Mumbling about Marina

ORV

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

Most other lines use "Alfa" (Yeah, with an 'f')

Since the other codes you named are taken from the NATO phonetic alphabet, I strongly suspect this one is also from the NATO phonetic alphabet, so it would be  Alpha, not "Alfa".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Since the other codes you named are taken from the NATO phonetic alphabet, I strongly suspect this one is also from the NATO phonetic alphabet, so it would be  Alpha, not "Alfa".

NATO started with "Alpha", but ICAO and --more importantly-- the IMO preferred "Alfa", and NATO formally adopted ICAO's "Alfa" (and "Juliett"), effective 1 JAN 1956.

You're right that there's a lot of "Alpha" running around, but non-English speaking folks often have no clue how to pronounce "ph".

• Thanks 1

I thought we were back out in the open sea. We’ve been rolling around for the past few hours. 

Nothing new to report, but I just got up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chacabuco Chile today, tender port. Water is smooth as glass. We got here about an hour early. I’ll bet our new Captain is going to get in trouble for not going slow enough to save fuel. 🙄 Why this whole cruise we’ve been getting to ports early, going too fast and spending way too much in port fees due to extra time there. All those things the anti posters say Oceania isn’t supposed to do. Go figure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

I don’t mind at all. Feel free to keep it going. Or I won’t be offended if you start one of your own. Your call

I feel like the most useful threads are those from people who are actually on board and can provide observations and feedback in real time. This one has been a terrific example of that. 

So, let's keep this going.  I'll even try to be helpful and somewhat serious in answering questions, as best I can 😇.   

• Like 5

I guess I’m a bit off a Pollyanna or give people too much credit, but as we got off the tender and went through security there was fruit coming out of bags right and left. The port workers will have a smorgasbord of fruits today. This despite the multiple announcements by the Cd and notices in Currents. SMH

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ORV said:

I guess I’m a bit off a Pollyanna or give people too much credit, but as we got off the tender and went through security there was fruit coming out of bags right and left. The port workers will have a smorgasbord of fruits today. This despite the multiple announcements by the Cd and notices in Currents. SMH

That's just bananas, figuratively.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Today is Castro Chile. A little overcast and cooler but in the mid 60s.  There’s a shuttle going to the main drag I hope. We’ll see. 

no tours for us today. Dinner last night again in Toscano. There have been plenty of opportunities on this cruise for extra reservations for a number of reasons. Multiple people have mentioned to us they got extras in pretty much any they wanted. More later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So that was short and sweet. Being Sunday the whole town was pretty much closed except for a drug store and maybe 1 cafe. A little handicraft market for mainly wool and yarn items was open. I think the tours today went to churches and one went to a park. 

Not the most prosperous place we’ve been to on this trip, and that’s being nice about it. But the sun is shining and it’s a pretty day for now. 

We booked a cruise in December to get the on board booking perks.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve seen mentioned lately that the end of cruise survey has not been mentioned or offered anymore. Not the case on Marina. I just finished mine and between logging in to it, navigating the process and actually trying to get it to complete it will drive you to drink. Which I’m doing right now. I started on my phone and finished at the computer station. I think I completed it but it’s designed so poorly it’s really hard to tell. I’m going to check with the computer guy when he’s back at 4. I hate to complain or be negative but this process has almost as many issues as the Brazilian visa process. And that’s saying a lot. 

IMG_1112.jpegThere is also a mention in Currents about it. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

I’ve seen mentioned lately that the end of cruise survey has not been mentioned or offered anymore. Not the case on Marina. I just finished mine and between logging in to it, navigating the process and actually trying to get it to complete it will drive you to drink. Which I’m doing right now. I started on my phone and finished at the computer station. I think I completed it but it’s designed so poorly it’s really hard to tell. I’m going to check with the computer guy when he’s back at 4. I hate to complain or be negative but this process has almost as many issues as the Brazilian visa process. And that’s saying a lot. 

IMG_1112.jpegThere is also a mention in Currents about it. 

Yeah, the survey is what’s driving you to drink! Nice try!! 😉

They also mentioned it many times on our cruise on Sirena and as you note was also in Currents.   And before departing they announced the two people who received the $100 SBC for completing it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Lots of cleaning and touch ups like this going on all around the ship. I wonder why. 

IMG_1113.jpeg

They want to make sure it is all up to Shepherd really’s standards so the Mumblings on Marina doesn’t become Grumblings on Marina. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

They want to make sure it is all up to Shepherd really’s standards so the Mumblings on Marina doesn’t become Grumblings on Marina.  

I'm not even on the ship yet but I’m having a great time in Santiago, so don’t expect too much grumbling from me. No more than my usual amount. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I'm not even on the ship yet but I’m having a great time in Santiago, so don’t expect too much grumbling from me. No more than my usual amount. 

We have two days and one with nothing planned. What great things are you doing?

On 2/8/2024 at 4:43 PM, Snaefell3 said:

If they do, *much* better in the Chilean Fjords than the out-of-range Palmer Peninsula, and much better, too, if they have *adequate* evacuation coverage.

"Mike" is Oceania's.  Most other lines use "Alfa" (Yeah, with an 'f').  The two to worry 'bout are "Bravo" (fire) and "Echo" (collision/allision/loss of stability).

When we cruised to Antarctica we had to have a statement/form from our PCP attesting to our (relative) health.

On 2/9/2024 at 2:47 AM, shepherd really said:

My donkey is braying, which is a Code Alfalfa, so I need to feed her.

Long ago I bought a mare who was quite underweight. She greeted me lovingly when she heard me coming down to the barn with THAT treat.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:25 AM, shepherd really said:

@ORV I'm leaving this morning for Santiago, I have a question. 

Since I'll be getting on Marina as you are leaving, would you mind if I continued posting my own mumblings and musings on Marina on this thread or would you prefer that I start my own? 

Allow me to put in that I really like this thread and hope it continues.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

10 hours ago, ORV said:

We booked a cruise in December to get the on board booking perks.   

Where to then?

8 hours ago, clo said:

Where to then?

Just Caribbean, to Cartenga and back, 20 days, 2 cruise credits. Just building for the second free one and getting away for a bit. 

• Like 2