Mumbling about Marina

ORV

5 hours ago, ORV said:

It’s a new day and absolutely beautiful. Schedule says Gerleche Strait  and Wilhelmina Bay, we’ve seen a lot of whales 🐋 and some really impressive icebergs. 

How close do you get to shore? When we were there I remember seeing the "sail by" ships but I can't remember how far out.

On our zodiak excursions we could almost touch the whales. The 'drivers' could clearly see things that we couldn't and they always left their engines idling so the whales knew we were there 🙂

Here's my favorite iceberg. The contrast is light was super.

faveicebert.jpg

whale.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 9:20 AM, bbwex said:

Can you describe this "European" plug a bit more so I know what type of adapter to bring

I believe it is a Type C plug, which also works in Brazils Type N outlets.

On 1/28/2024 at 5:25 PM, ORV said:

So we ate in Red Ginger again and they knocked it out of the park. We had completely different choices than the first time and it was great. Teresa had Carmelized Tiger Shrimp & Watermelon Duck Salad. I had Vegetable Tempura and Potato Rolls for app. Mains were Twice Baked Chicken for me and Bulgogi steak for her. It was as good as we’ve ever had in Red Ginger. We have one more next week and I don’t know how they will top this. 

To top it all off for dessert the Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl……again. Amazing how our small city Midwest team can keep doing this. 

Would I be correct in assuming you booked the extra nights in Red Ginger once you got onboard?

1 hour ago, clojacks said:

Would I be correct in assuming you booked the extra nights in Red Ginger once you got onboard?

The first night we were offered an extra specialty while having lunch after we boarded, the second was the one we selected in advance, tonight, the third was selected by the OCA who invited us for our dinner with an official that is one of the Platinum perks.

We are going to be leaving Antarctica a day early and sailing through the Drake early due to weather reports. We will arrive at Ushaai on the 5th around 1 pm or so depending on weather. The Captain said due to good weather we had seen all of the Antarctic area they had planned on. He said the Drake will be pretty rough but not as bad as the next day

Today was absolutely awesome and amazing. Everyone should do this if they have the opportunity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clojacks said:

The first night we were offered an extra specialty while having lunch after we boarded, the second was the one we selected in advance, tonight, the third was selected by the OCA who invited us for our dinner with an official that is one of the Platinum perks.

We are going to be leaving Antarctica a day early and sailing through the Drake early due to weather reports. We will arrive at Ushaai on the 5th around 1 pm or so depending on weather. The Captain said due to good weather we had seen all of the Antarctic area they had planned on. He said the Drake will be pretty rough but not as bad as the next day

Today was absolutely awesome and amazing. Everyone should do this if they have the opportunity. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ORV said:

So I’m in a public room with comfy chairs and floor to ceiling windows. I’m the only person in here, all other inside venues with a view are wall to wall people. I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before. 

OK, I'll bite, ORV, can't help myself.  How was your pedi?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ORV said:

And/or the expedition-type cruises (never knew that term before).  Here's a photo of a house that you have to climb steep stairs and walk in.

This is completely uninhabited except for a military family who spends one year there. This was a man, woman and two young'ish kids.

We planned this trip two years ahead and, no, it wasn't inexpensive but was one of the best trips ever.

antatartichouse.jpg

On 1/28/2024 at 11:38 AM, SophieM said:

It is the standard two prong European plug. 

there are actually 2 European plugs that are similar.  Type E/F which fit well into the recessed outlet on cruise ships and a Type C which  is physically smaller and more of what you’d find for where the lamp is plugged in.  I’m told that there is a slight difference between the diameter of the pins.  Please note that European is a bit of a misnomer as Italy is Type L and the UK is Type G, if I recall correctly. 

I’ve used the brand Celtic successfully, for many years.  For the US they come with 2 places to plug things into, and in sets of three.  I liked the extra plug for my small Amazon USB plugin charger.

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

On 1/29/2024 at 2:53 PM, ak1004 said:

This is so true, and this is why it's so important to do your home and know what to expect. O is not RCI, although I wish they had more guest lectures. But I guess it also depends how port intensive the cruise is. How many sea days in total do you have?

Thanks pacific we had at least 3 lecturers on RCL.  One I’d seen on Celebrity in the Caribbean.  He has an eclectic set of lectures so very few if any repeats. 

On 2/1/2024 at 8:22 PM, Torquer said:

@ORVThanks for the great info.  We get on Marina on Feb. 14 in San Antonio as you are getting off.

