An inside cabin plus cabana but i assume it really would be too cold and windy to enjoy that.

Any advice? What's your experience? Things i haven't thought of? Thanks. ( Just don't say the cabin's only to sleep and shower! That's not us).

Edited by melusina
Added ship name

1 hour ago, melusina said:

Any advice? What's your experience? Things i haven't thought of? Thanks. ( Just don't say the cabin's only to sleep and shower! That's not us).

Let's eliminate the inside. That would be to sleep and shower!

The partly (and for that matter the fully) obstructed on deck 4 have windows the size of sliding doors, so lots of light! and a glimpse of the sea. What is the cabin number? I have actually booked one of these cabins but didn't get to sail...

The aft verandahs have many fans, but I think I would stay with the midship room you have on hold, for your situation. 

• Like 1

Aft-facing cabins are highly coveted and hard to come by, for many of the reasons you mentioned.  Being able to see the ocean behind you and being protected from the wind are many of the reasons people like them.  Just try not to get one that is on the floor directly beneath a swimming pool or deck as some people complain they hear noise from above.  If it were me and I could choose, I'd go with option 2.

Midship will have the least “motion of the ocean”.  Transatlantics are usually quite smooth but one never knows what King Neptune decides and if you are in for a couple of rough days - this is the best location for stability on the ship.

Aft verandah - A lot of people love these.  It would be useful to you with the balcony since you are going to spend time in your cabin.  But, in an aft cabin, you can feel vibrations and definitely more motion of the ocean in rougher weather.   What you could potentially do is book this cabin - see how your Med cruise goes and then decide from there.  If the motion and potential vibration doesn’t bother you, it’s ideal.   You should be able to enjoy an aft balcony on a TA.  

Since aft cabins sell out fast, If you don’t feel comfortable with your sea legs after your Med cruise you could potentially change your cabin although it might not be the exact other one you had in mind.  Make sure your cruise is refundable so that if you do decide to change it will not be a problem.

As stated - avoid the deck under the Lido.  Deck 5 has nice aft verandahs.

Inside Cabin - forget it - it’s not an “enjoy time in your cabin” room.  It’s definitely not for you.

If the 2 rooms you have selected are of paramount importance, then go with the midship cabin.

If you can be flexible on the outside cabin if you don’t have sea legs after your cruise, book the aft with a refundable deposit and wait and see.

• Like 1

I booked a partially obstructed on deck 4 for our upcoming TA. I like the bigger windows (balcony slider size) and convenience of the location. I would love an aft view but for 14+ days I want a cabin with less of a walk to get to it. I like popping in and out. Plus I don’t have a balcony budget at the moment. 

• Like 1

We did a TA (opposite direction [Rome->FLL], opposite season [Nov 26-Dec 10]) last year in an aft cabin and would book the same in a heartbeat.

There may have been a tad more movement due to being aft, but the motion doesn't bother us, so it was not an issue (but I understand how it could impact some people). 

There was less wind since it's somewhat protected back there so we were able to really enjoy the views. We huddled under blankets and saw some spectacular seascapes.

The wake views are beautiful and seeing them "live" vs the TV camera are really special. 

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

As a cruiser that has done a high number of cruises, the long and short of it is mid ship for stability issues. If you get seas sick or think you may, see a dr for the scopolamine patches. Otherwise think of it as the front and back (the latter for sure), will give you the most rocking lmotion it that’s an issue. 

I also plan by ports and the direction of the ship whether I pic port or starboard. Sometime you luck out and see land to either side depending on direction ship is going, so I always check the map. 

We've done several TA's....love them.

Motion does not matter to us so we love the VF balcony cabins on deck 8 forward....Never really notice much of a difference no matter where are cabins have been located over the years.....tucked away only one deck away from the gym/spa which we frequent. And easy to get to the lido buffet which we also frequent...LOL. 

Why?

Great price point.  We like the balcony and get a lot of use out of it on the crossing....(we'd not do well in an inside for that cruise because of the many sea days....although we book insides on other cruises often).

For TA's we follow the POSH rule.....Port Out Starboard Home rule as if in England....(where the "rule"/word first came about).....So agree w/above, Starboard side for the sun heading to Europe (Eastbound).

As far as the weather....our experience (which can mean nothing because I've heard folks experience everything on a TA) shorts/Florida weather for the first couple of days....then cooler/long pants as you get closer to Europe...but never experienced jacket/cold weather....(I'm sure others have). We've experienced a sand storm from Africa a day away from the Europe mainland....And lots of rain....We've missed Ponta Delgado on 2 of 3 cruises because of high winds.   Don't fret the weather because it will change often and you can't change it. 

We've sailed the Oosterdam in South America thru the canal and we are also doing the Eastbound TA on her this April....She's a great ship.  

Enjoy the crossing.......