Earlier you mentioned O was offering laundry by the bag for $24.95.  Was that offer really available while the ship was in Antarctic waters or was that for before you got there?  We are in a suite so we get 3 free bags, but that won't be enough and it really complicates things if there is no laundry service or self-serv for 5 days in Antarctica.  This is our first cruise that will have both really hot and really cold weather and we are struggling to figure out how all our clothes will fit in a reasonable number of suitcases so being able to get clothes washed on the ship throughout the cruise would help a lot.

You’d be amazed how much you can get in pretty small laundry bags if you roll the laundry.  And if half the men’s pants rolled up stick out the top that’s acceptable!  

• Haha 1

Well, it was a bit rough for a while, but it’s fine now. Nothing new to report really. 

We had dinner in Polo last night and I tried to branch out and get a Porterhouse, Wound up sending it back and getting a filet instead. It was pretty much all fatty. The filet side had no edible parts and was almost nonexistent, the other side was also fatty. The filet that I replaced it with was perfect. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

You’d be amazed how much you can get in pretty small laundry bags if you roll the laundry.  And if half the men’s pants rolled up stick out the top that’s acceptable!  

I think it’s not a bag specifically but 20 pieces. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well, it was a bit rough for a while, but it’s fine now. Nothing new to report really. 

We had dinner in Polo last night and I tried to branch out and get a Porterhouse, Wound up sending it back and getting a filet instead. It was pretty much all fatty. The filet side had no edible parts and was almost nonexistent, the other side was also fatty. The filet that I replaced it with was perfect. 

Glad you made it back to protected waters with just some rocking.  Enjoy all the glaciers.

We are running out of a few things. No strawberries or blackberries. While I miss them I’m not going to get bent out of shape over it like I’ve heard a couple of people do over the yogurt in the Terrace. While on that subject, I can’t seem to understand how the food staff can bend over backwards for people’s special eating needs but if I ask for something simple like no lettuce on my Club sandwich it blows their minds. I’ve found it’s just easier to take it off myself. 

There are also no pats of butter at breakfast, lunch or dinner in the GDR. They have been replaced by foil wrapped Greenland Farms butter from Wisconsin. 🧀 The horror. Polo still had the little butter pots though. 

Although a bit windy the weather is beautiful again today. Looking forward to Ushuaia. Glad to have internet back but emails are not working. Odd. 

Edited by ORV
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, ORV said:

We are running out of a few things. No strawberries or blackberries. While I miss them I’m not going to get bent out of shape over it like I’ve heard a couple of people do over the yogurt in the Terrace. While on that subject, I can’t seem to understand how the food staff can bend over backwards for people’s special eating needs but if I ask for something simple like no lettuce on my Club sandwich it blows their minds. I’ve found it’s just easier to take it off myself. 

There are also no pats of butter at breakfast, lunch or dinner in the GDR. They have been replaced by foil wrapped Greenland Farms butter from Wisconsin. 🧀 The horror. Polo still had the little butter pots though. 

Although a bit windy the weather is beautiful again today. Looking forward to Ushuaia. Glad to have internet back but emails are not working. Odd. 

No strawberries?

A meeting should be called

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

We got the small bags as I think 21 pieces were being abandoned.  Most of the time they were about the same.  

It's been a few years but I do remember that I wasn't particularly pleased with the cleanliness of the garments and they were super wrinkled. But in our household I'm considered the Laundry Queen so probably just too fussy.

On 2/3/2024 at 8:14 PM, CoolChile said:

OK, I'll bite, ORV, can't help myself.  How was your pedi?

On 2/3/2024 at 8:31 PM, pinotlover said:

Nah! He was pumping iron, working out diligently, in the gym! 🤓

Ok, for any of you on the next cruise that doesn’t want to fight the crowds. The specialty restaurants on 14 are unlocked during the day. Actually Polo is set up in the front for playing cards. No need to fight the crowds in Horizons or freeze outside unless you want to. 

I also understand you’ll have a VIP on board the next cruise, for those in the know he will be instantly recognizable. Let’s just say he’s retired now, but probably doesn’t need a boarding pass. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

Ok, for any of you on the next cruise that doesn’t want to fight the crowds. The specialty restaurants on 14 are unlocked during the day. Actually Polo is set up in the front for playing cards. No need to fight the crowds in Horizons or freeze outside unless you want to. 

I also understand you’ll have a VIP on board the next cruise, for those in the know he will be instantly recognizable. Let’s just say he’s retired now, but probably doesn’t need a boarding pass. 

Dang!!! I knew he was going to be on the Marina for some version of this cruise. Was really hoping it was ours.